How to clean System One humidifier tank?

General Discussion on any topic relating to CPAP and/or Sleep Apnea.
sewsleepy

How to clean System One humidifier tank?

Post by sewsleepy » Mon Jul 08, 2013 11:04 pm

I use distilled water in my tank and usually just shake it out in the morning and let it air dry but I'm getting some slippery spots in the corners which means to me that it needs to be scrubbed out. The issue is, I cannot find a way to scrub out those nooks and crannies. My pinkie finger can't even fit. Toothbrush bristles are not long enough and besides, it would need to have bristles on the end instead of the side. It appears to me the System One designers did not seriously expect anyone to ever have to wash this thing. It would have been a lot easier if all those fins were on the outside instead of the inside.

I tried soaking it in water with a little vinegar but even after thoroughly rinsing it I can smell the vinegar and I don't like that. Soapy water did not remove the slippery spots.

Anyone have an idea that works?

Janknitz

Re: How to clean System One humidifier tank?

Post by Janknitz » Tue Jul 09, 2013 1:53 am

Please don't take offense but I want to be sure you know that the lid comes off???

I only ask because we've had the occasional person here who does not realize that. To get the lid off, stick your finger in the center hole and press against the plastic to release the lid.

With the lid off, it's pretty easy to get in the nooks and crannies. You might consider purchasing a baby bottle brush-they are pretty soft and can get just about anywhere. Ow wad up a lint free cloth to get it in the corners.
What you need to know before you meet your DME http://tinyurl.com/2arffqx
Taming the Mirage Quattro http://tinyurl.com/2ft3lh8
Swift FX Fitting Guide http://tinyurl.com/22ur9ts
Don't Pay that Upcharge! http://tinyurl.com/2ck48rm

sol

Post by sol » Tue Jul 09, 2013 2:01 am

sewsleepy wrote:
Anyone have an idea that works?
http://respironicsremstars.respironics.com/video10.aspx

khauser

Post by khauser » Tue Jul 09, 2013 10:42 am

I use Q-tips to get in the tight areas. It is a pain ... but if I don't do it at least once a month, something pink begins to form, and although pink is a good color for lungs, I prefer mine come by it more on their own...

Sir NoddinOff

Post by Sir NoddinOff » Tue Jul 09, 2013 11:19 am

khauser wrote:I use Q-tips to get in the tight areas. It is a pain ... but if I don't do it at least once a month, something pink begins to form, and although pink is a good color for lungs, I prefer mine come by it more on their own...
I think PR doesn't hold a candle to ResMed for tank design. With the new ResMed tanks that come apart using plastic clasps, cleaning is now a snap... no toothbrushes, no disinfectants, no Q-tips ... quite easy really.

I like my ResMed AirFit F10 FFM - reasonably low leaks for my ASV therapy. I'm currently using a PR S1 AutoSV 960P Advanced. I also keep a ResMed S9 Adapt as backup. I use a heated Hibernite hose. Still rockin' with Win 7 by using GWX to stop Win 10.

pblakneyjr

Post by pblakneyjr » Tue Jul 09, 2013 11:51 am

I remove the lid and run it through a dishwashing cycle, top shelf. No problems noted.

Wulfman...

Post by Wulfman... » Tue Jul 09, 2013 12:06 pm

pblakneyjr wrote:I remove the lid and run it through a dishwashing cycle, top shelf. No problems noted.
Eeeeewwwwww...

Not ME!!!

Do a Google search on "deadly bacteria in dishwashers".

Den

sewsleepy

Post by sewsleepy » Tue Jul 09, 2013 5:05 pm

Thanks for the ideas.

Ha ha, yes I know the lid comes off. There is no way to get into those little sections between the fin and the corner, the bottlebrush does not get in there. I will try the QTip! What a hassle!
PR System One 60 Series Auto CPAP with Heated Tube Humidifier, Airfit P10 mask

archangle

Post by archangle » Tue Jul 09, 2013 6:12 pm

Put it in the dishwasher to get anything you can't clean manually. It will be much cleaner than anything you'll manage on your own.

