Have postponed 3/6 surgery

General Discussion on any topic relating to CPAP and/or Sleep Apnea.
49er

Have postponed 3/6 surgery

Post by 49er » Thu Feb 27, 2014 9:44 am

As an FYI, since I had mentioned I was having surgery on 3/6 to have a septoplasty and turnbinate reduction, I wanted to let this board know I had postponed it for various reasons. I will keep you all updated.

But I did want to mention that if you have any doubts for any reason, postpone it no matter how late you are in the game unless it is an emergency. Don't want to be saying should have, would have, could have.

49er

PS - If anyone want more details, feel free to PM me.

teleute

Re: Have postponed 3/6 surgery

Post by teleute » Thu Feb 27, 2014 10:41 am

Hope everything is okay!

Additional Comments: Pressure 10.5-14

49er

Post by 49er » Thu Feb 27, 2014 11:41 am

teleute wrote:Hope everything is okay!
Thanks Teleute!

For various reasons, I had come concerns about the person doing the surgery that just were not going away.

49er

DoriC

Post by DoriC » Thu Feb 27, 2014 6:45 pm

I'm glad you're listening to your intuition, it's usually the right way to go. Wish you well and keep us posted.

"Do or Do Not-There Is No Try"-"Yoda"
"We are what we repeatedly do,so excellence
is not an act but a habit"-"Aristotle"
DEAR HUBBY BEGAN CPAP 9/2/08

49er

Post by 49er » Thu Feb 27, 2014 7:13 pm

DoriC wrote:I'm glad you're listening to your intuition, it's usually the right way to go. Wish you well and keep us posted.
Thanks Dori, I will definitely keep everyone posted.

49er

Stormynights

Post by Stormynights » Fri Feb 28, 2014 12:45 am

Wishing you the best also.

letsride

Post by letsride » Fri Feb 28, 2014 1:46 am

When my tickler is going off it is definitely time to take a step back.

Sound like your tickler was sounding off!

sickwithapnea17

Post by sickwithapnea17 » Fri Feb 28, 2014 3:27 am

I was going to have this done but the terrible hospital cancelled on me. now I'm looking for a new surgeon, I've heard tonsilectomy can reduce your pressure and maybe AHI
18/14 bipap st

archangle

Post by archangle » Fri Feb 28, 2014 3:41 am

sickwithapnea17 wrote:I was going to have this done but the terrible hospital cancelled on me. now I'm looking for a new surgeon, I've heard tonsilectomy can reduce your pressure and maybe AHI
For some people, the tonsils partially block the airway. Removing them may help these people. For many people, removing the tonsils will have no effect on apnea.

We're beginning to figure out the tonsils do serve at least some purpose in our immune system, so they should not be removed unless there's a good reason to do so.

Please enter your equipment in your profile so we can help you.
Click here for information on the most common alternative to CPAP.
If it's midnight and a DME tells you it's dark outside, go and check for yourself.

Useful Links.

49er

Post by 49er » Fri Feb 28, 2014 5:25 am

Stormynights wrote:Wishing you the best also.
Thanks Stormynights

Letsride -
When my tickler is going off it is definitely time to take a step back.

Sound like your tickler was sounding off!
It definitely was Letsride. Initially, the tickler was going off at a moderate volume that I tried to ignore. Then when something occurred that caused a loud piercing sound, that was my cue to take a step back.

49er

sickwithapnea17

Post by sickwithapnea17 » Sat Mar 29, 2014 2:09 am

I don't understand the studies say that tonsilectomy in children improves sleep apnea, but not in adults. how can that be the case?
what purpose do tonsils serve? my one ENT surgeon told me they don't have a purpose.
18/14 bipap st

alpha752

Post by alpha752 » Sat Mar 29, 2014 2:49 am

FWIW I had my tonsils, adenoids, and uvula removed and the UPPP procedure for sleep apnea in 2010. I felt better initially, but after gaining some weight my apnea is actually worse then it was before the surgery.

49er

Post by 49er » Sat Mar 29, 2014 3:00 am

alpha752 wrote:FWIW I had my tonsils, adenoids, and uvula removed and the UPPP procedure for sleep apnea in 2010. I felt better initially, but after gaining some weight my apnea is actually worse then it was before the surgery.
I am so sorry to hear that alpha752. Unfortunately, your story is not uncommon.

Since you responded to this thread, I wanted to update people on my situation. I was very happy with the ENT I switched to and surgery was scheduled on 4/7.

But because of some risk factors, he has decided that it would be preferable for me to have it at a hospital and be monitored for 23 hours. Because he doesn't have privileges there, I was referred to his partner, who seems to be as highly regarded as he is. Obviously, my move to switch providers was a home run.

49er

Sir NoddinOff

Post by Sir NoddinOff » Sat Mar 29, 2014 8:23 am

I hope it all works out well with your new team, 49er. I had turbinate reduction, plus a repaired perforated septum done decades ago, however the procedures were very primitive back then... I hear that the science and technique have greatly improved. It did help with my snoring for awhile but I think my apnea problems still lurked in the background. Obviously this was before I started CPAP.

I like my ResMed AirFit F10 FFM - reasonably low leaks for my ASV therapy. I'm currently using a PR S1 AutoSV 960P Advanced. I also keep a ResMed S9 Adapt as backup. I use a heated Hibernite hose. Still rockin' with Win 7 by using GWX to stop Win 10.

49er

Post by 49er » Sat Mar 29, 2014 9:11 am

Sir NoddinOff wrote:I hope it all works out well with your new team, 49er. I had turbinate reduction, plus a repaired perforated septum done decades ago, however the procedures were very primitive back then... I hear that the science and technique have greatly improved. It did help with my snoring for awhile but I think my apnea problems still lurked in the background. Obviously this was before I started CPAP.
Thanks SNO. If I recall correctly, you had the evil packing and the fun that goes with that.

Unless, there was some unusual circumstance, I would be quite surprise if any ENT used packing for this type of surgery currently. But you never never know.

Hopefully, the new ENT will only keep the splints in for 3 days like the previous one was going to. If not, I will just have to deal with it.

49er