Cataract Surgery & FF Mask

General Discussion on any topic relating to CPAP and/or Sleep Apnea.
DoriC

Cataract Surgery & FF Mask

Post by DoriC » Sat Jul 13, 2013 3:50 pm

Anyone have experience with this? Mike is having surgery Tues on left eye first then other eye in 2 wks. I'll bring his Quattro FF mask with me for Dr to look at but it seems to me the mask is very close to his eyes. I do have a Quattro FX that I'll bring too, but he has trouble with leaks so he never uses it but at least that mask is not as near his eyes. Any suggestions?

"Do or Do Not-There Is No Try"-"Yoda"
"We are what we repeatedly do,so excellence
is not an act but a habit"-"Aristotle"
DEAR HUBBY BEGAN CPAP 9/2/08

SleepWellCPAP

Re: Cataract Surgery & FF Mask

Post by SleepWellCPAP » Sat Jul 13, 2013 4:48 pm

Bringing the FX is a good idea. As you say, it stays away from his eyes.

I got one of those new Quattro Air masks in the other day. Wow, what a mask that is. The package literally felt like there was nothing in it. I wonder if it wouldn't be worth a look for you also.

Good luck.

Jim
Jim Swearingen
Author of the book Sleep Well & Feel Great with CPAP, a definitive guide
For a free copy inquire with your local county librarian
CPAPtalk featured - Also available through Barnes & Noble Booksellers

DoriC

Post by DoriC » Sat Jul 13, 2013 5:12 pm

I did try the Air when cpapdotcom had a free return but I couldn't get it to seal up at the nose bridge. It seemed the forehead thingy was too stiff and wouldn't spread out far enough to stay put on the forehead. Of course I only tried it for a week and lost patience after being awakened several times so I sent it back. Now I'm second-guessing myself and wonder if I should have given it some more time. Maybe down the road when more reviews come in. We do pretty well with our Quattro FF and sometimes alternate with our Ultra Mirage FF.

knightlite

Post by knightlite » Mon Jul 15, 2013 8:32 pm

Thanks for asking this question . I have same to go through in two weeks . And I toss and turn a lot , I'm on the mirage quattro ff now. I may just not use the apap for several nights after both surgeries. I don't have any luck with nasal masks. Will watch this thread for any good ideas.

DoriC

Post by DoriC » Mon Jul 15, 2013 8:47 pm

I worry about not using the cpap but hope the Dr will have a suggestion. I would imagine he comes across this situation quite often and has a solution. I'll post an update after the surgery and let you know. Good luck.

kaiasgram

Post by kaiasgram » Mon Jul 15, 2013 8:48 pm

Dori, good luck and best wishes to you and Mike.

Madalot

Post by Madalot » Tue Jul 16, 2013 2:06 pm

Dori,

Just saw this. Today is Tuesday so I'm sending positive thoughts and vibes. I hope everything went well. Let us know when you can.

chunkyfrog
Location: Nebraska--I am sworn to keep the secret of this paradise.

Post by chunkyfrog » Tue Jul 16, 2013 2:12 pm

Several products from the Dry eye shop are intended for post-surgery use.
Best wishes for Mike.

Pugsy

Post by Pugsy » Tue Jul 16, 2013 2:49 pm

My husband had both eyes done last winter. He doesn't use cpap but I saw enough of the patch over the eyes to have an idea of the problems it might cause.
The first night with the dressing and patch will be the most difficult to maybe get and keep a good seal because of the bulk around the eye due to the gauze pressure dressing and the rigid Patch eye shield.
Just deal with it and accept that the mask will likely leak to some extent. I don't see any way around it with a full face mask.
After the patch and dressing are removed the next day then the patch alone is worn at night for a week just to prevent bumping the eye inadvertently during the night.
Minimal tape is needed and the patch, even though it is firm, should not really affect the mask placement and tape can probably be applied to hold the patch in place and not really affect mask placement. It doesn't take much tape to keep the patch in place.
There is no need to use huge strips of tape all over the face to keep the patch secure.

Hugs to you and Mike...you will get through this. It may not be perfect like to want to give Mike but you will be able to manage it decently.
If you don't get worn out doing all the post op drops and keeping which eye gets what, that in itself will be something to brag about.

If you want to try the Eclipse mask and want a special promo code to get a little off the price...send me a private message.

Kshynes

Post by Kshynes » Tue Jul 16, 2013 2:59 pm

I am just about to go through this in a few weeks so what perfect timing to ask the same question that I had been wondering about. Thank you to everyone from me also for all of your ideas and thoughts.
Kerri

joelrk35

Post by joelrk35 » Tue Jul 16, 2013 3:38 pm

I had both eyes done over a year ago. It really is a snap. Depending on the Doctor he will use a topical anesthetic and some sedation. I came home with a little kit that had a plastic shield for the eye and Rx for 3 types of drops. The shield goes over the eye at night while you are sleeping and is held in place with two strips of paper tape. I use a RespCare hybrid mask which was not a problem. Out of curiosity I tried my back up mask which is a Quattro FX and again it was not a problem. By the next day after each surgery I had 20/20 vision. However I use cheaters to read. I have reading glasses for books and a different magnification for the computer. I keep them all over the house so they are always handy. My wife also had cataract surgery in February and she has chosen to get glasses with clear glass for distance and a RX for reading. It is very personal as to what is most comfortable to you. Good luck with your surgery.

Additional Comments: ClimateLine Heated hose, Sleepyhead software
ResMed AirSense 10 Autoset For Her
ResMed AirFit F20 Full Face Mask

Bobby269

Post by Bobby269 » Tue Jul 16, 2013 4:00 pm

My wife had it done 4 months ago and wasn't put to sleep. She will be doing the other eye in the morning and won't be put to sleep. They gave her some thing to cover her eye the first week. It can be used the full 4 weeks if necessary. When I questioned the Doctor after my wife's first procedure. He told me me that I would have no problem when I need it.

Additional Comments: Set to Apap 14.00/20. EPR 3, Climate line hose, Oscar for Mac 1.1.0. Betta.1

Julie

Post by Julie » Tue Jul 16, 2013 4:45 pm

A bit late to this thread, but I had my left eye done under local 2 mos ago and only used a covering/patch for 1-2 nights as it seemed to cause more problems than otherwise... and I sleep on my front. I think there might have been a bit of pressure, etc. around the edges at particular times, but I did not wake up and no damage seems to have been done. I do tend to stay in one position all night I think, and that could be a factor.

tomjax

Post by tomjax » Tue Jul 16, 2013 5:08 pm

The procedure is so short he will not even need cpap.
Tell them you do not want the propofol for anesthesia- Michael Jacksons drug.
I had this a couple of years ago.
Wish him well and he is in for a real treat when he sees things he has not in a long time.

My wife had hers a couple of weeks ago and now I have to clean bathroom floor and lamp shades since she can see the dust.

DoriC

Post by DoriC » Tue Jul 16, 2013 5:27 pm

Well, all went according to plan and he's feeling OK. He doesn't need a gauze dressing at night, just the plastic cup. I brought the mask with me to show the RN and she showed me how to place the eye shield and the tape so it shouldn't interfere with the mask...maybe?? He needs to wear the shield at night for a week but I'll ask more about that when I see the Dr tomorrow for his followup. The 3 different drops are going to be fun especially since the schedule will be intermingled with the schedule for the second eye in 2 weeks. Who wants to volunteer?? Thanks so much for your good wishes and suggestions, you know they mean a lot to me.