epic fail

General Discussion on any topic relating to CPAP and/or Sleep Apnea.
pandatx

epic fail

Post by pandatx » Thu May 16, 2013 5:11 am

So, my new Sleepweaver Elan arrived yesterday. It got here late. When I was ready to start making dinner so I didn't have much time to check it out. Put it on last night and could not get it to fit right. Leaking like crazy. Couldn't get situated. Ultimately wasn't able to use it. Now, do I try again? Do I just return it right away and try the Advanced?

I was so excited. I felt sure this was going to the be "the one". Epic, epic fail.

49er

Re: epic fail

Post by 49er » Thu May 16, 2013 6:10 am

pandatx wrote:So, my new Sleepweaver Elan arrived yesterday. It got here late. When I was ready to start making dinner so I didn't have much time to check it out. Put it on last night and could not get it to fit right. Leaking like crazy. Couldn't get situated. Ultimately wasn't able to use it. Now, do I try again? Do I just return it right away and try the Advanced?

I was so excited. I felt sure this was going to the be "the one". Epic, epic fail.
Hi Pandatx,

Oh believe me, I understand how you feel when you are sure whatever strategy you try be it a mask or something else is going to be the key to success. Since you didn't have much time to check it out last night, I would take a few more days to see if you can make it work. If I remember correctly, there is a video you can watch that shows you how to minimize leaks. I would try to find it for you but unfortunately, I am dragging big time right now.

49er

pandatx

Post by pandatx » Thu May 16, 2013 6:26 am

Hey 49er,

You're sweet. I'm sure I can do a search and find it. I'll mess with it today and see if I can't get it to work for me.

xo
A

khauser

Post by khauser » Thu May 16, 2013 6:30 am

Hi Amy,
The Elan is a finicky mask that I find a little difficult to adjust, but it CAN be done. If you have not watched the video I suggest you do so. At least then you will understand the process behind fitting this mask.

For me it'll never be as good as the Tap Pap, or any other nasal pillow mask, but in terms of nasal masks its pretty nice!

pandatx

Post by pandatx » Thu May 16, 2013 6:54 am

Hey khauser! So are you saying its the least favorite of the nasal masks for you? I tried the Mirage (I think that's what it was) and the noise drove me nuts plus it wouldn't stay put when I was on my side.

pandatx

Post by pandatx » Thu May 16, 2013 6:55 am

also, would the tap pap even be an option for me? I wear upper and lower retainers every night on my teeth (from having braces).

quietmorning

Post by quietmorning » Thu May 16, 2013 7:06 am

Ack, Pandax. . .I have absolutely nothing to offer as far as help is concerned, but I hope like anything that you find the right mask and can get this worked out soon, for your sake.

Just wanting you to know that I'm rooting for you.

YogaKitty

Post by YogaKitty » Thu May 16, 2013 7:40 am

Are you using the small cushion? I think you need the small. Watch the video, warm the cushion in your hands before putting the mask assemblage on, be sure to keep it all clean, hmmm let me think if I have any other tips. Adjust it after you are laying on your side. And it's just DIFFERENT. There will be some leakage on the top, that's just the way it is. But if you are patient you should be able to get it to adjust..

I haven't tried the Advance, but I know it has its fans

Hugs

pandatx

Post by pandatx » Thu May 16, 2013 7:49 am

It came with a Regular and Large in the package and then an extra Small as well. I was trying with the Regular. When I put the small on it felt tiny. especially with my low pressure setting.

khauser

Post by khauser » Thu May 16, 2013 11:03 am

pandatx wrote:Hey khauser! So are you saying its the least favorite of the nasal masks for you? I tried the Mirage (I think that's what it was) and the noise drove me nuts plus it wouldn't stay put when I was on my side.
Hi Amy,
Call me Kevin...

No, I wasn't saying that. It's a category thing: I find nasal PILLOW masks superior to Nasal Mask (not pillows) as a whole. There's a lot of reasons, but the biggest reason is I tend to have difficulty breathing if I don't use pillows ... it is as if the nostrils collapse.

You wear retainers at night, right? You'll have to confirm this with your orthodontist, but I would think that a properly fitted TapPap would do a good job of keeping your teeth in their proper place ... maybe better than the retainer. But since I am not at all educated on orthodontia, this is pure guess-work on my part.

chunkyfrog
Location: Nebraska--I am sworn to keep the secret of this paradise.

Post by chunkyfrog » Thu May 16, 2013 1:34 pm

Panda; did you use the tether? it makes the mask much more stable.
I also found that it needs to be much looser than a silicone mask, only a bit snug right under the nose.
I reduced my EPR from 3 to 2, and that helped also.
The original tether was way too loose, and I cobbled up a tether that does not involve the hose at all.
I tied a cabone ring to the washer (with dental floss), and ran a chain of silicone bands up to the top strap of the headgear.
EDIT: cabone rings: (sewing/drapery notion)
http://gobstock.com/boye-cabone-ring-1- ... -pack.html

pandatx

Post by pandatx » Thu May 16, 2013 1:50 pm

I didn't use the tether b/c I honestly couldn't figure out what to do with it. I will study your pic and also have my husband take a look at it (he is a much more perceptual thinker than I am)...Thanks so much for the suggestion!