Has anyone ever used their cpap on a charter bus?

General Discussion on any topic relating to CPAP and/or Sleep Apnea.
YogaKitty

Has anyone ever used their cpap on a charter bus?

Post by YogaKitty » Fri Mar 07, 2014 5:41 pm

I leave tomorrow after noon on a 16 hour charter bus trip. I'm one of the chaperones for my son's High School Band trip to march at Disney World. It's fun, but the trip is long! I went two years ago, but that was before cpap.

I just found out today that there are standard 110 volt plugins at every seat. Do you think I could plug in my cpap? I have an Icon Auto for travel. I was resigned to going without, but this makes me wonder...

Any tips or ideas?

chunkyfrog
Location: Nebraska--I am sworn to keep the secret of this paradise.

Re: Has anyone ever used their cpap on a charter bus?

Post by chunkyfrog » Fri Mar 07, 2014 7:04 pm

Check with the company that makes the bus; and ask at what amperage the outlets are rated.
You may need to forgo the humidifier during transport--depending on power.

TangledHose

Post by TangledHose » Fri Mar 07, 2014 7:48 pm

If you take your icon there is a low power setting in the menu which reduces the power draw by not heating the humidifier ....i forget the setting name but i will look it up and post it back here in a couple minutes. You should use that setting and dont put any water in the tub...bus ride would slosh water anyway and you dont want any water slosh to reck the cpap

Link to Sleepyhead:
http://sleepfiles.com/SH2/

TangledHose

Post by TangledHose » Fri Mar 07, 2014 7:57 pm

The setting is called flight mode....it reduces the power draw to 75W by reducing the power to heat plate for humidifier. It is in the settings menu (little wrench symbol) and is represented by the ,little airplane symbol. Push the center button to get the check mark to engage flight mode.

Link to Sleepyhead:
http://sleepfiles.com/SH2/

YogaKitty

Post by YogaKitty » Fri Mar 07, 2014 10:08 pm

Thanks for the tips! I'm not sure if I will try it or not. good to know about the airplane mode. I haven't used this machine much, so didn't know about that!
I also have used a night guard for twelve years.

kwikwater

Post by kwikwater » Sat Mar 08, 2014 3:25 pm

I use mine when traveling on Amtrak. I'm not sure if it's needed, as our apnea is decreased while in a seated position. For me, it's just part of going to sleep. Putting on the mask is part of my comfort zone. I don't know that I sleep any better, but I feel like it's teh right thing to do. I usually let the conductor know, in case they've never seen CPAP in action. They've already seen it, the 2 times I've asked!!

Additional Comments: PulseOx CMS-50D+, Papcap, SleepyHead