Aliases

General Discussion on any topic relating to CPAP and/or Sleep Apnea.
pikov22

Aliases

Post by pikov22 » Wed Mar 06, 2013 7:14 pm

Why does everyone here post under an alias?

And why do people change aliases every so often?

Just wonderin'!!
-----------
Holding on to anger is like grasping a hot coal with the intent of throwing it at someone else; YOU are the one who gets burned.

quietmorning

Re: Aliases

Post by quietmorning » Wed Mar 06, 2013 7:17 pm

I try to keep my full name off the net for safety reasons.

I don't change my alias, though - and have no problem with people knowing my first name. I don't have an issue of them knowing my last name as long as they keep it off the net.

49er

Post by 49er » Wed Mar 06, 2013 7:19 pm

pikov22 wrote:Why does everyone here post under an alias?

Just wonderin'!!
Can't speak for the folks who change theirs but the reason I chose an alias is I don't want my employer or potential employers reading my posts about having sleep apnea.

49er

jencat824

Post by jencat824 » Wed Mar 06, 2013 7:20 pm

quietmorning wrote:I try to keep my full name off the net for safety reasons.

I don't change my alias, though - and have no problem with people knowing my first name. I don't have an issue of them knowing my last name as long as they keep it off the net.
DITTO!

Other masks I've tried: *=liked, #= no way
Piliaro, SleepWeaver Elan*, Swift FX w&w/o Bella Loops#, OpitLife#,Simplicity*, Mirage Vista*, Go Life for Her#, IQ (original hg only)*, Quattro FX (barely)###, Wisp*, Nuance#, Swift LT for her**

Pugsy

Post by Pugsy » Wed Mar 06, 2013 7:23 pm

Some people just like to use different names. Whatever their reason it's enough to simply want to change it.
Some people have worn out their welcome with one screen name so they sneak back in without getting caught.
Some people feel their private life real name is just what I said...private. There's a bunch of sickos out there...never know who might be stalking whom in today's cyber world.
Some just like creative screen ID names just for fun...imaginative names.

If you want to try the Eclipse mask and want a special promo code to get a little off the price...send me a private message.

khauser

Post by khauser » Wed Mar 06, 2013 7:23 pm

Er, um....

I don't!

Julie

Post by Julie » Wed Mar 06, 2013 7:56 pm

What we also like to change is our 'avatar', the persona+picture on the side... I've kept my 'forum' name the same for years, but changed the picture a couple of times.

archangle

Post by archangle » Wed Mar 06, 2013 8:00 pm

Many of us are in the Witless Protection Program.

Please enter your equipment in your profile so we can help you.
Click here for information on the most common alternative to CPAP.
If it's midnight and a DME tells you it's dark outside, go and check for yourself.

Useful Links.

pikov22

Post by pikov22 » Wed Mar 06, 2013 8:03 pm

archangle wrote:Many of us are in the Witless Protection Program.
Finally, an answer I can believe!!! ;-P
-----------
Holding on to anger is like grasping a hot coal with the intent of throwing it at someone else; YOU are the one who gets burned.

pikov22

Post by pikov22 » Wed Mar 06, 2013 8:05 pm

quietmorning wrote:I try to keep my full name off the net for safety reasons.

I have been using the Internet since before there was a World Wide Web,and before that, I used CompuServe. I used my real name almost everywhere and have not run a foul of any stalkers.

It's not your name you have to protect -- it's your SSN, bank account numbers, mother's maiden name, etc.
-----------

pikov22

Post by pikov22 » Wed Mar 06, 2013 8:06 pm

49er wrote:
pikov22 wrote:Why does everyone here post under an alias?

Just wonderin'!!
Can't speak for the folks who change theirs but the reason I chose an alias is I don't want my employer or potential employers reading my posts about having sleep apnea.

49er
Why is that? That way they'll know you are ill rather thinking you're just a lazy bum!
-----------

pikov22

Post by pikov22 » Wed Mar 06, 2013 8:09 pm

Pugsy wrote:Some people just like to use different names. Whatever their reason it's enough to simply want to change it.
Some people have worn out their welcome with one screen name so they sneak back in without getting caught.
Some people feel their private life real name is just what I said...private. There's a bunch of sickos out there...never know who might be stalking whom in today's cyber world.
Some just like creative screen ID names just for fun...imaginative names.
Call me old-fashioned but I find it difficult to have a serious discussion with someone who is hiding their identity. (Not you, Pugsy. I know your name. :~>)

I hate it when strangers call me "Pikov", especially in a doctor's office.
-----------

chunkyfrog
Location: Nebraska--I am sworn to keep the secret of this paradise.

Post by chunkyfrog » Wed Mar 06, 2013 8:13 pm

Since the time of each post is recorded, it might not be so good to let the boss know what you've been doing at "work".

VikingGnome

Post by VikingGnome » Wed Mar 06, 2013 8:14 pm

pikov22 wrote:It's not your name you have to protect -- it's your SSN, bank account numbers, mother's maiden name, etc.
Well in the era of ANCESTRY.COM, mother's maiden name is hanging out there for the world to see through grandparents and further up the tree. I've been doing genealogy for 25 years. So whenever I am asked to supply my mother's maiden name, I have secret name I use instead of the real one. If I have to say what it is to confirm my identity, the person always does a double take and says, "Is that really her name?" My reply is always, "That is the name I choose to use."

mollete

Post by mollete » Wed Mar 06, 2013 8:17 pm