Fighting Anxiety

General Discussion on any topic relating to CPAP and/or Sleep Apnea.
Kate M

Re: Fighting Anxiety

Post by Kate M » Mon May 13, 2013 5:45 am

kteague wrote:(cut) My fear of sleeping without treatment made me feel more receptive to the mask and eventually interpret putting it on as a cue I could relax and sleep and it became my version of a security blanket. Have you tried using a pleasantly scented product such as PurSleep or maybe other essential oils of your preference behind the air intake? I found a pleasant aroma to be a welcome diversion from the smells that kept me tuned in to the equipment. Hope you're sound asleep by now and report tomorrow that your anxiety tonight was minimal to non existent.
I am hoping that my experience follow yours! I hadn't thought of aromatherapy-- that may be worth a try! Thanks for the suggestion.

Last night was the same. I tried the suggested Zen approach of "watching my thoughts" and basically, they were saying, "YOU ARE BREATHING THROUGH A TINY TUBE! YOU ARE NOT GETTING ENOUGH AIR!" The poem I picked out was a flop, so I ended up singing myself to relaxation (silently of course) with the Grateful Dead's "Ripple" - Must have been the thought of "Zen" that got me thinking of the lyrics to that song -- "RIpple in clear water when there is no pebble tossed or wind to blow" Anyway-- it worked and I had a pretty good night's sleep!

Thanks for the ideas and good wishes

Blessings,

Kate

Grateful Dead - RIpple
http://youtu.be/lVdTQ3OPtGY

Last edited by Kate M on Mon May 13, 2013 4:52 pm, edited 1 time in total.
On Waking by John O'Donohue
I give thanks for arriving/ Safely in a new dawn/ for the gift of eyes/ To see the world/ The gift of mind/ To feel at home/ In my life...

MagsterMile

Post by MagsterMile » Mon May 13, 2013 7:52 am

I don't believe my anxiety about cpap was ever as great as yours in the beginning. To be sure, it was there. Over time I've stopped dreading going to bed. I believe that developing a nighttime routine around cpap has helped me overcome my anxiety. I perform the same routine every night and do not deviate in any way. I find great comfort in knowing that this is what I do every night and it seems to relax me. I really think that it takes time to get over feelings of anxiety and when you find your routine or rituals, you will find great comfort in them.

Kate M

Post by Kate M » Mon May 13, 2013 4:44 pm

MagsterMile wrote:(cut)I find great comfort in knowing that this is what I do every night and it seems to relax me. I really think that it takes time to get over feelings of anxiety and when you find your routine or rituals, you will find great comfort in them.
Thanks for sharing this, Magster -- I hope this is true for me also!
kteague wrote:Have you tried using a pleasantly scented product such as PurSleep or maybe other essential oils of your preference behind the air intake? I found a pleasant aroma to be a welcome diversion from the smells that kept me tuned in to the equipment.
I Just ordered an aromatherapy kit! I bet this will help tremendously! Thanks for the idea!

I give thanks for arriving/ Safely in a new dawn/ for the gift of eyes/ To see the world/ The gift of mind/ To feel at home/ In my life...

Sir NoddinOff

Post by Sir NoddinOff » Mon May 13, 2013 10:05 pm

Early on, I used to get bouts mask anxiety, but the human brain can be very adaptive. IMO, at a point in the near future, I think your brain will say: "Hey, this therapy is really working, maybe I should stop pulling the 'mask anxiety alarm'. If in a few weeks I'm wrong, you can bawl me out in public. Also, upping your pressure a bit is not such a bad idea. Thought for the day: This too shall pass.

I like my ResMed AirFit F10 FFM - reasonably low leaks for my ASV therapy. I'm currently using a PR S1 AutoSV 960P Advanced. I also keep a ResMed S9 Adapt as backup. I use a heated Hibernite hose. Still rockin' with Win 7 by using GWX to stop Win 10.

Kate M

Post by Kate M » Tue May 14, 2013 5:14 am

Sir NoddinOff wrote:Early on, I used to get bouts mask anxiety, but the human brain can be very adaptive. IMO, at a point in the near future, I think your brain will say: "Hey, this therapy is really working, maybe I should stop pulling the 'mask anxiety alarm'. If in a few weeks I'm wrong, you can bawl me out in public. Also, upping your pressure a bit is not such a bad idea. Thought for the day: This too shall pass.
Thanks, Sir -- You have suggested my preferred solution-- that it goes away on its own! Last night was a little better I think so I DO hope you're right. (If not, a public flogging will be arranged at your convenience

This thread has offered a number of ideas about overcoming the mask anxiety many of which I'll try!
  • time and adjustment will make it go away on its own
    belief that the therapy is working or fear of NOT using the therapy will overcome the anxiety
    bedtime routine or rituals
    aromatherapy
    increasing (or decreasing) the ramp as indicated
    changing the pressure if appropriate
    desensitization routines
    pretending the mask is something fun
    observing your thoughts and trying to deal with any other causes of the anxiety
    anti-anxiety medication
    music or poetry
    relaxation exercises
Thanks for all the thoughts and ideas!