The "deadly bacteria in the dishwasher" is nonsense. Deadly bacteria in the dishwasher is going to kill you a lot quicker on your plates and silverware than it will in your humidifier tank.

Buy a replacement water tank. It's good to have one anyway. Clean the old one manually and in the dishwasher, then sit it aside and let it dry out for a week or two. Then wash and swap tanks once a week or so. This lets the clean one dry out really thoroughly to keep bacteria growth down.

In theory, bacteria in the water tank can't get into the hose since it's only water vapor, not droplets that get through, but I still want a clean tank.

I have soaked a PRS1 water tank in a pot of boiling water with no harm. I boil the water and turn off the heat immediately before putting the tank into the water to soak until the water cools down. You might want to buy a spare tank first in case you damage yours.

Please enter your equipment in your profile so we can help you.
Click here for information on the most common alternative to CPAP.
If it's midnight and a DME tells you it's dark outside, go and check for yourself.

Useful Links.

Janknitz

Post by Janknitz » Tue Jul 09, 2013 6:16 pm

I'm more concerned about breathing in aerosolized soap residue on the tank if I wash it in the dishwasher than I am about bacteria lurking in the dishwasher.
What you need to know before you meet your DME http://tinyurl.com/2arffqx
Taming the Mirage Quattro http://tinyurl.com/2ft3lh8
Swift FX Fitting Guide http://tinyurl.com/22ur9ts
Don't Pay that Upcharge! http://tinyurl.com/2ck48rm

acidragon

Post by acidragon » Tue Jul 09, 2013 9:31 pm

I didn't see anyone comment on the rubber seal, so I will... We've been having a few weeks of high humidity and heat the past few weeks here and I noticed mold on the rubber seal! Even when I empty out my tank there's always some water trapped in the bend of the seal when you pour out the extra water in the morning. So I've been using a napkin to dry out the seal in the morning. Also when I do my monthly vinegar soak I remove the entire rubber seal ( you have to be very careful not to break the thin plastic square when you unbuckle it from the tank, the rubber and the square ring are one piece ) and clean the dark rubber part that seals to the tank with a soft toothbrush. I've always noticed that part of the seal is always wet even when the tank is dry but I dont think its practical to remove the seal everyday... When reinstalling theres one corner that's different from the other three. Might be a good idea to have a spare tank too just in case.

archangle

Post by archangle » Fri Jul 12, 2013 8:58 pm

acidragon wrote:I didn't see anyone comment on the rubber seal, so I will... We've been having a few weeks of high humidity and heat the past few weeks here and I noticed mold on the rubber seal!
Makes me feel better about the idea of having two tanks and alternating.

I'd definitely do the boiling water treatment on any tank with mold on it, once I had a spare.

Please enter your equipment in your profile so we can help you.
Click here for information on the most common alternative to CPAP.
If it's midnight and a DME tells you it's dark outside, go and check for yourself.

Useful Links.

John from Brookston

Post by John from Brookston » Sat Jul 13, 2013 8:46 am

Bottle brush, hypo-allergenic dish soap, thorough rinse and air dry once a week. No pink slime, no mold.

Big fat guy who's diabetic, on HRT, and now a heart attack survivor as well as having OSA (boy, I sure won the genetic rodeo, din't I?). Ham Radio operator and I have a black tomcat named "Bart" who looks like an old prize fighter.

georgeniebling

Post by georgeniebling » Sat Oct 04, 2014 6:53 pm

OMG, THANK YOU!!!!!!!!!!

I've been trying to figure this out for 4 months.

Finally I can clean the thing!!!!!

g
Janknitz wrote:Please don't take offense but I want to be sure you know that the lid comes off???

I only ask because we've had the occasional person here who does not realize that. To get the lid off, stick your finger in the center hole and press against the plastic to release the lid.

With the lid off, it's pretty easy to get in the nooks and crannies. You might consider purchasing a baby bottle brush-they are pretty soft and can get just about anywhere. Ow wad up a lint free cloth to get it in the corners.

jmw

Post by jmw » Sat Oct 04, 2014 9:08 pm

I use a small paint brush (artist) and it gets into all of those little corners.