Napping. Do u use cpap for naps too?

General Discussion on any topic relating to CPAP and/or Sleep Apnea.
yoyoyomonica

Napping. Do u use cpap for naps too?

Post by yoyoyomonica » Fri Feb 08, 2013 10:40 am

I was wondering. Do u use a cpap for naps too? How long should i nap for? any ideas. i dont want to over sleep. i am so very tired today. I slept 10 hours last night. Day 9 cpap

bap40

Re: Napping. Do u use cpap for naps too?

Post by bap40 » Fri Feb 08, 2013 10:53 am

I was told to always use it for napping included BUT I have found personally for me if I sleep on the couch, on my side I have no problems... If I choose to nap in bed, I always hose up. I try to only sleep for an hour since the times I sleep longer the harder it was to get moving afterwards.
Brooke

Sheriff Buford

Post by Sheriff Buford » Fri Feb 08, 2013 10:56 am

The correct answer is yes because you will experience sleep apnea during naps and damage to your body will occur. Now.... I... er.... if I'm decide to take a cat-nap in my recliner, I will do so without the cpap. If I decide to lie down for a nap... I will mask up. I found that I do feel better when I take the longer naps lying down with the mask.

Sheriff

CavemanSean

Post by CavemanSean » Fri Feb 08, 2013 10:58 am

I use mine every time I even think of going to sleep...

BlackSpinner

Post by BlackSpinner » Fri Feb 08, 2013 11:14 am

When sleeping you use your cpap machine. It doesn't mater what you call it, sleep is sleep.

71. The lame can ride on horseback, the one-handed drive cattle. The deaf, fight and be useful. To be blind is better than to be burnt on the pyre. No one gets good from a corpse. The Havamal

kteague

Post by kteague » Fri Feb 08, 2013 11:21 am

Any time I am lying down to sleep I use the machine, as I will start having apneas almost immediately. I usually nap sitting up with one of those c-shaped pillows supporting my neck so my head can't fall forward or backward. My problem is the naps that catch me by surprise. If I were the person who knows that their apnea is mostly positional and their nap will be on their side, or knows their events are mostly during REM and their nap will be too short for that and just light dozing - hey, I might be tempted to lay down and take a quick nap without the machine. But that isn't me. My doctor suggested if I plan a nap in my schedule and just go ahead and get in the bed with the machine to avoid bad naps.

At 9 days in with some of those nights spent going through some adjustments, it's not surprising you are feeling the need for a nap. The hard thing at this point is knowing if you're craving more sleep because it's finally good and the body often wants more of it during a recovery period, or if you're needing more sleep because what you're getting may have quantity but not quality. Data is your friend. If you are not having insomnia issues, I wouldn't fight the naps at this point. If in a few weeks of consistent therapeutic treatment your body hasn't started requiring less sleep, that would merit a talk with your doctor. Some people find they need medications adjusted once their brain and body is getting adequate rest and oxygen on a regular basis. That may be another talk to have with your doctors.

But since you asked, just from reading your posts and knowing you have several health issues you are dealing with, I think you should give yourself every advantage in trying to reach your best you, and use the CPAP for your naps. At this point in treatment I didn't know enough about my sleep yet to even guess at if it was ok or not to nap without it. You don't want to take backward steps between the forward ones.

yoyoyomonica

Post by yoyoyomonica » Fri Feb 08, 2013 5:18 pm

Ok u guys are awesome!! I did take a nap with the cpap and I slept very well. 2 hours in fact. It was nice. I really helped my headache too. I am so happy I have this site to come to for advice. I didnt realized how much was involved with this whole process.

SusieG

Post by SusieG » Fri Feb 08, 2013 5:40 pm

Papnap...the best!!!

LSAT

Post by LSAT » Fri Feb 08, 2013 6:00 pm

yoyoyomonica wrote:I was wondering. Do u use a cpap for naps too? How long should i nap for? any ideas. i dont want to over sleep. i am so very tired today. I slept 10 hours last night. Day 9 cpap
Boy..sleeping 10 hours after only 9 days on CPAP...YOU ARE DOING GREAT. Maybe you are just catching up for all the sleep you lost before CPAP.

JO'M

Post by JO'M » Fri Feb 08, 2013 6:36 pm

If I'm going to sleep, I try to make sure it is in my bed. And I mask up.
SusieG wrote:Papnap...the best!!!
love this

archangle

Post by archangle » Fri Feb 08, 2013 11:37 pm

One warning. If you're moving the CPAP machine for naps, take the water tank out before moving it. Getting the water into the blower unit is a very expensive mistake.

Don't let kids, hubby, BF, mom, dad, maid, etc. help and end up drowning the machine.

Please enter your equipment in your profile so we can help you.
Click here for information on the most common alternative to CPAP.
If it's midnight and a DME tells you it's dark outside, go and check for yourself.

Useful Links.

DavidCarolina

Post by DavidCarolina » Sat Feb 09, 2013 11:47 am

Its not worth it to find out if you can nap for an hour and find out.

Once you stop breathing you've messed up all kinds of things including your central nervous system.

Ive fallen asleep a few times and seriously regretted it, and a few times and felt slightly off.

One night i got caught in a hotel without my machine and tried to sleep on my stomach with two pillows
but i woke up 3 hours later in a world of hurt.

I wish i was one of the people who could survive without cpap in an emergency but im not.

chunkyfrog
Location: Nebraska--I am sworn to keep the secret of this paradise.

Post by chunkyfrog » Sat Feb 09, 2013 12:05 pm

I can't remember the last time I took a nap--before cpap, that's it!