How Many Of Us Actually LIKE PAP ?

General Discussion on any topic relating to CPAP and/or Sleep Apnea.
DavidCarolina

How Many Of Us Actually LIKE PAP ?

Post by DavidCarolina » Wed Apr 03, 2013 1:48 am

Rightfully so, there are so many folk here struggling to adapt to putting on the scuba gear every night and trying to breathe normally. I empathyze with their plight, leaks, claustrophobia, feelings of suffocation, and infuriating bouts with ripping the mask off and trying to find a comfortable sleep position.

But I've seen glimpses of people, like me, who actually like PAP therapy. I took to it right away during the second half of my sleep study at Mayo.
Here's why:
--it was re assuring to hear that deep breathing apparatus doing its work--it made me feel like i had the chance to get healthy again. Oxygen is the fuel we live on every second of our lives. Pap reminds us of that.

--i liked the air flow as long as the air coming in wasnt oppressively warm like sitting in a sauna. Granted, I had another med condition that caused "air hunger" and PAP helped with that.

--i liked hearing the rhythm and cadences of the breathing process and settling into a yoga-like practice of relaxation by breathing from the gut and not the shallow breathing we americans practice from the chest. I had to re-learn how to breathe right and PAP helped with that.

I should ADD that I dont "get" the obsessional technology "breakthroughs" on the new machines:

1. Machines you cant hear working. Whats the point? I want to hear it working and the noise becomes reassuring and drowns out other noisy distractions.It "regulated" my breathing habit.

2. Machines that look like clock radios. Who cares? Only my wife sees whats in the bedroom anyway. Or friends who were genuinely curious about it.

3. Tiny thin hoses. Theyre about 1/4 inch "slimmer" and nobody can really tell the difference

4. After a few weeks the gear actually puts me to sleep--hearing the breathing in and out is as cool as the sound a scuba regulator makes and lulls you to sleep by the droning cadence.

5. After practice for many its anything but claustrophobic, it becomes your source of fresh air that you tap into every night like finding an oasis of water. I dont like ramp either, why suck in air trying to get enough when you can get all you want right away?

*** I do admit that hardcore breakthrough technology such as the s9's ability to isolate centrals and periodic breathing problems is BRILLIANT and should be incorporate into EVERY machine. Individualized exhalation relief and high-tech masks have also revolutionized healing and compliance.

Goofproof

Re: How Many Of Us Actually LIKE PAP ?

Post by Goofproof » Wed Apr 03, 2013 2:05 am

I'm no fool, XPAP beats dieing in your sleep or damaging your body farther than not using XPAP. If you don't want to live, walk the railroad tracks or jump off a bridge, it quicker. Jim

I chose XPAP over 7 years ago and never looked back, my mother didn't raise no fools or quiters.
Use data to optimize your xPAP treatment!

"The art of medicine consists in amusing the patient while nature cures the disease." Voltaire

Denial Dave

Post by Denial Dave » Wed Apr 03, 2013 4:14 am

I don't like CPAP, but I like the results from it

going to bed used to be so much easier without having to strap an alien onto my face every night.

if you don't know where you are going... any road will take you there.... George Harrison

britinjapan

Post by britinjapan » Wed Apr 03, 2013 5:10 am

I`ve got used to it...gets me to sleep! Love it actually

PreemieNrsTiffy

Post by PreemieNrsTiffy » Wed Apr 03, 2013 6:35 am

Even though I had some trouble adjusting the first week or so, I immediately started sleeping well without scary doses of medications and with 0-1 bathroom trips during sleep. Within 2 weeks I would wake up believing the gear was off only to find it all in place.

Cavmdc

Post by Cavmdc » Wed Apr 03, 2013 6:46 am

I love it ! It makes me feel so much better.

Greg

Greg

bradleyjoe

Post by bradleyjoe » Wed Apr 03, 2013 7:15 am

I was lucky I took to cpap right away I love it and can't sleep with out it

Julie

Post by Julie » Wed Apr 03, 2013 7:42 am

"
"
"
"
"
"

Sheriff Buford

Post by Sheriff Buford » Wed Apr 03, 2013 7:56 am

Good question to ponder I don't know if I love it more than I am addicted to it, but I do love the results of it. There are times when I get groggy and if the thought of a nap starts to "set in", I think about using the mask and sorta "dislike it". It's a fleeting thought, but its there...

Sheriff

m1k2s3

Post by m1k2s3 » Wed Apr 03, 2013 8:15 am

Interesting question - do I like PAP? Initially I didn't like the idea of having to depend on a machine to sleep. I didn't like the idea of needing this machine for the rest of my life. But once I had my first good nights sleep and experienced what it felt like, I was hooked. I couldn't believe what I had been missing. I've been on CPAP for about 6 years and it definitely has improved my sleep and now I feel better during the day. But do I like it - not really. I'd prefer to be like other people who don't need it to sleep. I guess it's become part of my routine, similar to when I read, I put on my glasses - when I go to bed I put on my mask.

msla

Post by msla » Wed Apr 03, 2013 8:58 am

I love it. I would love not having to use it too. Nevertheless, I still love it.

ResMed S9 Auto set/Heated humidifier/AirFit N30i
diagnosed and began CPAP treatment 2003.

chunkyfrog
Location: Nebraska--I am sworn to keep the secret of this paradise.

Post by chunkyfrog » Wed Apr 03, 2013 9:09 am

I was eager to finally find relief from all the misery put on me by my apnea.
It is my security, my "blankie". I love it.
If I didn't have to tape, I'd be like "nom-nom" on my thumby.
Wait! I wonder if an orthodontic pacifier would keep my yap shut?

NotLazyJustTired

Post by NotLazyJustTired » Wed Apr 03, 2013 9:23 am

At three weeks in I can't say I love it, yet. I do love the idea of the number of years it is adding to my life. And I am looking forward to getting off some of the meds I am on now which I am convinced are linked to OSA! I am already seeing a decrease in my BP!

"So oftentimes it happens, that we live our lives in chains, and we never even know we have the key."
...from The Eagles, "Already Gone"

Sleep Well, Frank

Pugsy

Post by Pugsy » Wed Apr 03, 2013 9:26 am

Do I like it? Not really. I would really rather not have to use it.
If I was diabetic would I like giving myself shots? Nope.

But it is something I have no choice about unless you call not using it a choice and I don't classify that as a viable option.
So here I am making the best of it but I really would rather not use the mask and machine if it came right down to what I would rather do and not what I have to do.

I do appreciate that it works and how much better I feel and I know how crappy I would feel without it ...so I like the results but I don't like using the machine. Sorry but I just don't.
Since I have no other viable options...I make the best of it by trying out new things and trying to keep things from getting boring so I try to keep it interesting and challenging.

If you want to try the Eclipse mask and want a special promo code to get a little off the price...send me a private message.

cobra4x4

Post by cobra4x4 » Wed Apr 03, 2013 9:30 am

I like it, don't love it but just like it.
It gives me better health and lots more energy.
That being said and more importantly my wife loves it because she can now get a peaceful nights sleep.

I would prefer to not have any medical issues requiring specialized equipment but this isn't that bad.
If it were not for her, I'd still be without treatment having a hard time breathing during sleep or worse.