Any Ideas On Reducing Leakage???

General Discussion on any topic relating to CPAP and/or Sleep Apnea.
pblakneyjr

Any Ideas On Reducing Leakage???

Post by pblakneyjr » Tue Jul 09, 2013 9:43 am

I have an PR OptiLife Pillows Cushion mask. I've adjusted according to the booklet several times to get the best possible fit. Here is my Sleepyhead data from last night. I don't recall waking with my mouth open or the mask slipping. Any thoughts?

Pugsy

Re: Any Ideas On Reducing Leakage???

Post by Pugsy » Tue Jul 09, 2013 10:14 am

My thoughts are I wouldn't be worrying about doing much since you are sleeping through those minor leaks.
Large leak territory for your machine is around 75 to 90 L/min and only once did you even come any where near close and that was with the peak that hit 48 L/min
It was relatively short lived anyway and the rest of the time you kept leaks below 40 L/min.
So everything well below large leak territory.
You may be doing a little mouth breathing when you see those elevated little hills but they are far below the area where leaks might impact the effectiveness of your therapy.
The machine can compensate for a good bit of leaking no matter what the cause.
I will wager that your leak line is likely better than mine was from last night.

SleepyHead can give the appearance of making mountains out of mole hills due to the scale that is involved when leaks are minimal, which yours are. I bet if you were to look at the leak line using Encore software there would barely be a little blip or hill for the leaks.

So if you are sleeping through the leaks, feeling decent, and generally doing well...I don't see any urgent need to do anything about those little hills. Now if you told us you were waking up often from the leaks then that would be a different story since that would indicate that leaks were disrupting the quality of your sleep and any leak no matter how small that disturbs sleep is unwanted.

I would be nearly breaking my arm patting myself on the back if that was my report. I almost always see short lived evidence of mouth breathing that is more frequent and higher than yours seems to be.
Sometimes the extraordinary measures that we might undertake to get a nice perfectly flat leak line cause more sleep problems than a few episodes of relatively small leaks cause.

If you want to try the Eclipse mask and want a special promo code to get a little off the price...send me a private message.

pblakneyjr

Re: Any Ideas On Reducing Leakage???

Post by pblakneyjr » Tue Jul 09, 2013 11:39 am

Thanks Pugsy! I have learned so much from you and really value your input!