"Minimal contact" mask recommendations

General Discussion on any topic relating to CPAP and/or Sleep Apnea.
Andrew08

"Minimal contact" mask recommendations

Post by Andrew08 » Wed Jun 05, 2013 7:25 am

Hello,

After struggling with finding a mask for quite a while, I am currently using the Comfortlite 2. While I still cannot make it through the night YET, I am improving and think that the minimal contact type of mask is what will work for me.

I am covered quite well through work and am able to buy at least 1-2 masks at present. Wondering if I can hear any recommendations from people using the minimal contact type of mask like the CL2?

Thanks.
A
Machine: SleepEasy w/Built-In Heated Humidifier
Mask: N/A at the moment
Humidifier: PR System One
Software: N/A
Pressure: 7

ughwhatname

Re: "Minimal contact" mask recommendations

Post by ughwhatname » Wed Jun 05, 2013 7:45 am

Andrew08 wrote:Hello,

After struggling with finding a mask for quite a while, I am currently using the Comfortlite 2. While I still cannot make it through the night YET, I am improving and think that the minimal contact type of mask is what will work for me.

I am covered quite well through work and am able to buy at least 1-2 masks at present. Wondering if I can hear any recommendations from people using the minimal contact type of mask like the CL2?

Thanks.
A
Hi Andrew,

I don't know anything about the CL2, so I can't comment there, but if you are truly looking for "minimal contact" then the Tap Pap nasal pillows mask would be my answer. It attaches via a mouthpiece and doesn't touch anywhere other than the nares. I love having my face free!

hyperlexis

Post by hyperlexis » Wed Jun 05, 2013 7:47 am

Andrew08 wrote:Hello,

Thanks.
A
What is the reason you cant sleep through the night on CPAP?

There are far far better, less bulky contraptions than the Comfortlite2 to try. Look at the Pilario, the Swift FX, the new Swift FX Nano (Not yet in US), or possibly the PR Wisp. Most pillow style masks are pretty unobtrusive.

Pugsy

Post by Pugsy » Wed Jun 05, 2013 8:31 am

I had an occasion to briefly put on a Comfortlite2...it's a bit "weird" but I can see how it works for some people.
If you like the overall way it works then the Breeze might suit you.
https://www.cpap.com/productpage/purita ... rface.html
I have never had a chance to put one of these on.
The Aeomed Headrest is another very similar but it has been discontinued and once it is gone there won't be any more though the headgear is going to have a very long life and nasal pillows will probably be available for a while. I have actually tried it for a week.
It's pretty darn comfortable and I can see why so many people really liked it and are sad to see it go.
http://www.bestcpapprice.com/Aeiomed-He ... _p_94.html

For really minimalistic mask...the nasal pillow mask that are of the newer generation.
The Tap Pap nasal pillow mask is what I use now...just came out in March and I love it. Check out the link to it in my signature line.

The other good sellers are the ResMed Swift FX...my main mask for over 2 years until the Tap Pap came out.
https://www.cpap.com/productpage/resmed ... dgear.html
The Aloha from Respcare
https://www.cpap.com/productpage/devilb ... -mask.html
The ResMed Swift LT which is very similar to the Aloha....I have used both and the Aloha to me feels like an improved LT...what I would have done to the LT to make it better for me.
The OPus 360 from F & P
https://www.cpap.com/productpage/fisher ... -Mask.html
The Pilairo from F & P. Actually pretty nice mask but the main draw back has been the one size fits all head strap...it doesn't fit all and tends to run on the small side. It can be easily modified if it works in other ways.
https://www.cpap.com/productpage/pilair ... k-f-p.html

These new generation nasal pillow masks simply have less stuff on the face and I am all about having less "stuff" on my face.
I have used all of the above at some time either for a short trial or long term. Any of them I could use successfully...since my ultimate preference is less "stuff" on my head or face...I go with the lightest and easiest to wear.
Tap Pap requires a mouth guard on the upper teeth so not for someone missing a bunch of upper front teeth.

The Pilairo is very minimal but when I say the head strap runs small...it runs small. I am female not very big and sure don't have a large head and it was real snug on me and I had to move the strap placement a bit to make it work. Otherwise my nose felt like it had ran into someone's fist.

Your choice may also be limited by what your DME supplier carries. They very likely don't carry all brands but they can order a different brand if they would just do it.
Take a look at the various styles and see which mask suits your.
The Wisp is an over the nose mask that is relatively small compared to the traditional over the nose masks.
https://www.cpap.com/productpage/wisp-n ... ck-pr.html
Lots of people here seem to like it. It's relatively new.
I have never tried it and probably won't because I don't like anything touching the nose in that manner but that's just me.

There are also some cloth over the nose masks. I have no experience with any of those models but lots of forum members here do so if one of them interests you then just ask and someone will comment.
https://www.cpap.com/cpap-masks/nasal-c ... :165::::20:
I once put on the original SleepWeaver mask (now discontinued)...way too big for my face. The smaller Advanced might work though..just never had a chance to try it.

