Review of Quattro AIR

General Discussion on any topic relating to CPAP and/or Sleep Apnea.
DoriC

Review of Quattro AIR

Post by DoriC » Fri Nov 01, 2013 10:33 am

Starting a new thread as I first posted this in non-related thread. It's too soon to give a real review but we only used the Air one night(Wed) and it seemed to fit well but with leaks all night close to the red line. It's hard to feel for leaks because of the vents coming out at the elbow but it's very quiet. I'm hoping I can lower the leak rate with some adjustments. His AHI was 1.3 with no mask marks. He seemed a little sleepy today. It was suggested that we use a large size rather than a medium because the Air seems to run small and it seemed true and fit very well from nose bridge to chin. I really love this mask, it's much lighter than the Q or UM and the cushion seems to adhere better. [quote="DoriC"]

Last night leaks were better on Air and he slept longer but I think I've uncovered a problem which needs to be solved. Because the vents are in the elbow and Mike sleeps on his sides, the vents sometimes press into his bed pillow and seems to block the vents, then he kind of "snorts" and repositions his head (at least when I was watching). That worries me. I'm going to detach his hose hanger tonight and see if it's any better with the hose hanging down. This morning he seems sleepy and a bit "off" but his AHI was 1.1 for second night, flat FL and Leaks well under the red line, AHI never that low with his Quattro FF or UMFF, so now I'm confused but still hopeful, I really like this mask but I don't want to harm Mike:?

"Do or Do Not-There Is No Try"-"Yoda"
"We are what we repeatedly do,so excellence
is not an act but a habit"-"Aristotle"
DEAR HUBBY BEGAN CPAP 9/2/08

icipher

Re: Review of Quattro AIR

Post by icipher » Fri Nov 01, 2013 11:08 am

I have quattro air that i got with my study. The mask doesn't fit my face well and i get a lot of leaks. I use the older quattro which is almost perfect.

teachcsg

Post by teachcsg » Fri Nov 01, 2013 11:31 am

Thanks for the review Dori. We have not used the Air yet where I work but its good to read the good and the bad reviews to be informed.
Cesar Garza, RRT
Registred Respiratory Therapist
http://www.lastminuteceus.com

jamiswolf

Post by jamiswolf » Fri Nov 01, 2013 12:58 pm

icipher wrote:I have quattro air that i got with my study. The mask doesn't fit my face well and i get a lot of leaks. I use the older quattro which is almost perfect.
At this point, this is my position too.

Dori, the vent on the "Air" blows out of both sides so I really don't feel that there's any danger there. Glad you aren't getting the riding up problem with Mike. Perhaps the better fit with him, then with me. Large is barely big enough. I do like that there's no bridge-of-nose issue, but if I can't wear the mask because of leaks...then nothing gained.

Still thinking on the problems. And I guess Dave is too busy on the Homeless thread to respond to my thread. He's like my irritating Uncle Ernie...shows up when he wants and is rarely of any use.
Take care,
Jamis

Denial Dave

Post by Denial Dave » Fri Nov 01, 2013 1:21 pm

I got the Medium size Quattro Air right after it came out.... Loved the feel and fit & leak levels were pretty good, but I had way too many uncontrollable awakening face farts near the bridge of my nose.

I then ordered the Large size and experienced the same thing....

I suspect that the narrow profile of the Quattro Air is the issue...

my research in the Resmed sizing data seems to indicate that the Air is much narrower in width than the standard Quattro. As best I can tell the only thing that changes between the medium size and the large is the overall length.

DENIAL Dave

if you don't know where you are going... any road will take you there.... George Harrison

jamiswolf

Post by jamiswolf » Fri Nov 01, 2013 1:35 pm

Denial Dave wrote: I suspect that the narrow profile of the Quattro Air is the issue...
I hadn't considered that until you mentioned it...but I do have issues with lower mask straps on my cheeks which also would relate to width. Not a problem with the original Quattro.
J

DoriC

Post by DoriC » Fri Nov 01, 2013 6:43 pm

jamiswolf wrote:
icipher wrote:I have quattro air that i got with my study. The mask doesn't fit my face well and i get a lot of leaks. I use the older quattro which is almost perfect.
At this point, this is my position too.

Dori, the vent on the "Air" blows out of both sides so I really don't feel that there's any danger there. Glad you aren't getting the riding up problem with Mike. Perhaps the better fit with him, then with me. Large is barely big enough. I do like that there's no bridge-of-nose issue, but if I can't wear the mask because of leaks...then nothing gained.

Still thinking on the problems. And I guess Dave is too busy on the Homeless thread to respond to my thread. He's like my irritating Uncle Ernie...shows up when he wants and is rarely of any use.
Take care,
Jamis
Dave,The AIR is narrower than the Q so how might that pose a problem as long as it covers the whole area?

Jamis, I hope Dave doesn't read your post or there goes my whole thread down the drain!!

jamiswolf

Post by jamiswolf » Fri Nov 01, 2013 7:05 pm

Dori wrote: Jamis, I hope Dave doesn't read your post or there goes my whole thread down the drain!!
What? You don't appreciate 20 pages of insults on your thread? Doesn't look like it'll come to that.

