Reviews for the new ResMed Swift FX Nano

General Discussion on any topic relating to CPAP and/or Sleep Apnea.
Pugsy

Reviews for the new ResMed Swift FX Nano

Post by Pugsy » Sun Sep 08, 2013 6:52 am

I am going to start a new thread for reviews of just the new Swift FX Nano.
This thread below talks about more than the Nano and typically review threads get quite long but I wanted to keep what has already been said close by..so this link for prior general discussions and it also talks about the new Circadiance full face mask..the Anew
viewtopic/t91974/Cpapcom-now-has-the-Na ... lable.html

Here's the link again for the video that Johnny did comparing the Swift FX Nano gear to the Swift FX nasal pillow gear.
https://www.cpap.com/blog/the-swift-fx- ... t-fx-nano/
I recommend watching it if you are a Swift FX nasal pillow user and wondering about the Nano and the differences.
I know that ResMed says the gear isn't interchangeable...so that's going to be the official statement but personally from my own experience..since I now have both the nasal pillows gear and the Nano cushion....I can't see a problem mixing the gear but YMMV.
I talked about it yesterday in the above thread...page 3 I think it is.

I used the Nano last night. I will post my review shortly in this thread so that we can maybe try to keep the actual reviews in one easy to read spot.

If you want to try the Eclipse mask and want a special promo code to get a little off the price...send me a private message.

Pugsy

Re: Reviews for the new ResMed Swift FX Nano

Post by Pugsy » Sun Sep 08, 2013 7:50 am

Those of you who don't know me...I have never ever used anything but a nasal pillow mask of some sort except for a one night trial with the Innomed Hybrid full face mask.
So last night was the first time I have ever used a nasal mask all night...nasal meaning covering the nose only as opposed to the nasal pillow type. Previously I did try the Respironics Wisp but only lasted 90 minutes with it.

I used the new Swift FX Nano last night and kept it on all night. My sleep wasn't the greatest..partly because of the Nano and partly because the cat from hell decided to go wild last night. Lots of awakenings last night (too numerous to count) which means I am feeling it this morning.

So I used the Nano cushion with the new short hose assembly and my old Swift FX traditional headgear. I didn't opt to buy the new headgear kit for the Nano because the only difference is the back strap construction and it just wasn't worth the extra money to me.

This is what I bought with the Small cushion. $87 vs $118 for the full kit. Right now the full kit has free return insurance though....so it may be worth it if you think there's a chance the Nano might need to be returned. I knew that I would probably want to keep the new short hose assembly even if I didn't end up wanting to keep the cushion. I was right. Even if I don't keep the cushion I will want to keep the short hose for use with the nasal pillows as a back up for the Tap Pap.
https://www.cpap.com/productpage/resmed ... y-kit.html

Previously I had tried the Wisp for a brief time...90 minutes but I found that the ever so slight pressure on my nose from the Wisp cushion caused nasal congestion...congestion so bad that it woke me up at least 6 times and I finally removed it after about 90 minutes.
I did get some congestion also from the Nano cushion...not as much as with the Wisp though and I did manage to keep it on all night.
Lots of fragmented sleep and in general a restless night last night. I was aware of the Nano a lot...which really doesn't surprise me because it's the first time I ever used this type of mask...and the cat decided to go back to her wild roots last night and did a lot of wild running on the bed and body slamming on the window...so part of the fragmented sleep is/was related to the cat. I might have slept through part of her antics if I hadn't been sort of hyper aware of the new mask and the slight congestion.

The air going around the nose inside the cushion feels a bit weird for someone never using a mask like this. It was really easy to get a good comfortable seal and I had kept the cushion especially loose to lessen the chance of the pressure causing congestion.
When the cushion inflates it was sort of up close to my eyes...remember I have never had anything up there so while this was noticeable for me...those of you who are used to having something up there may not even notice it at all.

Obviously I liked the headgear for the Nano over the headgear of the Wisp. There's simply less there and I have always been one to prefer the least amount of headgear as possible. Plus I had over 2 years of using the Swift FX nasal pillows so I was very used to using that headgear.