Take a look at what is out there and see if something looks interesting to you. What I might say about it or someone else doesn't really matter....these masks are like shoes...they fit some people great and are awful for others.
Mask fit and preferences are highly individual.
I mention the one size fits all Pilairo head strap because that was a common issue for even those that really liked the mask otherwise. It can be modified if need be though if all other aspects of it make its use worthwhile.

So often there are likely several models you could use...but some models you might prefer over other models for various reasons.
I can use all of the above and some quite easily but since one of my main preferences is less on my head and face...that means that the absence of the headgear for the Tap Pap put it to the top of the list.

If you want to try the Eclipse mask and want a special promo code to get a little off the price...send me a private message.

DeadlySleep

Post by DeadlySleep » Wed Jun 05, 2013 8:59 am

Pugsy wrote:I had an occasion to briefly put on a Comfortlite2...it's a bit "weird" but I can see how it works for some people.
If you like the overall way it works then the Breeze might suit you.
https://www.cpap.com/productpage/purita ... rface.html
I have never had a chance to put one of these on.
The Aeomed Headrest is another very similar but it has been discontinued and once it is gone there won't be any more though the headgear is going to have a very long life and nasal pillows will probably be available for a while. I have actually tried it for a week.
It's pretty darn comfortable and I can see why so many people really liked it and are sad to see it go.
http://www.bestcpapprice.com/Aeiomed-He ... _p_94.html

For really minimalistic mask...the nasal pillow mask that are of the newer generation.
The Tap Pap nasal pillow mask is what I use now...just came out in March and I love it. Check out the link to it in my signature line.

The other good sellers are the ResMed Swift FX...my main mask for over 2 years until the Tap Pap came out.
The Aloha from Respcare
https://www.cpap.com/productpage/devilb ... -mask.html
The ResMed Swift LT which is very similar to the Aloha....I have used both and the Aloha to me feels like an improved LT...what I would have done to the LT to make it better for me.
The OPus 360 from F & P
https://www.cpap.com/productpage/fisher ... -Mask.html
The Pilairo from F & P. Actually pretty nice mask but the main draw back has been the one size fits all head strap...it doesn't fit all and tends to run on the small side. It can be easily modified if it works in other ways.
https://www.cpap.com/productpage/pilair ... k-f-p.html

These new generation nasal pillow masks simply have less stuff on the face and I am all about having less "stuff" on my face.
I have used all of the above at some time either for a short trial or long term. Any of them I could use successfully...since my ultimate preference is less "stuff" on my head or face...I go with the lightest and easiest to wear.
Tap Pap requires a mouth guard on the upper teeth so not for someone missing a bunch of upper front teeth.

The Pilairo is very minimal but when I say the head strap runs small...it runs small. I am female not very big and sure don't have a large head and it was real snug on me and I had to move the strap placement a bit to make it work. Otherwise my nose felt like it had ran into someone's fist.

Your choice may also be limited by what your DME supplier carries. They very likely don't carry all brands but they can order a different brand if they would just do it.
Take a look at the various styles and see which mask suits your.
The Wisp is an over the nose mask that is relatively small compared to the traditional over the nose masks.
https://www.cpap.com/productpage/wisp-n ... ck-pr.html
Lots of people here seem to like it. It's relatively new.
I have never tried it and probably won't because I don't like anything touching the nose in that manner but that's just me.

There are also some cloth over the nose masks. I have no experience with any of those models but lots of forum members here do so if one of them interests you then just ask and someone will comment.
https://www.cpap.com/cpap-masks/nasal-c ... :165::::20:
I once put on the original SleepWeaver mask (now discontinued)...way too big for my face. The smaller Advanced might work though..just never had a chance to try it.

Take a look at what is out there and see if something looks interesting to you. What I might say about it or someone else doesn't really matter....these masks are like shoes...they fit some people great and are awful for others.
Mask fit and preferences are highly individual.
I mention the one size fits all Pilairo head strap because that was a common issue for even those that really liked the mask otherwise. It can be modified if need be though if all other aspects of it make its use worthwhile.

So often there are likely several models you could use...but some models you might prefer over other models for various reasons.
I can use all of the above and some quite easily but since one of my main preferences is less on my head and face...that means that the absence of the headgear for the Tap Pap put it to the top of the list.
I don't get here often, but every time I do it seems I am watching one certain lady who is perpetually writing an Encyclopedia of CPAP.

Great job Pugsy! You are an amazing treasure.

chunkyfrog
Location: Nebraska--I am sworn to keep the secret of this paradise.

Post by chunkyfrog » Wed Jun 05, 2013 10:15 am

Wisp and Tap Pap are the two least "masky" I have.
I would love to be able to mount the Wisp cushion onto the Tap Pap instead of the pillows.

