DME prescription

General Discussion on any topic relating to CPAP and/or Sleep Apnea.
pandatx

DME prescription

Post by pandatx » Mon Apr 08, 2013 1:01 pm

My sleep doctor's office emailed me another draft of the RX. Why would CPAP but not Auto CPAP be checked? Also, why "replacement cushion but not replacement pillows"? Or full face mask (what if I wanted to try that)? Does anyone know if the prescribing doctor needs to be in the state that I live in? I have family that are doctors in 3 other states.

cosmo

Re: DME prescription

Post by cosmo » Mon Apr 08, 2013 1:04 pm

Probably doing in spite. Print out the cpap.com rx form and have another person with acceptable credentials fill 'er out and live stress free.
Last edited by cosmo on Mon Apr 08, 2013 1:06 pm, edited 1 time in total.

pandatx

Post by pandatx » Mon Apr 08, 2013 1:05 pm

EDITED..just saw you said cpap.com

WIll go there and find it.

chunkyfrog
Location: Nebraska--I am sworn to keep the secret of this paradise.

Post by chunkyfrog » Mon Apr 08, 2013 1:22 pm

My former DME's don't even know they've been fired. (maybe they assume I quit)
I just switched my business--none of their beeswax!
I still have a hook in them in case I need them for something --if that ever happens.
(What size ice skates do they wear in Hades?)

Last edited by chunkyfrog on Mon Apr 08, 2013 6:56 pm, edited 1 time in total.

zoocrewphoto

Post by zoocrewphoto » Mon Apr 08, 2013 2:31 pm

chunkyfrog wrote:My former DME's don't even know they've been fired. (maybe they they assume I quit)
I just switched my business--none of their beeswax!
I still have a hook in them in case I need them for something --if that ever happens.
(What size ice skates do they wear in Hades?)
Same here. I didn't bother to tell them they were fired. I just went elsewhere. In fact, I just ordered some supplies over the phone. The lady was really nice, didn't have any issues with anything I needed, even the special order headgear. She did say it may take a little longer, but it was super quick last time and a special order. She also said she would mention in their feedback that they have had requests for a quattro Fx extra small. I had asked if they happened to have added that size since my last order. Not expecting a yes, but can't hurt to ask.

Who would have thought it would be this challenging to sleep and breathe at the same time?

pandatx

Post by pandatx » Mon Apr 08, 2013 3:06 pm

If anybody wouldn't mind showing me what they're prescription looks like then I'll know exactly what to tell the next person to check.

Also, does anyone know if the prescribing doctor has to be in the same state?

pandatx

Post by pandatx » Mon Apr 08, 2013 3:29 pm

Halleluja! They just emailed me the DME order with EVERYTHING checked under "other prescribed". They STILL did not check "AUTO CPAP", only "CPAP" even though I have an S9 Autoset but I figure I won't argue over that b/c by the time I need a new machine I will have a different doctor to fill out the order for it. At least now, I can find a different DME for the other stuff. Holy crap, what an ordeal.

Pugsy

Post by Pugsy » Mon Apr 08, 2013 3:37 pm

Normally prescriptions are only good for the state the doctor practices medicine in...this would be for like oral meds.

CPAP RX seems to be accepted universally. My Missouri RX was good enough to satisfy cpap.com RX requirements for supplies requiring RX. So I don't think the state thing is a big deal for cpap stuff. None of the online sellers mention state of RX origin...only that RX is required for some items. So I don't think you will have any issues there.
Cpap.com is in Texas and they are happy to sell me RX items.

BTW...a RX for a cpap machine will allow you to purchase an APAP machine because an APAP machine is a CPAP machine...it just happens to have auto adjusting pressure capabilities.

Now if you ever decide you want a bilevel machine then that cpap RX won't work.

If you want to try the Eclipse mask and want a special promo code to get a little off the price...send me a private message.

pandatx

Post by pandatx » Mon Apr 08, 2013 3:41 pm

Thanks Pugsy. Then I should be all set now, I think. The DME's (or CPAP.com) don't contact your doctor every time you order equipment, do they?

