Can mask move your teeth over time?

General Discussion on any topic relating to CPAP and/or Sleep Apnea.
surf_rower

Can mask move your teeth over time?

Post by surf_rower » Sat Oct 19, 2013 5:10 am

Hi all, been using nasal pillows for about 4 months with some success. (At least, AHI is next to nothing.) I use some lanolin to keep the nose piece from shifting or chafing, works great. However, most mornings I feel pressure has been on my upper teeth, similar to the pressure I felt after wearing a retainer at night when I was 14. It doesn't bother me, but it makes me wonder whether it could, over time, actually move teeth around. Has anyone had that happen? Is it normal to feel pressure, or is my mask too tight?
ResMed AirSense 11 AutoSet
Mask: ResMed N30i with cushion

Pugsy

Re: Can mask move your teeth over time?

Post by Pugsy » Sat Oct 19, 2013 7:53 am

I have used nothing but a nasal pillow of some type (Swift LT, Swift FX and finally the Tap Pap for past 7 months) for since May 2009 and I have had no issues with teeth and the nasal pillows. That Swift FX back strap might be just a tad too snug if you are feeling residual pressure on your front teeth.
I say that since I have been using the Tap Pap and that mouth guard (see my mask in my profile) I know what pressure on the teeth feels like and after a discussion with my dentist about it (no fears of permanent movement) it did "feel" a bit like the bite has altered first thing in the morning but that has totally gone away now.

The nasal pillows themselves with the Swift FX should just gently rest on that area above the upper lip and I would think anything but very temporary and short lived residual discomfort in the front teeth would mean that the back strap is a bit too snug.
Worth loosening just a little if you feel that something is actually moving and not going away... as in the feeling stays with you all day.

Edit: Just noticed my mask isn't showing up in my profile...it's selected so must be a system error.
In case you are interested and it is still absent when you read this.
https://www.cpap.com/productpage/tap-pa ... roved.html

If you want to try the Eclipse mask and want a special promo code to get a little off the price...send me a private message.

Country4ever

Post by Country4ever » Sat Oct 19, 2013 9:15 am

Yes, its possible. But I would make sure your mask isn't too tight.
I asked my dentist if it was possible that my Original Swift nasal pillow was moving my teeth a little and he said yes.
I think its possible to feel like its moving your teeth, but is only putting a little bit of pressure on them. Teeth can be really sensitive to just a little bit of pressure. Ever get a small piece of apple skin in-between your teeth? Feels like a boulder!

deerhound

Post by deerhound » Sat Oct 19, 2013 9:40 am

My upper teeth have moved forward somewhat, probably due to my tongue pushing up toward them at the roof of my mouth to keep from mouth leaking. It is a minor annoyance.

Dale

AHI:
Untreated 156
Treated 1.1

chunkyfrog
Location: Nebraska--I am sworn to keep the secret of this paradise.

Post by chunkyfrog » Sat Oct 19, 2013 1:25 pm

I did notice a little of that with my Nuance Pro; but with a little more adjusting, I think I can get that down some more.

Bobshouse

Post by Bobshouse » Sat Oct 19, 2013 2:19 pm

Just another reason to get the Tap Pap!!

surf_rower

Post by surf_rower » Sat Oct 19, 2013 5:54 pm

Tap Pap sounds good, but I do have one slightly protruding front tooth, not sure if it's enough to disqualify me, as they suggest in their Tips section.
First I'll loosen the head strap... it has been comfortable but it could be looser I suppose.
Thanks!
ResMed AirSense 11 AutoSet
Mask: ResMed N30i with cushion

Post by Guest » Tue Dec 09, 2014 11:28 pm

My front teeth are moving big time since wearing the nose pillow. I am about to change soon and in need of braces because of it... What out because it can and WILL cause movement of the teeth.

