terrible fog with asv still please help!

General Discussion on any topic relating to CPAP and/or Sleep Apnea.
sickwithapnea17

terrible fog with asv still please help!

Post by sickwithapnea17 » Sun Oct 20, 2013 7:36 pm

http://imageshack.com/i/b9akjyp

my apnea is so severe with fogginess that I have headaches on waking up and can't read, can't walk far. I'm still having terrible fog and exhaustion on the asv, I think the auto settings help but I don't know what to set the epap range at and ipap max or ti, bpm. thanks very much!

I'm not sure what the pressure pulse, vibratory snore, flow limitations, hypopneas are, I seem to have mostly central apneas. I still wheeze and can't exhale well with asthma and have diabetes, kidney problems

I was titrated on a different machine at epap 5cm, ps min 5, ps max 15cm, but I couldn't use this terrible machine with the high bpm it was too aggressive
Last edited by sickwithapnea17 on Sun Oct 20, 2013 7:54 pm, edited 1 time in total.
18/14 bipap st

4betterO2

Re: terrible fog with asv still please help!

Post by 4betterO2 » Sun Oct 20, 2013 10:02 pm

What is the model of your machine? Since you mention it is an asv machine, I guess it is a Respironics auto-advanced ASV?
It would help a lot if you would show the SleepyHead screens that show the complete current settings on the machine, and the graphs of machine-triggered breaths.

Also, how long have you had this machine?
Auto-adjusting PR machines work on monitoring the flow that is normal for you, and they are not as efficient in doing so as they are supposed to be, at the beginning: they kind of need to "learn" how you breathe. After a month or two of use, the machine would be better at analyzing, and reacting, to your breathing.
P.S.: I just read another post where the OP called a ResMed SV machine an ASV machine. I don't know how ResMed machines monitor breathing but someone else can fill in on that. So -- which model DO you have?

I'm mentioning this as your graph shows IPAP peaks which are kind of intense, but short in duration. If you are indeed using a new auto-sensing machine, it may take a month or two for the machine to learn your patterns and then it will not over-react this way. However, you do not show the wave for patient-triggered breaths. If that wave does correlate with the IPAP wave, it could indicate the machine is raising IPAP as needed to initiate breathing, and in this case it is doing its job very well.

It seems the settings you say you had on another machine, "epap 5cm, ps min 5, ps max 15cm," are generally reasonable; so you would only need to make sure the bpm (breaths per minute, this is the "backup rate" that treats centrals) is not as high as the one there, or also, you could set it to auto. We would need to have the complete list of settings though to really see what's going on, can you list them? If you do have a PR ASV machine, you can see the 6 main settings on the configuration screen. Only the Ti (Timed inspiration, only acts during machine-triggered breaths) does not show there. To get more in these details, also, here is an essential preliminary question: are you allowed to change the settings yourself, or are you prevented from doing so by your equipment provider?

JDS74

Post by JDS74 » Mon Oct 21, 2013 3:51 am

You have selected the incorrect humidifier for you Respironics 950P AutoSV BiPap machine.
The correct one is PR System One Heated Humidifier.

Could you switch your display to text as so many of the machines look so similar?

As suggested, switching the BPM setting to Auto will help with the feeling that the machine is forcing you to breath too aggressively.

Your SleepyHead images are a month old. Could you post something from the last night or two so we could see what's going on now?

Normally Vibratory Snore refers to the machine detecting snoring because of a partial blockage but sometimes rainout in the mask can cause noises that ar reported. Are you having rainout issues? If not, then your pressures may not be treating your obstrucive events well enough.

With issues of morning headaches as fogginess, its a good idea to discuss them with your sleep doctor. Its not a good idea to fiddle with the pressure settings on this machine as they interact in a complex manner and you may make things worse.

Oracle 452 Lessons Learned Updated
DSX900 AutoSV with HC150 extra humidifier and Hibernite heated hose
Settings: EPAP Min-10.0, EPAP Max-17, PS Min-3, PS Max-10, Max Pressure-20, Rate-Auto, Biflex-1.
Sleepyhead and Encore Pro 2.21.

mollete

Post by mollete » Mon Oct 21, 2013 4:32 am

See OP's prior posts.

He's a

mgaggie

Post by mgaggie » Mon Oct 21, 2013 4:48 am

I agree with mollete.

Don't waste your time and energy on this person, search for some of their previous postings and you'll see why

Madalot

Post by Madalot » Mon Oct 21, 2013 5:20 am

mgaggie wrote:I agree with mollete.

Don't waste your time and energy on this person, search for some of their previous postings and you'll see why
Yes. Sickwithapnea17 & Dying13 are allegedly the same person as well.

I stand by my previous statements that I do not know whether this poster is just so sick and can't get help (and if that's the case he/she has my compassion) or just a screwball that is messing with us. Regardless, this person cannot be helped on an internet forum, even one as great as this. A lot of people here have given everything they have trying to help, but you cannot help someone who won't help themselves at least a little.

