One week on cpap and aggravated

General Discussion on any topic relating to CPAP and/or Sleep Apnea.
cherokee74

One week on cpap and aggravated

Post by cherokee74 » Wed Jan 22, 2014 11:17 am

Recently diagnosed with moderate sleep apnea after being diagnosed with afib. Last night marks one week of use. First mask was a nose mask that was too big and left three huge sores on left side of my nose. Exchanged yesterday for new mask, this too is a nose mask but all silicone no plastic or forehead bar, woke up with huge sore now on right side of nose. I look like I went a couple rounds with UFC fighter. The supply rep said next try would be a nasal pillow, but I use that at my sleep study and woke with two huge sores on my nostrils. Is there anything I can use under the mask to cushion my poor nose? Second problem been waking up in middle of night with pain on right side rib area that goes around to my back. It goes away once I get up and take off mask. I read a article that said it is more than likely muscle pain from breathing against the machine and will get better. Anyone else experience this as well?
Thanking you in advance!
Thanking you in advance! :)

dae3dae3

Re: One week on cpap and aggravated

Post by dae3dae3 » Wed Jan 22, 2014 11:40 am

I did have the muscle soreness after I started. I got it again when my pressure went up a year or two later. Its no different than soreness you would get if you started lifting weights for the first time. With that said. [disclaimer]If you're having chest pains make sure you talk to your doctor to make sure they don't have any concerns.[/disclaimer]

If you're getting soars from one night with a mask it sounds like you might be really cranking them down to prevent leaks. If the mask is the proper size it shouldn't have to be tight at all to seal properly. I did go through three or four masks in my first couple months before I settled on what I use now so don't think you're being unusual for taking a while to find what works for you. Look around at all the different sizes and shapes of peoples faces you see every day. Do you think one type or style of mask would work for everyone?

cherokee74

Post by cherokee74 » Wed Jan 22, 2014 12:06 pm

Thank you. No chest pain at all its more on my side and around my back. It quits once I get up and take off cpap and start to move around. It's hard to tell just yet if this new mask will be the one as I believe the last mask was the cause of the sores starting on the other side of my nose. Good news is the sores on the right side look a lot better today. I am having a radio frequency heart ablation done Feb. 7th for the afib and just don't want to deal with more issues.
Thanking you in advance! :)

OldSarge

Post by OldSarge » Wed Jan 22, 2014 12:47 pm

HI
I'm just getting thru my first three months with Cpap therapy. I was issued a ResMed S9 with the Resmed Quattro Mirage Full Face Mask. I'm told it is one of the most successful masks the technician at the VA has found.
My pressure requirements are quite high and I found that the mask was leaving a sore on the upper bridge of my nose. I found myself constantly adjusting the mask to prevent leakage. It is a great mask, but hard for me to adjust correctly I guess.

In month 2, the VA technician where I am being treated issued me a nose pad called a Gecko that is made by ResMed for just such a problem. It fits over the top of your nose and down the side of eack nostril. You can see it on the ResMed website.
It allowed me the time to clear up the sore, But I realized that I also had to be more proactive in setting the mask correctly. I have been more successful in doing so and the sore has gone away. I did not want to use the Gecko long term as it also is very thick and makes sealing against high pressures a lot more difficult.

When I was in last week I was having more problems with mask leaks and he issued me a Respronics Amara Gel mask. It is smaller and seems to overcome the high pressure leaks I was having due to a respiratory virus blocking my nasal area. The silicone facing of the ResMed mask is pretty soft and the pressures were litteraly "blowing" the membrane out near my mouth and nose.
The new Amara is working pretty well.It is slightly smaller and has a gel material that allows some greater control and sealing for me. Hopefully this will solve the problem with leakage. It is made a little different and although is does not have the adjustments offered by the ResMed Quattro, it is working for me. There is no way the hard plastic support can come in contact with my nose even though the mask is smaller overall.

I have been assured that is takes some time to get used to the therapy and adjust to the hardware. I am very gratefull I have a very good respiratory technician who is proactive in getting solutions. That Gecko might be of some benefit to you until you find a mask that makes everything easier.

Good luck - don't get too frustrated.

locust78

Post by locust78 » Thu Jan 23, 2014 7:23 am

There are so many variables to work out during the first weeks of CPAP that it can be intimidating; but don't give up! For me it took at least 6 months before I was able to go a full night with the mask on, and several more weeks before everything was 'perfect'. It will take some patience, but in the end it will be worth the effort.

Lansinoh is used by many of us on the board, to soothe, prevent sores & promote a good seal.

Becky at RemZzzs

Post by Becky at RemZzzs » Thu Jan 23, 2014 3:57 pm

cherokee74 wrote:Recently diagnosed with moderate sleep apnea after being diagnosed with afib. Last night marks one week of use. First mask was a nose mask that was too big and left three huge sores on left side of my nose. Exchanged yesterday for new mask, this too is a nose mask but all silicone no plastic or forehead bar, woke up with huge sore now on right side of nose. I look like I went a couple rounds with UFC fighter. The supply rep said next try would be a nasal pillow, but I use that at my sleep study and woke with two huge sores on my nostrils. Is there anything I can use under the mask to cushion my poor nose? Second problem been waking up in middle of night with pain on right side rib area that goes around to my back. It goes away once I get up and take off mask. I read a article that said it is more than likely muscle pain from breathing against the machine and will get better. Anyone else experience this as well?
Thanking you in advance!
Hi, cherokee74!

My name is Becky. I work for the company that manufactures the patented RemZzzs CPAP Mask Liners. I try not to bother too many people on here, but your subject grabbed me. I think that I might be able to help, so I wanted to speak up.

RemZzzs CPAP Mask Liners are made out of 100% cotton. They go in-between your mask and your face. They act as both a gasket and a barrier to help stop leaks, prevent the mask from touching your face and absorb any excess facial moisture and oils. Since RemZzzs liners stop the leaks, you can greatly reduce the amount of tension that you have to put on your headgear, which makes it much, much more comfortable for you to wear your mask and helps to prevent pressure sores on your face and your nose. Your poor nose is the least protected of all of the areas on your face. There isn't anything in-between your skin and your bone to disperse/absorb any of the pressure that is created by the amount of tension from your headgear.

I would love to send you a complimentary 6 day sample for you to try out without any obligation or cost to you. If you are interested, please PM me. If not, that's ok. I completely understand.
I hope that you will be able to find a solution to save you anymore agony from on your nose and face.
Take care and good luck!

~Becky at RemZzzs
Becky Bennett
RemZzzs Personal Customer Care Rep & Social Media Consultant
Naturs Design, Inc - the makers of RemZzzs

RemZzzs... Let yourself dream again
Prouldy Made in the USA