I got that hint from Mohns and then Sir Noddinoff added the suggestion of using a velcro bicycle trouser band under the chin to prevent the Air and FX from riding up. That seems to be my biggest issue. Otherwise I like the way it fits on the bridge of my nose and with just enough strap tightening to stop leaks...it might work for me.
Take care,
Jamis

DoriC

Post by DoriC » Fri Nov 01, 2013 8:53 pm

Too bad they don't make it in XL, you probably just need that 1/2 inch or so longer. Hope the velcro strap works.

jamiswolf

Post by jamiswolf » Fri Nov 01, 2013 9:02 pm

DoriC wrote:Too bad they don't make it in XL, you probably just need that 1/2 inch or so longer. Hope the velcro strap works.
Thanks Dori...
You're right, 1/2" would make a lot of difference. It tucks just under my lower lip so any riding up causes leaks. Frustrating and I'll sleep with my regular Quattro till I try out the chine strap trick. Seems like it could work.
J

Denial Dave

Post by Denial Dave » Sat Nov 02, 2013 5:38 am

I'm not sure the additonal length would have helped my issue with trumpet sounds coming out near the bridge of my nose

I also had a minor an issue with the width of it.... even with the large, it felt like it was forcing me to pucker up my cheeks and lips.

Resmed made a nice mask, but unfortunately it wasn't nice to me

if you don't know where you are going... any road will take you there.... George Harrison

kbobtn

Post by kbobtn » Sat Nov 02, 2013 8:04 am

I've been using the Air for about 6 weeks and really like the (lack of) weight and the improved venting. I sleep predominantly on my side, too, but have never had problems with blocking the vent. I sleep better knowing I won't be blowing my wife away if I'm facing her way. I have also added a below the chin strap to prevent ride-up, and was getting a lot of leaks along the sides of my nose which I attributed to my big nose. I have recently started using a Pad a Cheek liner with an additional layer of microfleece between the liner and mask cut in a U shape over the bridge of the nose and down the sides. This has tamed the leaks quite a bit.

Sir NoddinOff

Post by Sir NoddinOff » Sat Nov 02, 2013 8:59 am

Once you get the riding up issue solved you may find that silicone blackout goggles are efficient for keeping leaks out of your eyes, which I can't tolerate in the slightest. Once the lightest puff of air hits my eyelashes, game over. They are perfect for keeping out the morning light, needless to say. I like these Onyix blackout google by EyeEco, tho they aren't cheap.

http://www.dryeyeshop.com/onyix-p327.aspx

Note: These goggles are also for people with dry eye conditions, however I found they were a little to good at trapping in moisture so I used a notebook paper hole-punch to put two holes in the corners furthest away from my nose. Works great now. NOTE: Some people with small faces say this does fit them.

LATER NOTE: Hmmm. Looking at the Air mask on the mannequin at the CPAP.com site, it looks like a tight fit getting the goggles thru the forehead brace and nosepiece space. Might want to ask about return policies in case it just doesn't work out.

Last edited by Sir NoddinOff on Tue Nov 05, 2013 11:23 am, edited 1 time in total.
I like my ResMed AirFit F10 FFM - reasonably low leaks for my ASV therapy. I'm currently using a PR S1 AutoSV 960P Advanced. I also keep a ResMed S9 Adapt as backup. I use a heated Hibernite hose. Still rockin' with Win 7 by using GWX to stop Win 10.

jamiswolf

Post by jamiswolf » Sat Nov 02, 2013 9:22 am

Denial Dave wrote:I'm not sure the additonal length would have helped my issue with trumpet sounds coming out near the bridge of my nose

I also had a minor an issue with the width of it.... even with the large, it felt like it was forcing me to pucker up my cheeks and lips.

Resmed made a nice mask, but unfortunately it wasn't nice to me
Hi all! Dave, I was wondering if you tried cushion liner's for the fart problem. Seems like that may have helped. Since starting with the Tee shirt gaskets a year ago...I can't use a mask without one.

Dori, you're getting some excellent hints here. Sir Noddinoff...thanks for the bike strap idea. Might pick one up today.
Jamis

Sir NoddinOff

Post by Sir NoddinOff » Sat Nov 02, 2013 9:35 am

jamiswolf wrote: Sir Noddinoff...thanks for the bike strap idea. Might pick one up today.
Jamis
You're welcome. I was at my local bike shop yesterday and noted that some of the straps have fairly rough nylon material. I'd try to find something softer, which the elastic ones tend to be. Also some models buckle back on themselves, which helps keep them secure on your cuff... however the plastic buckle might prove uncomfortable under one's chin. REI and Performance and other such online outdoor mega-suppliers have a very wide selection, so it may be profitable to check the web too.

Last edited by Sir NoddinOff on Sat Nov 02, 2013 5:32 pm, edited 1 time in total.
I like my ResMed AirFit F10 FFM - reasonably low leaks for my ASV therapy. I'm currently using a PR S1 AutoSV 960P Advanced. I also keep a ResMed S9 Adapt as backup. I use a heated Hibernite hose. Still rockin' with Win 7 by using GWX to stop Win 10.