In general if I was going to try to use a nasal cushion type of mask the Nano would be doable. The Wisp wasn't doable.
I think that the Nano will likely be a keeper for a lot of people. I predict it will be very popular. It's extremely quiet venting and my pressures are 10 exhale and 14 inhale as long as you keep the vented air from bouncing off the bed linens. It vents just like the Swift FX nasal pillows though ....straight out and some people won't like it. It is what it is though. Even with the rotating hose the vent holes don't change position all that much in terms of the directions of the air flow.

Regarding sizing...I initially thought maybe I had messed up getting the small size but once I added air pressure and it inflated the sizing was perfect. I don't have a working printer so I couldn't use the sizing template but I did eyeball the sizing and I knew the Small would be close. I will try to find something later this morning and actually measure the distance between the exterior walls of my nostrils to give you all an idea of how big my nostrils are. I am a small female but my nose isn't tiny..it isn't huge either.
So not a tiny button nose but not a huge honker either.

The Nano is a nice mask. I can see the potential for some discomfort at the bottom of the septum if a person tightens that back strap too much or tightens the top strap which will tend to pull the cushion upwards. That's the same as with the nasal pillows though...no big surprise there.
I do suggest watching the video for fitting available here
https://www.cpap.com/productpage/resmed ... dgear.html

I do plan on trying the cushion with the old Swift FX nasal pillow short hose assembly just to see if it makes any difference in bed and affects sleep or therapy. From my brief trial hooked up to the old headgear...I can't see it being a problem. I know it won't be quite as flexible but I think it will still be doable and not a huge limiting factor.
I will also be trying the new headgear with my nasal pillows over night. Again from brief hook up...I don't see a problem.
I know Resmed says they aren't interchangeable...but they fit and it won't be the first time that I have done something out of the box.

If you want to try the Eclipse mask and want a special promo code to get a little off the price...send me a private message.

2kittymom

Post by 2kittymom » Sun Sep 08, 2013 11:23 am

I received and tried out the Nano last night. I found it to be very lightweight and I love the minimal headgear. I would have liked the "for her" version, but I was afraid the small cushion could be just a tad too small, from trying the template on, so I bought the "average" one. I am a side sleeper, and a very light sleeper, and I found that I did have to adjust the mask and the straps a number of times because of small leaks. I also ended up adjusting my EPR to 3, as I found breathing against the EPR of 2 gave me resistance. I did have some marks on the underside of my nose, and one on the bridge. Nothing terrible, but I will try to see what I can do to eliminate those. In the past, every mask I tried would put a mark on the bridge of my nose - except for the Sleepweaver. I checked my SleepyHead info this morning, and my leak graph was pretty low, with 95% at 26 or lower. I think this mask is going to be a keeper for me. I still love the Sleepweaver Advanced, but I do not like the headgear that goes between the eyes and across the middle of my head, and the headgear wears out quickly, due to washing it everyday. I did try the Elan, but there was no way I could find to keep it from blowing in my eyes. Pugsy, I too have cats - 3 of them. I work 8:30pm - 1:30am on weekends, and this throws off their schedule. As much as I love their company at night, I have to ban them from the bedroom on Friday and Saturday nights as they won't settle down, and I can't sleep.

YogaKitty

Post by YogaKitty » Sun Sep 08, 2013 11:36 am

Wow, I ordered the Nano for her on Friday afternoon and it arrived yesterday! I didn't find it until this morning, so wasn't able to try it out yet. I am so impressed with the shipping from cpap.com!!

I will post a review as soon as I try it out.

RogerSC

Post by RogerSC » Sun Sep 08, 2013 11:54 am

Have the Nano, working on it. Seems a lot better than the Wisp for me, doesn't move around the way that the Wisp did, and I can feel the cushion inflate and the seal working when I turn on the CPAP. It was easy to fit/adjust, being a Swift FX user prior to this, do like the headgear. However, I used a new pillow last night instead of trying out the Nano, just to change as little as possible. The new pillow resulted in a 95% leak of 1 (yes, I said "one" *smile*) according to the machine, unprecedented for me, so if I can adjust to the slightly harder feel, I'll be using it. Good reason for giving it a good try-out.