I can't believe what they put you through to get that information. I bet a lot of people either just don't question them or give up. But, you know...I'm not a quitter, lol.

Pugsy

Post by Pugsy » Mon Apr 08, 2013 3:58 pm

pandatx wrote:The DME's (or CPAP.com) don't contact your doctor every time you order equipment, do they?
Cpap.com for sure won't contact the doctor. There's no need.

Now some DMEs might have their own in house rules about things or your insurance company might but generally no further contact is needed.
I have a DME for masks (might as well use my insurance to help pay the bills) and they have never said a word about contacting the doctor. So I do use them to get masks and some supplies per the insurance replacement schedule but if I save money ordering online or they don't carry a mask that I want to try...I will use cpap.com.

If you want to try the Eclipse mask and want a special promo code to get a little off the price...send me a private message.

StuUnderPressure

Post by StuUnderPressure » Mon Apr 08, 2013 4:02 pm

Pugsy wrote:BTW...a RX for a cpap machine will allow you to purchase an APAP machine because an APAP machine is a CPAP machine...it just happens to have auto adjusting pressure capabilities.
That is undoubtedly an accurate statement.

And I think that would be the case with cpap.com & maybe even some of the other online sellers.

But, my experience has been that local brick & mortar DMEs would NOT give you an APAP with just a CPAP RX. They would require an APAP prescription & also the pressure range.

In fact, when I got my S9 AutoSet (with an APAP RX & a pressure range), the DME required a separate RX for the mask because my initial APAP RX merely stated "mask of patient's choice". The Sleep Doctor sent them another but different preprinted RX with numerous masks listed, but the Sleep Doctor did NOT check any of the boxes. I did get the mask I wanted. To this day, I still don't know why that satisfied the DME. OR maybe they never read the 2nd RX because it really did not give them the guidance they wanted.

SD Card Formatter 5.0.2 https://www.sdcard.org/downloads/format ... index.html

Pugsy

Post by Pugsy » Mon Apr 08, 2013 4:08 pm

StuUnderPressure wrote:But, my experience has been that local brick & mortar DMEs would NOT give you an APAP with just a CPAP RX. They would require an APAP prescription & also the pressure range.
Yeah, I know that DMEs won't sometimes (well actually often I guess)...but they could if they just would do it. They like to dig in their heels whenever they get a chance to.
There DMEs out there who never give out anything but APAP machines that are full data. Yep its true...there are some good ones out there.
All they have to do is set the machine to cpap mode at the RX pressure to legally satisfy the RX requirements.

LSAT

Post by LSAT » Mon Apr 08, 2013 4:55 pm

My DME has on file a prescription from my original doctor 5 years ago. They have never asked me for an update. I have not seen that doctor since he wrote the script. My pulmonologist has written me an up to date prescription that I have kept in the event I need it. My DME has no idea who my current doctor(s) are. Once you are past your 90 days you are essentially on your own. Change your (in network) DME as often as you like. I am currently using 2 different DMEs. Each thinks I use them exclusively.

SleepWellCPAP

Post by SleepWellCPAP » Mon Apr 08, 2013 5:16 pm

Hello Panda!

Was busier than a one arm paperhanger today, hope things went alright going back to the pillows.

Was looking for the pugs and yogakitty and I didn't see you all, so I thought I should check in.

No need to post if you're busy, will look again tomorrow. Have a great day!

Jim
Jim Swearingen
Author of the book Sleep Well & Feel Great with CPAP, a definitive guide
For a free copy inquire with your local county librarian
CPAPtalk featured - Also available through Barnes & Noble Booksellers

pandatx

Post by pandatx » Mon Apr 08, 2013 6:46 pm

Hey Jim! Yeah, busy day today. I did not do well with the pillows last night. At 1:00 I switched to the Mirage Nasal Mask with the liner (RemZzzz) and did okay. But I'd really like to try the Aloha. Unfortunately my DME probably won't get it for me and I'm sick to death of arguing with these people. I just feel like I don't have an iota of this arguing left in me. Today. Maybe tomorrow I'll start this stupid fight again. I think its awful that I'm having to settle for a mask that doesn't work for me and they aren't working with me to find one that does.