Sub mucus turbinate reduction surgery.

General Discussion on any topic relating to CPAP and/or Sleep Apnea.
KristiSkis

Post by KristiSkis » Tue Jul 02, 2013 9:08 am

Hello,

I have been a breathing sufferer for several years now. I have a hard time breathing at night through my right nostril. Left isn't quite as bad. After many doctor visits, antibiotics, decongestanats, sprays and getting a CT which showed no infection I finally decided it was time to see an ENT. Diagnosis: deviated septum and surgery is required. A sleep study was performed and I guess my pulse ox is low and I was told that is why I am so incredibly tired throughout the day. I was also told I will need to sleep on my back for at least a week after surgery. This I'm thinking I cannot do because of my bad back. But I will try my best.

I am hoping you can share your experience's with me. I'm most concerned with the recovery. I know everyone is different, but how long can I expect to be in pain after the surgery? I've had some pretty massive headaches so I know kind of what to expect in that department.

Side note: I'm expecting a grand baby August 10th and I want to make sure I will be well enough to be there for my daughter in the delivery room as well as be here for my grandson.

So appreciative of any help you can give,
-kristi

STL Mark

Re: Sub mucus turbinate reduction surgery.

Post by STL Mark » Tue Jul 02, 2013 9:33 am

Welcome to the forum. I was unclear from reading your post if you were prescribed a machine after your sleep study. If you have obtained the machine how has that treatment worked for you? Does it eliminate the headaches? Some may find surgery is not necessary for proper sleep if a cpap machine is used. Some times people will get the surgery in hopes that cpap will not be required. Usually it does not eliminate the requirements for the machine.

I have the deviated septum and TMJ diagnosis. The associated doctors would love to provide me with surgery. You need to ask yourself if the surgery is necessary for your comfort.

Mode: ASVAuto, Min EPAP: 4, Max EPAP: 15, Min PS: 3, Max PS: 15, Ramp: Off - Original Titration: 18

roster

Post by roster » Tue Jul 02, 2013 10:03 am

After suffering for years, I had a submucosal resectioning of all six turbinates (badly and chronically swelled) and a correction of a badly deviated septum.

I had a severe sore throat in the recovery room and that was cleared up by a small dose of morphine. (The anesthesiologist claimed it was irritation from blood drip.)

After leaving the surgery center, pain was nearly nonexistent and I never used the painkiller the doc sent home with me.

This was done on a Monday morning outpatient surgery and on Thursday morning the doc took the splints out and I went to lunch and shopping with my wife. On Friday I went back to work and never felt any more side effects from the surgery.

This was one of the best things ever done for my breathing, allergies, colds and health in general. (CPAP was the best.)

It is time for you to have the surgery and stop suffering!

Best of luck,

I have a vision that we will figure out an easy way to ensure that children develop wide, deep, healthy and attractive jaws and then obstructive sleep apnea becomes an obscure bit of history.https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=0ycw4uaX ... re=related

roster

Post by roster » Tue Jul 02, 2013 10:06 am

BTW, Some may tell you horror stories about this surgery. Ask them the date of their surgery. Techniques have improved in the last 15 years and the success rate is very high and recovery is much easier.

I have a vision that we will figure out an easy way to ensure that children develop wide, deep, healthy and attractive jaws and then obstructive sleep apnea becomes an obscure bit of history.https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=0ycw4uaX ... re=related

BlackSpinner

Post by BlackSpinner » Tue Jul 02, 2013 10:37 am

roster wrote:BTW, Some may tell you horror stories about this surgery. Ask them the date of their surgery. Techniques have improved in the last 15 years and the success rate is very high and recovery is much easier.
Just to confirm: This did not remove your need for cpap therapy, did it?

BTW Welcome back.

71. The lame can ride on horseback, the one-handed drive cattle. The deaf, fight and be useful. To be blind is better than to be burnt on the pyre. No one gets good from a corpse. The Havamal

Post by Guest » Tue Jul 02, 2013 10:38 am

Hi again. Thanks for such prompt responses...

No, I was not prescriped a CPAP machine. Doctor did say that my nose was pretty jacked up and he is a well known physician in our community. Takes three months for a new patient visit.

After my initial visit, he sent me in for a sleep study. Never ordered a CPAP after that, just a night pulse ox at home. I haven't heard back from that study which was done a little over a week ago.

I would love for my only problem to be the need for a CPAP. But because of the congestion I have at night, btw isn't so bad during the day, I think surgery if my best option. I'm just a tad scared of the recovery process and it taking a long time. Also sleeping on my back will be very difficult.

Please keep your experiences coming.

Praying for the best outcome,
-kristi

roster

Post by roster » Tue Jul 02, 2013 1:22 pm

BlackSpinner wrote:
roster wrote:BTW, Some may tell you horror stories about this surgery. Ask them the date of their surgery. Techniques have improved in the last 15 years and the success rate is very high and recovery is much easier.
Just to confirm: This did not remove your need for cpap therapy, did it?

