CPAP Causes Weight Gain

General Discussion on any topic relating to CPAP and/or Sleep Apnea.
cpapist

CPAP Causes Weight Gain

Post by cpapist » Thu Oct 24, 2013 6:40 am

Yes it does. Right here is the science - http://doctorstevenpark dot com/cpap-use-found-to-cause-weight-gain?fb_source=pubv1

Loreena

Re: CPAP Causes Weight Gain

Post by Loreena » Thu Oct 24, 2013 7:27 am

Does it matter? At least we're not going to die from asphyxiation.

There is a hierarchy of values, you know.

Last edited by Loreena on Thu Oct 24, 2013 9:53 am, edited 1 time in total.
+ Original Deluxe-Style Chinstrap + Nexcare Low Trauma tape

chunkyfrog
Location: Nebraska--I am sworn to keep the secret of this paradise.

Post by chunkyfrog » Thu Oct 24, 2013 8:02 am

Nearly EVERYTHING causes weight gain, if you are inclined to gain weight.

JDS74

Post by JDS74 » Thu Oct 24, 2013 8:33 am

It's possible that feeling better increases apetite leading to weight gain and feeling lousy leads to not eating well.

Just a thought.

Oracle 452 Lessons Learned Updated
DSX900 AutoSV with HC150 extra humidifier and Hibernite heated hose
Settings: EPAP Min-10.0, EPAP Max-17, PS Min-3, PS Max-10, Max Pressure-20, Rate-Auto, Biflex-1.
Sleepyhead and Encore Pro 2.21.

icipher

Post by icipher » Thu Oct 24, 2013 9:02 am

JDS74 wrote:It's possible that feeling better increases apetite leading to weight gain and feeling lousy leads to not eating well.

Just a thought.

This would be my guess. I cannot realistically think that cpap would cause weight gain any other way.

nanwilson

Post by nanwilson » Thu Oct 24, 2013 9:12 am

icipher wrote:
JDS74 wrote:It's possible that feeling better increases apetite leading to weight gain and feeling lousy leads to not eating well.

Just a thought.

This would be my guess. I cannot realistically think that cpap would cause weight gain any other way.
+1 Have you ever seen a cpap machine that has the ability to put food in your mouth or stop you from your regular excersize
Started cpap in 2010.. still at it with great results.

chunkyfrog
Location: Nebraska--I am sworn to keep the secret of this paradise.

Post by chunkyfrog » Thu Oct 24, 2013 9:14 am

Many tend to gain weight as they get older; ergo, cpap causes weight gain by making you live longer.
Everything is a trade-off. It does not necessarily have to be this way.
When I used the energy gained from cpap to prepare nutritious food and get sufficient exercise, I LOST weight.
In my case, it's a matter of taking the new energy and using it properly. Will power, it's now or never.

kteague

Post by kteague » Thu Oct 24, 2013 9:54 am

I could not find the material you referenced. I've read Dr. Parks saying poor sleep (like sleep apnea causes) can cause weight gain, but couldn't find him saying CPAP causes it. Can you give the exact link?

Kitatonic

Post by Kitatonic » Thu Oct 24, 2013 10:35 am

Just a few months before I was diagnosed, I was losing weight to the point of underweight.Once on PAP, my weight returned to the normal level and stabilized over the past few years. I think severe hypoxia alters so many metabolic hormones and creates insulin resistance. Gradually over two years, my insulin resistance resolved.

BlackSpinner

Post by BlackSpinner » Thu Oct 24, 2013 11:29 am

Sleeping well aids digestion, which means the food you eat is processed more and stored in fat.
Normally this is not a problem because as you sleep better you get off the couch and do more things so that most people begin to lose weight instead.

71. The lame can ride on horseback, the one-handed drive cattle. The deaf, fight and be useful. To be blind is better than to be burnt on the pyre. No one gets good from a corpse. The Havamal

Goofproof

Post by Goofproof » Thu Oct 24, 2013 11:39 am

Die from Sleep Apnea and you will loose weight.

Treat Sleep Apnea, you will live longer, be healthier, andhave a better chance to overeat yourself to death.

Which will make you happy! Jim
Use data to optimize your xPAP treatment!

"The art of medicine consists in amusing the patient while nature cures the disease." Voltaire

cpapist

Post by cpapist » Thu Oct 24, 2013 11:40 am

Will someone post the exact link for kteague.

kteague, If you put in . where I say dot and then paste it in a browser it will work. Guests cannot post links. I will register in a few days after I decide on a user name that is not already taken.

Goofproof

Post by Goofproof » Thu Oct 24, 2013 11:55 am

cpapist wrote:Will someone post the exact link for kteague.

kteague, If you put in . where I say dot and then paste it in a browser it will work. Guests cannot post links. I will register in a few days after I decide on a user name that is not already taken.
Troll is free. Jim
Use data to optimize your xPAP treatment!

"The art of medicine consists in amusing the patient while nature cures the disease." Voltaire

kaiasgram

Post by kaiasgram » Thu Oct 24, 2013 12:07 pm

Trolling or pot-stirring behavior aside, here's the article:

http://doctorstevenpark.com/cpap-use-fo ... eight-gain

Here's the study Dr. Park is citing:

http://www.aasmnet.org/jcsm/ViewAbstract.aspx?pid=29161

*mollete, are you an AASM member with access to the full text of the article? As a former researcher I'm curious about their methodology (especially what the "Sham CPAP" setup entailed) and what they say in their Discussion section.

In any case, guys, Dr. Park is way jumping the gun by claiming that CPAP use causes weight gain. At best all this research showed is that in this one study, mild weight gain was associated with CPAP use. In a study like this where there is no way to control the myriad of other variables that could have been influential in weight loss or gain over that period of time, it is a leap to make such a claim.

In addition, the comparison group for the CPAP users was the "Sham CPAP" group -- a group which does not represent any real segment of the population, unless by "Sham CPAP" they simply are describing a group of people who did not use CPAP at all.

In any case, the bottom line: So what ?! In health research statistically significant does not always translate into clinically or even practically significant or meaningful. Even if more studies are done that support the weight gain claim, would our doctors be suggesting we discontinue our life-saving therapy to reduce the risk of gaining a few pounds?

RestedRebel

Post by RestedRebel » Thu Oct 24, 2013 1:16 pm

BlackSpinner wrote:Sleeping well aids digestion, which means the food you eat is processed more and stored in fat.
Normally this is not a problem because as you sleep better you get off the couch and do more things so that most people begin to lose weight instead.
I found myself with more energy, enough to start exercising again and working on the weight I put on when I had no energy. Since December when I first started using CPAP therapy, I've lost almost 100 pounds. Had I not been on CPAP therapy, there's the possibility I'd be dead or 100 pounds heavier. For me, it's CPAP all the way!