Irritation from Silicone Mask

General Discussion on any topic relating to CPAP and/or Sleep Apnea.
knitfixation

Irritation from Silicone Mask

Post by knitfixation » Fri Jun 21, 2013 10:21 am

Just thought I'd ask if anyone else has developed a beak resembling that of a heavy drinker from the silicon-based masks? I have a swollen upper lip and very red area around the nose and mouth from my "Profilite" [sp] mask. I just changed to a fabric mask which resembles a wind sock and am waiting to see if it makes any difference. One doctor, for an unrelated issue, asked me "What's with the nose and lip? Do you just walk around like that?" I was of course annoyed with her comment but put it down to her ignorance about sleep apnoea...

surf_rower

Re: Irritation from Silicone Mask

Post by surf_rower » Fri Jun 21, 2013 10:28 am

Yes, I am having this exact problem after only one week with the Zest silicone mask. I am otherwise tolerating it, but this is a deal breaker. Might try a nasal pillow type instead.
ResMed AirSense 11 AutoSet
Mask: ResMed N30i with cushion

nanwilson

Post by nanwilson » Fri Jun 21, 2013 3:08 pm

Folks, just get a mask liner from padacheek.com, Karen makes the best stuff to help us through the sleep journey. You can actually make a temporary one out of a well washed white t-shirt. Just lay your mask on the fabric, draw around the mask, adding about 3/4 of an inch all round and cut it out. Make a small hole for your mouth and nose and you have it.
Started cpap in 2010.. still at it with great results.

Wulfman...

Post by Wulfman... » Fri Jun 21, 2013 3:20 pm

knitfixation wrote:Just thought I'd ask if anyone else has developed a beak resembling that of a heavy drinker from the silicon-based masks? I have a swollen upper lip and very red area around the nose and mouth from my "Profilite" [sp] mask. I just changed to a fabric mask which resembles a wind sock and am waiting to see if it makes any difference. One doctor, for an unrelated issue, asked me "What's with the nose and lip? Do you just walk around like that?" I was of course annoyed with her comment but put it down to her ignorance about sleep apnoea...
Did you thoroughly WASH it first before you used it?

Den

Randyp1234

Post by Randyp1234 » Sat Jun 22, 2013 9:05 am

nanwilson wrote:Folks, just get a mask liner from padacheek.com, Karen makes the best stuff to help us through the sleep journey. You can actually make a temporary one out of a well washed white t-shirt. Just lay your mask on the fabric, draw around the mask, adding about 3/4 of an inch all round and cut it out. Make a small hole for your mouth and nose and you have it.
I second this. If padacheek makes a liner for your mask get one (or two). It is so much more comfortable. I can't imagine masking up without one.

Randy