NEWBIES: FINALLY LEARNING NOT TO VOTE ON ANCIENT POLLS!?!

General Discussion on any topic relating to CPAP and/or Sleep Apnea.
Sir NoddinOff

NEWBIES: FINALLY LEARNING NOT TO VOTE ON ANCIENT POLLS!?!

Post by Sir NoddinOff » Sun Feb 02, 2014 11:35 am

Today there were a half a dozen of those old polls resurrected by our official forum troll (Sunday always seems the worst). I was happy to see the newbies were not voting on the polls and also not replying to the polls... as a result the old polls seem to be quickly sliding down/off the first page and into obscurity. Of course it only takes one newbie to vote and back it pops to the top. DO YOU THINK WE'VE FINALLY GOTTEN THRU TO THE NEWBIES ABOUT THIS NOXIOUS PRANK:?:

READ THE DATES FOLKS... ALWAYS READ THE DATES BEFORE YOU POLL

Last edited by Sir NoddinOff on Sun Feb 02, 2014 11:56 am, edited 1 time in total.
I like my ResMed AirFit F10 FFM - reasonably low leaks for my ASV therapy. I'm currently using a PR S1 AutoSV 960P Advanced. I also keep a ResMed S9 Adapt as backup. I use a heated Hibernite hose. Still rockin' with Win 7 by using GWX to stop Win 10.

chunkyfrog
Location: Nebraska--I am sworn to keep the secret of this paradise.

Re: NEWBIES: FINALLY LEARNING NOT TO VOTE ON ANCIENT POLLS!?!

Post by chunkyfrog » Sun Feb 02, 2014 11:55 am

You have to be registered and signed in to vote; you can only vote once per poll.
Somebody (a member) is dredging up very old polls--hooray for the newbies who do not take the bait.

Sir NoddinOff

Post by Sir NoddinOff » Sun Feb 02, 2014 12:01 pm

chunkyfrog wrote:You have to be registered and signed in to vote; you can only vote once per poll.
Somebody (a member) is dredging up very old polls--hooray for the newbies who do not take the bait.
That's why I just used the generic term 'newbies'. You are correct about 'guests' who aren't registered. BTW, CF... didn't you (or was it RobySue) figure out who the person was that is doing this? I remember going to their member page and reading some of their posts. Pretty weird stuff. Plus they never denied dredging up the ancient polls, as I recall.

I like my ResMed AirFit F10 FFM - reasonably low leaks for my ASV therapy. I'm currently using a PR S1 AutoSV 960P Advanced. I also keep a ResMed S9 Adapt as backup. I use a heated Hibernite hose. Still rockin' with Win 7 by using GWX to stop Win 10.

chunkyfrog

Post by chunkyfrog » Sun Feb 02, 2014 12:29 pm

Still no proof; but the mental disarray is consistent with my suspicions.

Sir NoddinOff

Post by Sir NoddinOff » Sun Feb 02, 2014 2:08 pm

chunkyfrog wrote:Still no proof; but the mental disarray is consistent with my suspicions.
Come on, CF... give us the names and no one will get hurt. I've got some pitchforks, burning torches and a a bucket of hot tar, plus a bag of feathers ready in my back yard. Just kiddin'. This twisted person is too sad to persecute... it's like hitting a puppy that just peed on the floor... although there is a LOT OF PEE on the floor lately. About ankle deep, I'd guess

Stormynights

Post by Stormynights » Sun Feb 02, 2014 2:34 pm

chunkyfrog wrote:Still no proof; but the mental disarray is consistent with my suspicions.
I am nosey. Who do you suspect?

xyz

Post by xyz » Sun Feb 02, 2014 3:55 pm

> You have to be registered and signed in to vote;
> you can only vote once per poll.

I didn't know that. Makes sense, I just never thought about it. Those are good policies.

It would take so little effort from cpap.com to fix this problem.

All they would have to do is "create a post" by the voter, adding the name of the voter with one word in the body of the post: "voted".

chunkyfrog

Post by chunkyfrog » Sun Feb 02, 2014 4:32 pm

There was one person, then another, now I'm not sure enough to "out" anyone in particular.
The individuals under my radar have been around for quite some time.
I suspect a conspiracy; or one person with access to multiple URL's.

nanwilson

Post by nanwilson » Sun Feb 02, 2014 4:45 pm

The only problem with us complaining about the old polls is that this guy gets his jollies by getting the attention and bugging the "P" out of us. We want the newbies to not respond, but if we keep complaining we are giving this guy the attention he wants
"No one" respond to a poll and if "we all" stop commenting, this guy will slide off the page into a nice muddy puddle.
Started cpap in 2010.. still at it with great results.

Sir NoddinOff

Post by Sir NoddinOff » Sun Feb 02, 2014 4:59 pm

xyz wrote: It would take so little effort from cpap.com to fix this problem. All they would have to do is "create a post" by the voter, adding the name of the voter with one word in the body of the post: "voted".
Probably not that easy. The free source for this forum has been around for a number of years ( https://www.phpbb.com/) and essentially 'comes in a box, ie. ready to run'. It's generally not easy or advisable for non-expert programmers to get under the hood and tinker, plus I suspect not cheap either. Maybe this is part of the reason the Goodmans (our generous hosts) leave us mostly to our own devices I'm not a programming expert but maybe somebody else who is an expert could possibly wade into this issue of forum design, especially adding restrictions.

Sir NoddinOff

Post by Sir NoddinOff » Sun Feb 02, 2014 5:03 pm

nanwilson wrote: We want the newbies to not respond, but if we keep complaining we are giving this guy the attention he wants "No one" respond to a poll and if "we all" stop commenting, this guy will slide off the page into a nice muddy puddle.
The way I see it Nan is like this: We're damned if we do and damned if we don't. The horns of a dilemma, if you'll pardon me running several crusty cliches into the ground.... whoops, there was another one

Sludge

Post by Sludge » Sun Feb 02, 2014 5:10 pm

Removing old posts from view is easily accomplished by this workaround:
Sludge wrote:In an attempt to get two birds stoned (bringing an "old" thread to the top, and an option not to view them):

First, don't "Reply" to them. While voting in a poll and replying to the thread will both bring a thread to the top, the thread behaves differently.

Second, change the settings in User Control Panel > Board Preferences > Edit Display Options > Display Topics from Previous Days > (select) One Day (or 7 will probably work, depending on when the last response was).

Alternatively, the Display can be changed for each session (sign-on) by making these changes at the bottom of the first page.
You Kids Have Fun!!

Denial Dave

Post by Denial Dave » Sun Feb 02, 2014 6:21 pm

I agree with nan. Complaining about it is giving the person attention. I suggest we ignore the revised polls .

if you don't know where you are going... any road will take you there.... George Harrison

Sludge

Post by Sludge » Sun Feb 02, 2014 6:25 pm

You Kids Have Fun!!

ems

Post by ems » Sun Feb 02, 2014 7:27 pm

Yup... he is so transparent. He'll give up soon.
If only the folks with sawdust for brains were as sweet and obliging and innocent as The Scarecrow! ~a friend~