Janknitz

Post by Janknitz » Wed Dec 10, 2014 2:19 am

I have had teeth move from a full face mask that I had to keep pretty tight at the bottom. I could see some pressure on the top teeth with a rigid nasal mask, but nasal pillows???? They should fit very loosely. I can't imagine enough pressure on a nasal pillow mask to move teeth. Check the fit, it should not extend to where your teeth are and it should not be tight!

I'm using the Whisp mask now, and there is NO pressure on teeth whatsoever.
What you need to know before you meet your DME http://tinyurl.com/2arffqx
Taming the Mirage Quattro http://tinyurl.com/2ft3lh8
Swift FX Fitting Guide http://tinyurl.com/22ur9ts
Don't Pay that Upcharge! http://tinyurl.com/2ck48rm

Tatooed Lady

Post by Tatooed Lady » Wed Dec 10, 2014 3:04 am

Guest wrote:My front teeth are moving big time since wearing the nose pillow. I am about to change soon and in need of braces because of it... What out because it can and WILL cause movement of the teeth.

If your teeth are moving "big time" maybe it's your oral hygiene that's the problem and not the pillows.

As Bette Davis famously said, “Old age ain’t for sissies.”
I'm with the band.
So.Many.TOYS!

palerider

Post by palerider » Wed Dec 10, 2014 9:20 am

Janknitz wrote:I have had teeth move from a full face mask that I had to keep pretty tight at the bottom. I could see some pressure on the top teeth with a rigid nasal mask, but nasal pillows???? They should fit very loosely. I can't imagine enough pressure on a nasal pillow mask to move teeth. Check the fit, it should not extend to where your teeth are and it should not be tight!
how could one even arrange a nasal mask to put pressure on teeth? the directions of force are completely different!

Accounts to put on the foe list: dataq1, clownbell, gearchange, lynninnj, mper!?, DreamDiver, Geer1, almostadoctor, sleepgeek, ajack, stom, mogy, D.H., They often post misleading, timewasting stuff.

jencat824

Post by jencat824 » Wed Dec 10, 2014 8:01 pm

Well, it is possible for PAP therapy to move teeth over time. I cannot say if it is specific to any particular mask, but it can happen & did happen to me. At the time I was at a pressure of 19 on straight CPAP. This can be corrected if caught early, with a simple retainer your dentist should be able to make for you.

In my case I waited until there was a LOT of movement so had $4,800 worth of dental work (braces) but I now am close to the end of moving my teeth back. I will be wearing a retainer every night to prevent any movement that may be caused by my PAP therapy.

Hopefully you are just beginning to experience movement & your dentist can get a retainer made. I have no experience with the Tap Pap mask so I can't comment on it. I would recommend you discuss this with your dentist. Long story short - delaying this cost me $$$ so the sooner you have this discussion with your dentist the better.

Jen

Other masks I've tried: *=liked, #= no way
Piliaro, SleepWeaver Elan*, Swift FX w&w/o Bella Loops#, OpitLife#,Simplicity*, Mirage Vista*, Go Life for Her#, IQ (original hg only)*, Quattro FX (barely)###, Wisp*, Nuance#, Swift LT for her**

jwerley

Post by jwerley » Wed Dec 10, 2014 8:24 pm

The Chin Strap I have to wear to keep my mouth closed has caused movement of my lower front teeth.

"He who understands you is greater kin to you than your own brother. For even your own kindred may neither understand you nor know your true worth."
Kahlil Gibran

lindaknc

Post by lindaknc » Thu Feb 05, 2015 7:32 pm

Have been using CPAP with pillows for a little over two years. My teeth have moved quite a bit and have a lot of spaces between ny teeth that used to not be there. The top teeth are moving my bottom teeth, my dentist confirmed today that is the CPAP doing it. Recommends getting retainers for my teeth at night. Not happy as I have always had very good looking teeth and now they are not as nice. Can't have braces or anything like that as I am older and do have some bone loss and braces could eventually make my teeth fall out. Wish I would have know this could happen as I might have looked into having the surgery to correct sleep apnea. Still might look into it before it gets worse. Anyway take this into consideration if you need a CPAP, maybe look into surgery or different type of mask.