Research the posts and you will see a pattern of behavior that occurs every time people try to help.

robysue

Post by robysue » Mon Oct 21, 2013 6:39 am

sickwithapnea17 & dying13:

The data you posted shows that the machine is taking care of your apnea very well. That doesn't mean you are not feeling lousy. It does mean that what ever it is that is making you feel lousy is most likely NOT ineffective machine settings.

1) You need to quit the dial wingin' and allow yourself to try to get used to these settings by using them for a month or more.

2) You need to work with your doctors on addressing your multiple serious medical issues that go well beyond the sleep apnea.

3) Your current sleep schedule (as shown by the data) is from 7:00pm to 4:00am. On paper, that's plenty of sleep, and if that schedule fits your lifestyle, fine. But if wish you could sleep later and stay up later, you need to work with your doctors and ask about whether you have a circadian rhythm problem.

JohnBFisher

Post by JohnBFisher » Mon Oct 21, 2013 10:24 am

sickwithapnea17 wrote:... my apnea is so severe ...
Are your pants on fire yet? That's NOT what SleepyHead says about your apnea:

[ due to privacy concerns, I removed the image at request of SWA ... the image specifically noted an AHI of zero ]

Your AHI on that particular day was ... is everyone ready for it ... ZERO!

You may indeed feel very groggy. But the machine is doing its job. You do NOT have apneas. I've mentioned to you before, if you have BPM set to anything other than AUTO you might want to change it to AUTO.

But that brings me back to my original point with you. You need to work with your doctor.

Perhaps you feel you should be getting sympathy from folks on the forum. Trust me, the above graph will earn you very little sympathy. And in fact, it might create some resentment from people who struggle mightily to get their apnea under control. Yours appears to be well controlled. You may have other issues. If so, you need to work with your doctor on those issues. We can not help with non-xPAP device related issues.

Last edited by JohnBFisher on Sun Nov 17, 2013 10:11 am, edited 1 time in total.
"I get up. I walk. I fall down. Meanwhile, I keep dancing” from Rabbi Hillel
"I wish to paint in such a manner as if I were photographing dreams." from Zdzisław Beksiński

nanwilson

Post by nanwilson » Mon Oct 21, 2013 10:35 am

GO TO SEE YOUR DOCTOR
Started cpap in 2010.. still at it with great results.

Madalot

Post by Madalot » Mon Oct 21, 2013 1:43 pm

nanwilson wrote:GO TO SEE YOUR DOCTOR
+1

sickwithapnea17

Post by sickwithapnea17 » Fri Oct 25, 2013 5:55 pm

thanks very much! in truth my apnea is really bad, I couldn't read a sentence at one point because my memory was so damaged. it is only because I am using 5 litres of oxygen and klonopin to reduce centrals that I have better results. on my studies my AHI was about 40.
No, for the FINAL TIME I've gone to 35 doctors and they don't give me good settings, all they tell me is to lower the settings which has bad results
without asv+oxygen+klonopin I would be again in heavy fog and exhausted and waking up with low oxygen headaches. this is only proof it seems of klonopin and oxygen and asv effectiveness
to be honest I don't understand the bitter and ridiculous attacks I've gotten on this forum from total strangers when I have this disease and am trying to find better treatment

ok let me post results
18/14 bipap st

Stormynights

Post by Stormynights » Sat Oct 26, 2013 5:30 am

Your AHI is 0.0. It can't get better than that. There are many people that never see a 0.0. Your settings are good or you wouldn't see 0.0. Your problems are not with your machine settings or your machine. Whatever is causing your problems cannot be solved by anyone on a forum. Only a doctor can tell you why you have brain fog.

Joe Snooze

Post by Joe Snooze » Sat Oct 26, 2013 8:16 am

I would suggest you look at your meds, especially Klonopin, as a source of your "brain fog"

You may have no choice due to anxiety or other problems but to take klonopin but all the drugs in that class cause central nervous system depression i.e. drowsiness.

nanwilson

Post by nanwilson » Sat Oct 26, 2013 8:29 am

Joe Snooze wrote:I would suggest you look at your meds, especially Klonopin, as a source of your "brain fog"

You may have no choice due to anxiety or other problems but to take klonopin but all the drugs in that class cause central nervous system depression i.e. drowsiness.
Joe... sickwithapnea17 aka dying13 has been told this MANY times and has been given TONS of advice, but refuses to listen, just keeps repeating the same old same old.
Just take a look at his/her previous posts.... more and more of the same.
Started cpap in 2010.. still at it with great results.

mollete

Post by mollete » Sat Oct 26, 2013 8:35 am

Yeah, so, "IMHO", he's either a LSOS, a Müncher, or simply batcrap crazy.