PRS1 dry box experiment

General Discussion on any topic relating to CPAP and/or Sleep Apnea.
123.Shawn T.W.

PRS1 dry box experiment

Post by 123.Shawn T.W. » Tue Aug 20, 2013 7:43 am

I did a little video this morning ... took my PRS1 50 series humidifier with about 75% water in it, and turned it upside down!

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Ail9WDggLso

I leave water in my machine while I go down the road in my semi truck ... this dry box is why I like the PRS1 machines

"I am a man of peace, but if war comes to my door it will find me home." - Winston Churchill

jdm2857

Re: PRS1 dry box experiment

Post by jdm2857 » Tue Aug 20, 2013 10:30 pm

The new dry box design was Respironics' fix to the flawed humidifier of the not-loved
M-Series. It was way too easy to destroy an M-Series blower by tipping it with a
filled humidifier attached. (If I remember correctly, there were no also shortage of complaints
that the M-Series humidifier did not hold enough water to get many people through a
night.)

A key part of the dry box design is the long horizontal tube in the chamber through which the
air from the blower enters. If you take the chamber, fill it to the line, and seal the top opening
(which leads to the hose in normal operation), you'll find it almost impossible to get water to
enter that tube. So, spills into the blower are very unlikely.

This is one redesign that really worked.
jeff

kteague

Post by kteague » Wed Aug 21, 2013 1:55 am

You're a brave man on that one! Certainly got a wide variety of topics on your YT channel.

123.Shawn T.W.

Post by 123.Shawn T.W. » Wed Aug 21, 2013 7:07 am

kteague wrote:You're a brave man on that one! Certainly got a wide variety of topics on your YT channel.
Yeah, I'm curious on how things work ... I really want to cut a "dry box" open! But hesitate to "waste" one on a working machine! Anybody have a "dead humidifier" to donate?

Yes, I use YT for many things ... I like a variety of things!

This is my most popular video ... But I warn you ... Some may find it kinda on the gross side ... I was out dove hunting, and walking down a "wash" (creek bed, that during our "monsoon season" is a creek, but normally is dry) that had knee high grass growing in it at this place ... I was slowly creeping down when all of a sudden I heard a "buzz" from down by my feet, I instantly froze, as I KNEW that a rattle snake was VERY close! After searching around my feet, I finely saw this big ol' rattler coiled up and shaking his tail (had 13 rattles on it, I found out later!) it was only about 24" to 18" away from my left foot, I slowly lowered the barrel of my shotgun and blasted its head off... I took it home to eat it, but ... It was still moving around five hours later in my sink when I was trying to gut and skin it!

Gave me the heeby geebies!

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=dHY9BPpKZwA
"I am a man of peace, but if war comes to my door it will find me home." - Winston Churchill

archangle

Post by archangle » Thu Aug 22, 2013 11:49 pm

My PRS1 humidifier chamber is transparent and it's pretty easy to see how it works. I guess the 60 series tanks are tinted.

Take it out of the machine, and play with it over the sink. Fill it to the line with water. Notice that the air inlet tube comes to the center of the tank. Not just up and down, but right/left and front/back. As you tilt it front/back/right/left, the end of the air inlet stays above the level of the water. The water takes up less than half the volume of the tank. You basically can't pour water back "up" the air inlet.

However, if you fill it up above the fill line, water WILL pour back into the machine. Always remove the tank from the machine to fill, and slosh it around a little to make sure no water pours out in case you overfill it.

If you turn it more than 90 degrees or so, water will come out of the outlet hole, but that will pour out into the hose, not the blower unit. About the only way to get water back into the blower is to slosh it into there, and there are some baffles that make that hard to do.

However, if you ever drop one on the floor, be careful to pick it up such that the blower unit is UP and the humidifier is down. That helps keep water from pouring back into the blower after the water has been spread around in the humidifier and on the outside of the machine. That would apply to an S9 machine as well.

Please enter your equipment in your profile so we can help you.
Click here for information on the most common alternative to CPAP.
If it's midnight and a DME tells you it's dark outside, go and check for yourself.

Useful Links.