Dealing with VA, and other nightmares

General Discussion on any topic relating to CPAP and/or Sleep Apnea.
goose
Location: The left coast - CA... If you're not living on the edge, you're taking up too much space!!

Dealing with VA, and other nightmares

Post by goose » Sat Jul 20, 2013 11:35 am

I have to rely on the VA for medical coverage these days. It's not as bad as some make it out to be, but it can be extremely maddening. They will NOT accept any previous diagnosis or treatment without VA validation. It took them 9 months to confirm I had ADD where my "Real Psychologist" took 6 weeks. The VA shrink didn't want to see any records of previous therapy, where, having studied Psych extensively (at the graduate level) that would be the FIRST thing I would want. Needless to say, I don't trust him and I've questioned his competence to his face...we don't get along very well....

I've had my A-CPAP (M-series) machine for 6 years now and it's still doing what it's supposed to do, however I have to admit I haven't looked at any reports lately (like 3+ years). I asked the VA for a replacement and do you think the old sleep study and 6 years of treatment was good enough for them?? Nooooooooooo!!!
They started me out with a split night and found the results "inconclusive"....Really? You're kidding?? You started the second half at 5cm after I told you my range is 11-15. I've never had to fight a mask until that night. They said the second half was not successful because I never went back to sleep....Well, no kidding? How well do you sleep when you are unable to breathe?
They did find an AHI of 65 with 38 Centrals....not good!! SO, it appears that my A-CPAP is inappropriate treatment...we'll see what they come up with.
When I get back from my "road trip" I'll be doing a titration (I hope), to determine treatment...I'll also be bending the ear of the RT in charge of treatment....
Oh another thing I found interesting (maybe)...The VA docs are pulmonologists (sp) and not neurologists...The explain by saying that OSA is a breathing issue, not a neurological issue...Whatever..........
On the one hand I'm happy they found what the study found, on the other hand it is really frustrating they won't accept previous diagnosis (for which they have the complete study).

Bottom line is that if you rely on VA for anything, be persistent and be very patient...

I'll try to update this when I find out what else they have in store.....

-the Dalai Lama

deerslayer

Re: Dealing with VA, and other nightmares

Post by deerslayer » Sat Jul 20, 2013 3:25 pm

Goose, all i can say is i wish you all the best with the VA red tape. For the most part, they mean well.
i for one am very thankful to be shed of that mess

thanks to Nick sleep HQ
Feeling Blessed & firmly believe in The Holy Trinity 🙏

drj130

Post by drj130 » Sat Jul 20, 2013 5:03 pm

Well, this doesn't bode well for me then. I knew I was heading into a nightmare, didn't think it was that bad.

Look twice, save a life. You never know when you might see a motorcyclist.

Sir NoddinOff

Post by Sir NoddinOff » Sat Jul 20, 2013 6:07 pm

Goose: As a veteran you are doing exactly what the VA (and the national military infrastructure) expects of you. Limping along with outdated and possibly dangerous equipment while trying to achieve an impossible task with the minimum of resources and organizational support (just like the last several US wars). Our nation thanks you (especially the taxpayer portion) for scrimping along with an ancient M-series CPAP for all these years.

BTW, that was sarcasm and I think you, as a veteran, definitely deserve better resources and tools. I'm glad you are speaking up, plus I hope this all works out in a good way. Maybe, you guys will finally get the support you deserve. It's about time.

I like my ResMed AirFit F10 FFM - reasonably low leaks for my ASV therapy. I'm currently using a PR S1 AutoSV 960P Advanced. I also keep a ResMed S9 Adapt as backup. I use a heated Hibernite hose. Still rockin' with Win 7 by using GWX to stop Win 10.

kteague

Post by kteague » Sun Jul 21, 2013 2:08 am

Hey Goose, good to see you (and your cute avatar) around here again, though I hate to hear you're going through some "stuff" regarding your treatment. Hope you can get things sorted out in the least possible time frame.

Bobby269

Post by Bobby269 » Sun Jul 21, 2013 5:11 pm

Here in San Antonio, Texas it's not like that.The sleep clinic took my sleep report from a civilian Doctor and gave me a S9 Autoset and whatever else I needed. You can get a new mask every 6 months. Climate line hose and filers you can receive sooner. There is a phone number to call to get your supplies sent to your door. You go to the sleep clinic once a year. When you see a Sleep Doctor they want to see copies of your sleep report and have the patience to discuss it with you.

They treat Veterans here like everyone should be treated.

Additional Comments: Set to Apap 14.00/20. EPR 3, Climate line hose, Oscar for Mac 1.1.0. Betta.1