I think that I'll use Ambien when I do try out the Nano, maybe tonight, maybe I'll give the pillow try-out a little more time, we'll see.

Pugsy

Post by Pugsy » Sun Sep 08, 2013 12:06 pm

2kittymom wrote:Pugsy, I too have cats - 3 of them. I work 8:30pm - 1:30am on weekends, and this throws off their schedule. As much as I love their company at night, I have to ban them from the bedroom on Friday and Saturday nights as they won't settle down, and I can't sleep.
Most of the time Lilly isn't quite so annoying but when she is on a terror there's no stopping her.
She's a Bengal...locking her out of the bedroom would result in she devil screams all night long outside my door. Been there, done that. If I didn't know better I would think I had a mountain lion in the house.

I also think I was a bit hyper sensitive and didn't sleep quite as deeply as I normally do because of the new mask...so some of her antics I likely would have slept through on another night.

Mgsnorer

Post by Mgsnorer » Sun Sep 08, 2013 1:18 pm

I too tried out the new Nano last night. I am pretty new to CPAP therapy and have only used nasal pillows so far, but I like the option of not having my nostrils inflate some of the time. I thought I would be bothered by the breeze on my nose, but I actually appreciated it, as it has been really hot here lately.

I used the Nano with Bella loops as the mask does not need as much upward stability compared the nasal pillows that sit under one’s nose. The loops worked great if you prefer that headgear.

I really like the new hose. I estimate that the diameter of the area where the pillow / cushion sits (the small area between the two dark larger rings) is about 1/8" larger than the old Swift FX hose. I measured the circumference where the cushion / pillows will sit, and it was just short of 3/8" larger on the Nano compared with the FX. I have included pics of the FX and the Nano, along with the Nano compared with the Aloha.

I also did the experiment of using my Aloha hose with the Swift FX, and that also works. The circumference of the Aloha seems just about identical to the Nano. The Swift FX pillows fit great on both these hoses, and the ball and socket hoses make the pillows much more comfortable for me, but perhaps they will wear out faster with the larger diameter?? The hose has that ball and socket, that is much for fluid than the Aloha ball and socket, along with the ability to twist at the top of the hose (right below the air vent) and very fluid twisting at the base of the hose. I also put the new Nano cushion on the old FX hose, and I could not detect any leaking where the cushion goes around the hose, even though the circumference is slightly smaller. I can't comment on how the old hose would behave with the new cushion without the ball and socket.

I like the cushion and I really like the new hose.

Here is the Swift FX hose (left) and the new Nano (right)

The Aloha (left) and the Nano (right)

Pugsy

Post by Pugsy » Sun Sep 08, 2013 8:34 pm

Mgsnorer wrote: I used the Nano with Bella loops as the mask does not need as much upward stability compared the nasal pillows that sit under one’s nose. The loops worked great if you prefer that headgear.
What you said about the Bella loops got me more curious and I move up the Nano cushion with Bella Loops experiment to tonight. Already have the old hose on it so will leave it that way.
Briefly lay down with the machine on and it is extremely stable. Much more stable than I had first thought.
So that's my test for tonight.
Bella Loops, Nano cushion and the old FX hose.
Quite comfortable.
That's the planned experiment tonight.

Last edited by Pugsy on Sun Sep 08, 2013 8:47 pm, edited 1 time in total.
I may have to RISE but I refuse to SHINE.

chunkyfrog
Location: Nebraska--I am sworn to keep the secret of this paradise.

Post by chunkyfrog » Sun Sep 08, 2013 8:42 pm

RogerSC

Post by RogerSC » Mon Sep 09, 2013 2:06 am

Pugsy wrote:
Mgsnorer wrote: I used the Nano with Bella loops as the mask does not need as much upward stability compared the nasal pillows that sit under one’s nose. The loops worked great if you prefer that headgear.
What you said about the Bella loops got me more curious and I move up the Nano cushion with Bella Loops experiment to tonight. Already have the old hose on it so will leave it that way.
Briefly lay down with the machine on and it is extremely stable. Much more stable than I had first thought.
So that's my test for tonight.
Bella Loops, Nano cushion and the old FX hose.
Quite comfortable.
That's the planned experiment tonight.
Interested to hear how this experiment turns out, hoping for a full report *smile*.

