Newbie questions re: ResMed S9 Elite purchase & ResScan

General Discussion on any topic relating to CPAP and/or Sleep Apnea.
Kate M

Newbie questions re: ResMed S9 Elite purchase & ResScan

Post by Kate M » Sat Apr 20, 2013 2:22 pm

Hi Folks,

I am so glad I found this forum! I was recently ( 3 days ago!) diagnosed and I am hoping to get my machine next week. The Dr has Rx'd a ResMed S9 Elite for me (I don't know the settings yet as I haven't seen the Rx yet) and a standard Mirage FX nasal mask. I want to be sure I am educated adequately when I get my new machine. First, I have learned to check the "run hours" to be sure I am getting a new machine if they are charging me for a new machine! Any other tips?

I am an RN and, as such, a control freak about my own care, I will want to take an active role in managing my therapy as I learn more. Can someone explain to me the ResScan software? Is this something available to all users? Must it be purchased separately? Do you simply download the data from the machine's SD card to your computer and the ResScan software displays and helps interpret it?

Thanks for any information you can provide to get me up to speed! Also, if you have any other tips as I purchase my CPAP machine I am open to all assistance and suggestions! Thanks. I look forward to reading more and learning more from this forum!

On Waking by John O'Donohue
I give thanks for arriving/ Safely in a new dawn/ for the gift of eyes/ To see the world/ The gift of mind/ To feel at home/ In my life...

avi123

Re: Newbie questions re: ResMed S9 Elite purchase & ResScan

Post by avi123 » Sat Apr 20, 2013 3:41 pm

I would try to convince the Doc to change the Rx to S9 Autoset because this machine can run in two modes one of which is like the S9 Elite. Even if you need to pay more. As to the ResScan you could download it from posters on this board. But I suggest to start with the Sleepy Head which is also available from posters on this board.

see my recent set-up and Statistics:
http://i.imgur.com/TewT8G9.png
see my recent ResScan treatment results:
http://i.imgur.com/3oia0EY.png
http://i.imgur.com/QEjvlVY.png

STL Mark

Post by STL Mark » Sat Apr 20, 2013 4:00 pm

The DMEs are out to get you! Or at least that should be in your mind as you visit one. Make sure they don't try to give you an S9 Escape or and S9 Escape Auto. Some will tell lies about how these are more recent versions of the machine than the Elite and the Autoset. If you have options, use a smaller DME firm with an in house RT and not one of the national DME firms.

Don't take any machine without it clearly marked around the power button (assuming ResMed S9) what model it is. Some will put their labels covering the manufacturers model name so you don't see it is an undesirable version. If you are at all uncomfortable with the process of getting your machine once there, fake an emergency (school called and kids sick) and tell them you will have to come back to get it and you will call them.

Then get on this forum and get advise on how to proceed.

Last edited by STL Mark on Sat Apr 20, 2013 4:04 pm, edited 2 times in total.

Mode: ASVAuto, Min EPAP: 4, Max EPAP: 15, Min PS: 3, Max PS: 15, Ramp: Off - Original Titration: 18

Pugsy

Post by Pugsy » Sat Apr 20, 2013 4:01 pm

SleepyHead links are in my signature line. Also the User Guide will show you some examples. It's free and written by one of our forum members. There is a Mac Version if you use a Mac. It is Beta software with a few bugs every now and then but none are deal breakers and the speed and some of the cool features makes it a lot of fun to use.

Here's a video that explains how to use ResScan. Windows only software so if you only have a Mac you will need virtual Windows on the Mac.

http://montfordhouse.com/cpap/resscan_tutorial/ the video is for an older version than what is available now but the basics are the same. Most of the changes with versions are more on the DME and records side of things and not the actual reports.

Post a request for more information on ResScan if you want to try it and someone will point you to it.
No need to purchase.

If you want to try the Eclipse mask and want a special promo code to get a little off the price...send me a private message.

Kate M

Post by Kate M » Sat Apr 20, 2013 4:58 pm

avi123 wrote:I would try to convince the Doc to change the Rx to S9 Autoset because this machine can run in two modes one of which is like the S9 Elite. Even if you need to pay more. As to the ResScan you could download it from posters on this board. But I suggest to start with the Sleepy Head which is also available from posters on this board.
Thanks very much for these suggestions! Ah-ha! I was wondering what people were talking about when they mentioned "SleepyHead." Thanks for clearing up my confusion! I just did a little reading on the Autoset and I will take both your suggestions. Especially if I will be buying the CPAP outright. I would hate to have to buy another (if I were to need or want the APAP) a few months down the line. Having the flexibility of the Autoset is a good thing if they are otherwise the same.

I give thanks for arriving/ Safely in a new dawn/ for the gift of eyes/ To see the world/ The gift of mind/ To feel at home/ In my life...

Kate M

Post by Kate M » Sat Apr 20, 2013 5:03 pm

STL Mark wrote:The DMEs are out to get you! Or at least that should be in your mind as you visit one.
Thank you, STL Mark for the advice. I never had that attitude as a nurse because I tend to only work with the DME company that we contract with, and then, only for simple items that are generally included in our contract for a per diem rate for all our patients. Being on this end of things is opening my eyes though! I appreciate the great info about the label -- I would never have known to check that!

Kate M

Post by Kate M » Sat Apr 20, 2013 5:04 pm

Pugsy wrote:SleepyHead links are in my signature line. Also the User Guide will show you some examples. It's free and written by one of our forum members. (snip)
Post a request for more information on ResScan if you want to try it and someone will point you to it.
No need to purchase.

Excellent! Thank you so much for the links!

caffeinatedcfo

Post by caffeinatedcfo » Sat Apr 20, 2013 5:09 pm

Welcome to the Community!

I recently began CPAP treatment using the S9 Autoset and monitor my data with SleepyHead. Having the autoset mode has been very helpful in adapting to treatment, especially the EPR feature on the S9 Autoset, which basically makes it easier to exhale.

You will need a SD Card Reader to import the data to your computer/SleepyHead. Once you have some data in SleepyHead you can share it in these forums for lots of advice. Here's a thread that discusses these steps: viewtopic.php?f=1&t=87955&p=804800&hili ... um#p804800

Pugsy

Post by Pugsy » Sat Apr 20, 2013 5:38 pm

You only need a SD card reader/adapter to use the software if your computer doesn't have a SD slot.
If you don't have one...cheap generic is fine. Doesn't have to be fancy.

If you want to try the Eclipse mask and want a special promo code to get a little off the price...send me a private message.

caffeinatedcfo

Post by caffeinatedcfo » Sat Apr 20, 2013 5:46 pm

yep - $10 at Wal-Mart if you have an older pc like me