BTW Welcome back.
Good point. My CPAP is still very much needed and faithfully used. The nice wide airway that I have in my nose since the surgery makes CPAP easier.

My understanding is that nasal blockages do not cause sleep apnea. Even with a complete blockage you would just reflexively open your mouth for breathing. Blockages causing apnea are due to some combination of collapse of the soft palate or tongue and in some cases enlarged tonsils.

Thanks for the welcome back. This is a long overdue family vacation week for me. Unfortunately it has been raining a good bit and today is a total washout.

roster

Post by roster » Tue Jul 02, 2013 1:26 pm

Guest wrote: I would love for my only problem to be the need for a CPAP.

-kristi
Be careful what you pray for. I would much rather have the sole problem to be enlarged turbinates/deviated septum. You can have an inconvenient surgery and maybe a bit of pain and be cured for life.

With CPAP you are going to be dealing with the treatment every night, every nap for the rest of your life.

I pray the surgery is all you need to lead a healthy life.

Metalsleep

Post by Metalsleep » Tue Jul 02, 2013 1:55 pm

Hello,

I would strongly advise against it, I had this surgery in 05 and this has lead to what's known as the empty nose syndrome.

It has made life is very challenging to say the least.

Sincerely,
Adrien

Post by Guest » Tue Jul 02, 2013 2:53 pm

Metalsleep wrote:Hello,

I would strongly advise against it, I had this surgery in 05 and this has lead to what's known as the empty nose syndrome.

Sincerely,
Adrien
My surgeon has performed over 1000 and I am confident he can do this, but what is it exactly you're experiencing? what caused this?

medications do not help decongest my nasal passages, so really what other option do I have? I would really like my quality of life back..

Thank you for your input,
-kristi

Post by Guest » Tue Jul 02, 2013 2:57 pm

roster wrote:
Guest wrote: I would love for my only problem to be the need for a CPAP.

-kristi
Be careful what you pray for. I would much rather have the sole problem to be enlarged turbinates/deviated septum. You can have an inconvenient surgery and maybe a bit of pain and be cured for life.

With CPAP you are going to be dealing with the treatment every night, every nap for the rest of your life.

I pray the surgery is all you need to lead a healthy life.
Hi and thank you for your insight. I guess I jumped the gun.. I'm just really afraid of surgery. Not a great candidate for pain, I guess. But as I've said before, I would really like to wake up refreshed, without headaches and feel as though I can do stuff throughout the day without feeling like I need a long nap. Waking up and feeling as though you have not slept sucks!

Thanks again

Gparr

Post by Gparr » Tue Jul 02, 2013 4:36 pm

3 years ago I had 4 procedures done: turbinate resection, polyp removal, deviated septum and opening/cleaning out of frontal sinus.

First off let me tell you I am NOT a good candidate for anything that deals with pain. The day and after surgery was fine - minor discomfort but VERY manageable. The next 3 days were pretty bad with pain. Upon returning on day 7 for the checkup I was good to go and sleeping regularly. I am mot a back sleeper...but believe me...you will not want to sleep any other way!

Am VERY thankful I went through the process...everything is great and I can breath!!! This was not done to cure CPAP...I was not diagnosed with OSA unto 6 weeks ago.

Godd luck and do keep us informed of your procedures...

If it doesn't fit, force it...if it breaks, it was meant too!

roster

Post by roster » Tue Jul 02, 2013 5:15 pm

Metalsleep wrote:Hello,

Sincerely,
Adrien
I am so sorry for you. By 2005 the medical profession was well aware of Empty Nose Syndrome and knew how to easily avoid it. ENS is caused by removing all or too much of the turbinates.

There are some doctors who are using non-surgical and surgical treatments for ENS. If you have not already done so, I would urge you to seek one out.

Have you considered a consultation with a law firm specializing in medical malpractice? Your surgeon should have known how to easily avoid ENS.

roster

Post by roster » Tue Jul 02, 2013 5:21 pm

Guest wrote: But as I've said before, I would really like to wake up refreshed, without headaches and feel as though I can do stuff throughout the day without feeling like I need a long nap. Waking up and feeling as though you have not slept sucks!

Thanks again
There is a chance that you have both enlarged turbinates/deviated septum and sleep apnea (I did).

It will be interesting to see what your overnight pulse/ox study shows. The study will not be a conclusive positive or negative diagnosis of sleep apnea but it could lead your doctor to order a polysomnogram.

Metalsleep

Post by Metalsleep » Wed Jul 03, 2013 6:14 am

Good.

what I'm experiencing is hard to describe, major symptoms are :

Nasal dryness, paradoxical obstruction, suffocation, throat irritation, thick, sticky mucus, sleep apnea, extreme fatigue, lack of concentration, headaches, anxiety ...

You might have more options that you think : nutrition, exercise, sleep, stress, sunlight exposure, food intolerance / allergy ...
Guest wrote:I would really like my quality of life back..
That's something we have in common then.

Sincerely,
Adrien