Thanks.

Pugsy

Post by Pugsy » Mon Sep 09, 2013 7:14 am

RogerSC wrote: Interested to hear how this experiment turns out, hoping for a full report
How full of a report do you want?
Below are screen shots of the reports from both SleepyHead and Encore because I wanted to see if I got a large leak flag during that one time the leaks got a little higher than usual. I have also included a PB shot because it is what I call a boring Periodic Breathing time. People get all upset when they see PB but it doesn't always mean CSR. Remember PB is just waxing and waning of the air flow that lasts for at least 2 minutes.

Went to bed shortly after 10 PM and woke up right before 5 AM...and slept solidly the entire night. If I had awakenings..they were minimal and brief and I don't remember them.

I used the Bella Loops..the Nano cushion and the old short hose just to see if the slightly less flexibility made any difference to me.
I couldn't tell that it did. The Nano cushion did extremely well with the Bella Loops. Not unstable at all like I thought it might be. It's been a while since I have used the Loops (been using the Tap Pap since first of March) so I can't remember exactly but the Nano was at least as stable if not more stable than the nasal pillows. I was afraid that the added weight of the Nano cushion (it weighs roughly twice the nasal pillows per Carolyn's experiments weighing them) would cause undue pulling on the Loops that might create a problem....that fear was totally unfounded.

Oh...before I forget it...there's another little bug in SH. When I first looked at the AHI it was doubled from what you see here and that didn't compute with eyeballing the events graph...so I closed SH and then opened it again and things were calculated as they should. I have seen this happen before and closing and reopening fixed it. Next time it happens I will try to get screen shots of before and after and get them to Mark so he can try to figure out what is causing the problem. It wasn't double sessions nor double events I don't think. So it might not hurt for people to close SH and then reopen and see if their AHI changes. In my situation both Hyponeas and Obstructive Apneas were doubled.

All in all a good night with the Nano cushion and Bella Loops. Minimal behind the ear tenderness from the loops. Didn't use any special strap covers or loop covers this time. There wasn't enough tenderness to worry about...it was very minimal.
Things weren't tight...can't do tight with the Loops because if you do it pulls the ear forward and hurts right away.
I was exhausted from the prior night of poor sleep and I didn't cheat with a nap yesterday afternoon though I got close a couple of times on the couch. I did take an Ambien 10 mg last night...I am currently out of my usual amitryptiline and just haven't made it to the pharmacy yet to get a refill. And I also took 25 mg of Meclizine because I have been battling BPPV for the last 3 plus weeks.

Minimal congestion from the pressure of the cushion..very minimal. Makes me wonder if maybe I had the headgear a little too snug the night before or it was just a fluke and last night I slept through the congestion. It's very possible that the prior night's poor sleep was just because it was a new mask and my brain was hyper sensitive to everything that night. I went from no headgear with the Tap Pap and nasal pillows and mouth guard...to traditional headgear and a totally new type of mask in the cushion...so maybe the brain was in hyper vigilant mode because totally new stuff was on the face...and probably the cat from Hell didn't help matters.
She was a good girl last night. Never heard her.

So below are the reports. I suspect the bigger leak time was most likely some mouth breathing. Can't prove it one way or the other but I have been known to do a bit of mouth breathing in the past. Most of the time it never reaches large leak territory and doesn't wake me up...so I don't really worry about it. Whatever it was last night...I slept right through it and since it didn't get a large leak flag then I am not going to worry about this one either. Only time I worry about leaks is IF they wake me up or IF they hit large leak territory and stay there for very long. I don't worry about 5 or 10 minutes in large leak territory if it doesn't wake me up.
My main goal has always been "Get Good sleep" and anything that wakes me up often doesn't let me get good sleep. For me to try to use a chin strap or tape (I have done both in the paste) would disturb my sleep a lot more than 5 or 10 minutes in large leak would hurt me.

