moisture in mouth

General Discussion on any topic relating to CPAP and/or Sleep Apnea.
oldmatelot

moisture in mouth

Post by oldmatelot » Fri Apr 12, 2013 11:38 am

Have been having trouble getting enough humidity - waking up with "desert mouth" and someone mentioned a spray to help with this-- Has anyone used same and if so what is the brand
Thanks

Pugsy

Re: moisture in mouth

Post by Pugsy » Fri Apr 12, 2013 11:46 am

Biotene makes several different products designed to add moisture to the mouth when a person has dry mouth problems.
Mouthwash, gel, sprays, etc.
Usually found in the mouthwash section of places like Walmart.
Or online just google Biotene to see what they make.

If you want to try the Eclipse mask and want a special promo code to get a little off the price...send me a private message.

xenablue

Post by xenablue » Fri Apr 12, 2013 11:52 am

Are you sure your mouth isn't just falling open during sleep? I have this happen occasionally and I'm getting plenty of humidity.

cheers,
xena

oldmatelot

Post by oldmatelot » Fri Apr 12, 2013 5:01 pm

I am a mouth breather -- have had the machine in twice in the last 2 weeks and they say all is OK with it.

Get about 2 hours sleep and then up with a severely dry mouth.

salton

Post by salton » Fri Apr 12, 2013 6:50 pm

I had to tape my mouth shut and use a chin strap. After a few weeks, I am now able to just use the tape and not the strap. A couple times this week I took off the tape in the night and did not get "Sahara Mouth".
I think it is a bit of learning from repetition. A lot of this whole hosehead thing seems to be about learning new behavior. Given enough time you can adapt to almost anything.

LSAT

Post by LSAT » Fri Apr 12, 2013 8:59 pm

oldmatelot wrote:I am a mouth breather -- have had the machine in twice in the last 2 weeks and they say all is OK with it.

Get about 2 hours sleep and then up with a severely dry mouth.
What machine are you using...What mask are you using. If you are a mouth breather you should be using a full face mask or using a chin strap or taping your mouth.

oldmatelot

Post by oldmatelot » Sat Apr 13, 2013 7:04 am

I have a Quattro FX full face mask and a Remstar Pro C Flex + All had been going OK for about a year and then this happened

Pugsy

Post by Pugsy » Sat Apr 13, 2013 7:16 am

oldmatelot wrote:All had been going OK for about a year and then this happened
Since this is a new problem...has anything changed that might be adding to the problem?
First suspect might be medications which might dry out the mouth and/or cause the unwanted wake ups?

Another suspect might be overall humidity levels in the home and the machine's ability to deliver added moisture.
oldmatelot wrote:Remstar Pro C Flex +
Which model? If just a year old it likely would be either the 450 or 460.
If the 450 the default humidification system doesn't use as much water. What is the setting for the humidifier?
There may be a way of adding a little more moisture by changing the default humidification to Classic mode which would allow for more added moisture.

If you want to try the Eclipse mask and want a special promo code to get a little off the price...send me a private message.

oldmatelot

Post by oldmatelot » Sun Apr 14, 2013 5:28 am

have had it put on classic mode and one night it was good then yuk - no humidity-- had it checked again and was told all was OK with the machine

it seems to me that the machine is not working properly - as I changed it from Classic mode back to regular 2 nights ago set at 5 and the last 2 nights have been acceptable.

have had a room humidifier running in the bedroom for about a week now and the last 2 nights I finally got most of a nights sleep

Pugsy

Post by Pugsy » Sun Apr 14, 2013 6:49 am

A setting of 5 in classic mode is heat only and doesn't use the machine's humidity sensors so it should deliver a lot of moisture.
Classic mode is the old fashioned way of adding moisture.....heat only. Normally uses a lot of water.
The new System One humidification mode uses sensors in the machine that measure the ambient room humidity and starts from there. Normally it uses much less water depending on where you live.
I have used both modes also on my PR S1. It works that way for me. I don't have a room humidifier.

Why yours didn't seem to do what it is normally supposed to do I don't know.
You might be right...it may not be working properly.

Unless you are doing more mouth breathing than you usually do or some other factor has changed like maybe meds.

Glad it seems to have sorted itself out now. Unfortunately I can't think of a way to test the machine other than monitor water usage. Classic mode I will almost always use every bit of water during a night and that goes along with what I would expect.
Same setting in the new mode uses about half.
That's not a very accurate way to measure things but all I know to do. I know the other night it rained during the night and I had the windows open so my room ambient humidity was pretty much maxed out and I barely used any water at all.

Hawthorne

Post by Hawthorne » Sun Apr 14, 2013 7:13 am

I use Biotene mouthwash. I am not a mouth breather but have Sjogren's Syndrome. It is a dry mouth condition that often goes with RA, which I also have.

I swish it during the day sometimes and always just before I mask up at night. If I am up for a bathroom break during the night, I swish again. Works well for me.

Additional Comments:  Backups- FX Nano masks. Backup machine- Airmini auto travel cpap

oldmatelot

Post by oldmatelot » Sun Apr 21, 2013 5:56 am

Problem solved -- I think..

Had started using a puffer - salbutamol - around the same time as this started - although I only use it sparingly this could be the culprit.

used the biotene last night - as I live rurally I could not get it at local stores - and things were much better - not perfect but better

Hope this may help someone else

Thanks for your help