Blessings,

Kate

Not Fade

Post by Not Fade » Tue May 14, 2013 5:36 am

Fighting Anxiety
Instead of fighting,
Stay Calm

MagsterMile

Post by MagsterMile » Tue May 14, 2013 6:32 am

I think 'self-talk' about cpap is good. In the beginning I felt like my life practically revolved around cpap 24/7. In some ways you try so hard to make this cpap work that other things going on around you might begin to fall away. Now that I'm past my 9th month on it, I'm feeling much more able to deal with what is going on around me. I think what triggered this for me was finally getting a mask that I was comfortable with. Even though I'm not getting the 7-8 hrs of recommended sleep per night, I think cpap therapy itself is under control and I'm feeling very good about it. Now to work on my hyperinsomnia. Lots of success on your therapy and just keep hanging in there.

Dreamingofsleep

Post by Dreamingofsleep » Tue May 14, 2013 6:24 pm

Hi Kate,
Hun you are not alone. I had problems and still do sometimes with anxiety. What I have discovered is if the pressure is too low, it feels like you are going to suffocate. Mine has been set to 7.5 and builds from there (preset). I look forward to when it increases because sometimes it still feels like I am not getting enough air.

Early on someone reassured me that I would not suffocate, and this helps while waiting it out.

Hope this helps

Dreaming

tqpannie

Post by tqpannie » Tue May 14, 2013 7:41 pm

See I have the opposite problem. I'm totally laid back when I put the mask on put I have major anxiety when I take the mask off in the morning. Part of it is going off o2 and getting back to room air.

I've found that if I sit with the mask on- doing my breathing techniques from Pulmonary rehab I can get through the worse of it.

mgaggie

Post by mgaggie » Wed May 15, 2013 12:34 am

tqpannie wrote:See I have the opposite problem. I'm totally laid back when I put the mask on put I have major anxiety when I take the mask off in the morning. Part of it is going off o2 and getting back to room air.

I've found that if I sit with the mask on- doing my breathing techniques from Pulmonary rehab I can get through the worse of it.
Isn't a cpap machine just using room air? I thought that oxygen is a totally separate machine?

Kate M

Post by Kate M » Wed May 15, 2013 5:38 am

tqpannie wrote:See I have the opposite problem. I'm totally laid back when I put the mask on put I have major anxiety when I take the mask off in the morning. Part of it is going off o2 and getting back to room air.

Oh wow.. Yes, I can see where this could create anxiety. So, do you stop the 02 bleeding in and leave the mask in place with the room air for awhile? Does your 02 sat actually drop when you stop the 02 or is just fear that it will happen? If it is the latter, maybe getting a pulse ox to show yourself that your Sa02 is fine on room air when you switch will help settle things down for you?

Blessings,

Kate
mgaggie wrote: Isn't a cpap machine just using room air? I thought that oxygen is a totally separate machine?
Yes, CPAP uses room air, but some folks need to have a little oxygen aided into the mix -- yes, it is another machine that blows the oxygen and a tube from it is hooked into the CPAP system (sometimes right near the mask) to raise the Fi02 of the air that is breathed through the mask.

DoriC

Post by DoriC » Wed May 15, 2013 10:06 am

Yes, we were told to turn off the 02 first and let the cpap run for a few minutes before turning it off. Mike doesn't feel the transition at all.

"Do or Do Not-There Is No Try"-"Yoda"
"We are what we repeatedly do,so excellence
is not an act but a habit"-"Aristotle"
DEAR HUBBY BEGAN CPAP 9/2/08

Uncle_Bob

Post by Uncle_Bob » Wed May 15, 2013 1:02 pm

Last edited by Uncle_Bob on Mon May 20, 2013 2:19 pm, edited 1 time in total.

tqpannie

Post by tqpannie » Wed May 15, 2013 5:08 pm

Kate M wrote:.

Oh wow.. Yes, I can see where this could create anxiety. So, do you stop the 02 bleeding in and leave the mask in place with the room air for awhile? Does your 02 sat actually drop when you stop the 02 or is just fear that it will happen? If it is the latter, maybe getting a pulse ox to show yourself that your Sa02 is fine on room air when you switch will help settle things down for you?

Blessings,

Kate
I actually leave the o2 bleed on until I am ready to stand up then I turn it off and leave the air blowing from the bipap for a few minutes. I have COPD and I think knowing I'm going to be without the o2 bleed freaks me out.

Kate M

Post by Kate M » Wed May 15, 2013 6:20 pm

tqpannie wrote: I actually leave the o2 bleed on until I am ready to stand up then I turn it off and leave the air blowing from the bipap for a few minutes. I have COPD and I think knowing I'm going to be without the o2 bleed freaks me out.
Do you ever wear 02 during the day? Maybe you could just switch from the mask to the nasal cannula, get up and start your day and then take it off when you feel ready.