Kiralynx

Post by Kiralynx » Wed Jun 05, 2013 9:09 pm

Andrew08 wrote:I am covered quite well through work and am able to buy at least 1-2 masks at present. Wondering if I can hear any recommendations from people using the minimal contact type of mask like the CL2?
The CL2 is a good mask. The only one better was the Aeiomed Headrest which is no longer being made because the factory burned down. And even then, I admit, I modified the Headrest to use it with a CL2 strap.

Every other mask on the market, with the exception of the Tap Pap, is some variation of strap on head with straps across the face.

The Swift FX is tremendously popular, and I can't figure out why because it was the most miserable piece of junk I ever tried. I wanted to like it. I really did. But it's contraindicated for my ASV, and, using it meant I got poor therapy -- something I knew, not from my stats but from the severe hip pain which returned with the FX and disappeared when I went back to the CL2 or the Headrest.

Opus 360 is adequate, but again, straps all over the face.

Beastie, 2008-10-28. NEW Beastie, PRS1 960, 2014-05-14. NEWER Beastie, Dream Station ASV, 2017-10-17. PadaCheek Hosecover. Homemade Brandy Keg Chin Support. TapPap Mask.
Min PS = 4, Max PS = 8
Epap Range = 6 - 7.5

archangle

Post by archangle » Thu Jun 06, 2013 9:55 am

What in particular makes you want a minimal contact mask? Is there any particular physical or mental problem with a mask?

I like my Swift FX. While the headgear does go around the head, it sort of just rests there rather than "grabbing" me the way some other headgear does. I can take my glasses on and off, and it blocks my view much less than other masks. I can scratch my nose when needed, etc.

Please enter your equipment in your profile so we can help you.
Click here for information on the most common alternative to CPAP.
If it's midnight and a DME tells you it's dark outside, go and check for yourself.

Useful Links.

mon

Post by mon » Fri Jun 07, 2013 6:06 am

I don't know about minimal contact but the SleepWeaver 'Elan' is so comfortable and has no real pressure. It's the only mask with no silicone bits which I find unbearable.

pandatx

Post by pandatx » Fri Jun 07, 2013 6:33 am

I have the Sleepweaver Elan and I want to love it but I just can't get the placement right and there are too many leaks/air blowing into my eyes. I know there are others, though, who really do love it.

packer

Post by packer » Fri Jun 07, 2013 12:45 pm

it isn't made new anymore I don't think but the aero med [sp?] twilight nose pillow is
what turned corner on sleeping through for this hosehead- it is basically works like a baseball cap- tube comes down from forehead-

only part touches face is nasal pillows another thing that made the difference was pursleep- aromatherapy- key for me-

now 6 years of cpap-- habit is on my side-- the cpap and smell and sleep within minutes- hard to even nap without it!

packer

NateS

Post by NateS » Fri Jun 07, 2013 8:43 pm

In the course of progressing through several different masks, I've changed my mind about what's "minimal" in a mask.

At first, I thought the Swift FX with headgear was minimal, because the only thing on my face was the nasal pillows in my nostrils; then I thought the Swift FX with Bella Loops was minimal because it eliminated the headgear; thereafter I thought the Aloha was minimal because I could control the entry angle of the pillows into my nostrils; but now I have concluded that my Wisp is minimal because it doesn't insert anything into my nostrils and just covers part of my nose without even touching my nostrils.

So, it is really a very subjective test. Different people have different levels of sensitivity to different parts of their face and head. A touch one place may be annoying whereas a touch in another place may feel inconsequential.

Therefore I would suggest that you be careful not to too quickly limit your choices by any subjective standard, and just start by trying various masks and see how they feel on you, both awake and while asleep under pressure. Also, be sure to be lying down when you try out a mask. They way it feels sitting or standing up is irrelevant.

Good luck!

Regards, Nate

Present Rx: EPAP: 8; IPAPlo:11; IPAPHi: 23; PSMin: 3; PSMax: 15
"I've had a perfectly wonderful evening, but this wasn't it." —Groucho Marx

Stormynights

Post by Stormynights » Fri Jun 07, 2013 9:28 pm

We need a mask Super Center where you can just go in and shop for a mask and try them on. I wouldn't want to try on a Tap Pap but most can be sterilized so someone else can try them on. I would think it would make more sense than the try and return. Maybe newbies could start off with something that might even fit. The sleep center where I had my sleep study cleaned and reused the masks. I got started when we still had the cpap auctions. Those were the good old days.

jdm2857

Post by jdm2857 » Fri Jun 07, 2013 9:39 pm

Stormynights wrote:We need a mask Super Center where you can just go in and shop for a mask and try them on.
Isn't that one of the (rarely-provided) services of a DME?
jeff

Stormynights

Post by Stormynights » Fri Jun 07, 2013 9:49 pm

jdm2857 wrote:
Stormynights wrote:We need a mask Super Center where you can just go in and shop for a mask and try them on.
Isn't that one of the (rarely-provided) services of a DME?
I have never seen it done but but if thing were as they should be this would be normal.