Get your CPAP if at all possible!

General Discussion on any topic relating to CPAP and/or Sleep Apnea.
KrisasMan

Get your CPAP if at all possible!

Post by KrisasMan » Wed Jan 08, 2014 8:08 pm

Just wanted to add to the other testimonials regarding getting your CPAP when you have surgery. I slipped in the Walmart parking lot a few weeks back and got a trimalleolar fracture in my ankle. Luckily I chose the right hospital ER and they had a orthopedic surgeon and an OR available and within 2 hrs I was in surgery to put me back together. Before they took me in I asked my wife to get my CPAP while I was in surgery. 9 screws and a plate later and I was done. When I got out I could tell my SpO2 was low and asked for my CPAP. When I was on the CPAP I maintained +95% SpO2. When I dozed off without it, I quickly dropped down to the low 90s. This was with added O2, they brought in an adapter that went between my hose and mask to add O2.

2.5 years ago I had scheduled surgery but wasn't diagnosed yet with Apnea. That recovery was quite different. I constantly set off the SpO2 monitor alarm, waking up with the distinct feeling 'I must breathe'! My recovery dragged on and I was still in rough shape when I went home.

The narcotics you get for pain really mess with your AHI, if you don't have your CPAP (and possibly added O2) your recovery will be greatly affected.

If your surgery is planned, bring your machine and mask, the hospitals always prefer it if you bring your own. If it is unplanned like mine, send someone to get it!

Sir NoddinOff

Re: Get your CPAP if at all possible!

Post by Sir NoddinOff » Sat Jan 11, 2014 2:24 pm

KrisasMan wrote: 2.5 years ago I had scheduled surgery but wasn't diagnosed yet with Apnea. That recovery was quite different. I constantly set off the SpO2 monitor alarm, waking up with the distinct feeling 'I must breathe'! My recovery dragged on and I was still in rough shape when I went home.

The narcotics you get for pain really mess with your AHI, if you don't have your CPAP (and possibly added O2) your recovery will be greatly affected.

If your surgery is planned, bring your machine and mask, the hospitals always prefer it if you bring your own. If it is unplanned like mine, send someone to get it!
You made some important points, KrisasMan. Thanks for bringing up the topic.

I like my ResMed AirFit F10 FFM - reasonably low leaks for my ASV therapy. I'm currently using a PR S1 AutoSV 960P Advanced. I also keep a ResMed S9 Adapt as backup. I use a heated Hibernite hose. Still rockin' with Win 7 by using GWX to stop Win 10.

SleepWellCPAP

Re: Get your CPAP if at all possible!

Post by SleepWellCPAP » Sat Jan 11, 2014 2:42 pm

Here are a few good links for anyone to read who is debating bringing their equipment to the hospital.

Patients with OSA are at higher risk of postoperative hypoxemia, ICU transfers, and longer hospital stay.
http://journal.publications.chestnet.or ... 9072&rss=1

Obstructive sleep apnea syndrome and postoperative complications
http://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pubmed/20956751

Automated notification of suspected obstructive sleep apnea patients to the perioperative respiratory therapist: a pilot study.
http://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pubmed/20406508

Thanks for posting!
Jim Swearingen
Author of the book Sleep Well & Feel Great with CPAP, a definitive guide
For a free copy inquire with your local county librarian
CPAPtalk featured - Also available through Barnes & Noble Booksellers