Anyone wanting to try the Nano cushion with the Bella Loops...if you do well with the Loops then I see no reason not to give it a try.
It was extremely comfortable. Surprisingly so really.
Still don't see any of this replacing the Tap Pap as number one but I do have alternatives should I not be able to use the mouth guard for some reason.
So far...the Nano cushion gets a B+ from me for my needs. Quite nice and doable. I still prefer the nasal pillows as I think that the direct humidified air actually makes the nasal mucosa feel better so I breathe better and since I have used nothing but nasal pillows for over 4 years (and no desire to change) they will continue to be my preference but I am pleasantly surprised that the Nano cushion is something that I could use successfully if the need arose. I couldn't say that about the Wisp. Unsure why the greater problem with the Wisp unless the headgear on the Wisp contributed to the pressure on the nose from the Wisp but I had it really loose and couldn't have had it any looser and have it seal. Maybe just a slightly different type of pressure at a slightly different angle. Has me scratching my head for sure...

Any specific questions that you all need answered by either of my 2 experiments?

Pugsy

Post by Pugsy » Mon Sep 09, 2013 8:19 pm

I need ideas for another experiment...has someone got an idea they want checked out.

So far...first night with Nano cushion and the new Nano hose and old Swift FX traditional headgear...slept poorly but it wasn't all related to the Nano...part was the bran being in hyper mode and part was congestion from the cushion and part was the cat from hell.

Last night I used the Bella Loops with the Nano cushion and the old short hose that comes with Swift FX nasal pillows.
Did extremely well. Was a big surprise that it was so stable. Slept solidly from shortly aft 10 PM till about 5 AM.

So anything you want me to try tonight?
Any combination of something you wondering about.????

Pugsy

Post by Pugsy » Tue Sep 10, 2013 8:11 am

Quick report on last night.
Used the Nano cushion with the new short hose and the Bella Loops for most of the night. Woke up with the loop pinching the left ear again and switched over to the Tap Pap.
Plan tonight is to use the new short hose with the Swift FX nasal pillows just for grins...after that unless someone has a different combination they want me to try I will probably go back to my Tap Pap and just keep the Nano stuff for backup or I may give the cushion to my stepsister to try. She does a lot better with the Loops than I do.... The new short hose..I really like it and plan to keep it anyway for possible use down the road with the Swift FX nasal pillows if for some reason I can't use the mouth guard (like toothache). I can easily use the cushion though..just not sure if there will ever be a need since I do so well with the nasal pillows.
Report below...not real pretty leak line till the Tap Pap was used...easy to see when.
No real problems with the Nano cushion itself..main problems were with the ear loops..again on the left ear for some reason.

YogaKitty

Post by YogaKitty » Tue Sep 10, 2013 1:33 pm

I received my Nano for Her this past weekend. I have used it for two nights now, so I will leave a short review.

I printed and cut out the sizing guide and was a little concerned the small, for her cushion, would be the right size. I just fit into the cut out, so I was worried. It is a perfect size. Once the cushion inflates, I have plenty of room. I am used to using the Sleepweaver Elan exclusively and previously tried and abandoned the Swift FX for her pillow type mask. The Nano has done well. I have had an AHI of .6 for the last two nights. This is just abbout the same as my AHI with the elan. The venting is a good news, bad news scenario. Good news because it doesnt vent into my eyes, bad news because the venting is just like what drove me crazy with the Swift fx pillows. I hate it blowing on my bedsheets and my hands. It drives my cat crazy and he won't snuggle with me. He LOVES the elan and snuggles in for little puffs of air. The headgear is pretty comfortable, but I do notice it being thicker and stiffer than I am used to. When I sleep on my side, it's digging into my temple. It's still pretty soft, just not AS soft as the elan headgear.

All in all, I think its a keeper. I am sleeping well with it, it has a good seal and it pretty comfortable. Will it replace the elan as my favorite mask? Probably not. But I think I wll keep it just so than I can have options.

acidragon

Post by acidragon » Tue Sep 10, 2013 8:56 pm

Hey pugs looking at your leak graph from 5-6 is that mouth leaking?