What Do You Think of BMI?

General Discussion on any topic relating to CPAP and/or Sleep Apnea.
Joe_0206

What Do You Think of BMI?

Post by Joe_0206 » Sun Mar 23, 2014 10:28 pm

Hello again fellow x-PAPers,

In my opinion the BMI is wrong. I think the idea is sound; it’s the numbers that drive me nuts. Am I overweight? Yes. I'm a 55 year old male, weight 211 at 5’8”. But according to the BMI, to be healthy I need to lose close to 100 lbs. I can see 20 – 30 lbs., but 100? That’s crazy.
Defined by Wikipedia:
  • The body mass index (BMI), or Quetelet index, is a measure for human body shape based on an individual's mass and height.

Devised between 1830 and 1850 by the Belgian polymath Adolphe Quetelet during the course of developing "social physics", it is defined as the individual's body mass divided by the square of their height – with the value universally being given in units of kg/m2.
So, should a 160+ year old method of calculating someone’s healthy weight still be relevant today?

All the doctors believe in it. My health insurance believes in it. I guess I’ll have to believe in it too. Exercise, low carbs, no sugar, blah blah blah.

Are any of you trying methods of weight loss that seem to work? What about replacing a meal with Slim Fast or Ensure?

What works for you?

Joe

--------------------
I work in medical insurance - not sales. If you have code or claim questions, maybe I can help. PM me if you like.

Nozzelnut

Re: What Do You Think of BMI?

Post by Nozzelnut » Sun Mar 23, 2014 11:17 pm

Eat less and move more. That's really the only thing that helps me. Portion control is my biggest problem at meal time.

BMI doesn't take into account muscle mass at all; so I don't put too much into the results. ie a body builder that weighs 250 lbs and is 6 feet tall still has a BMI of 35.

Joe_0206

Post by Joe_0206 » Sun Mar 23, 2014 11:33 pm

Thanks Noz. Yep that portion control is a big one for me and my wife. She was recently diagnosed with Diabetes (on the pill, not insulin). I have vowed to follow her change in diet too.

I have no excuse for not moving more. My company has its own gym. And starting next month free access to a new fitness center all in the same building.

No excuses! Easier said than done.

Joe

--------------------
I work in medical insurance - not sales. If you have code or claim questions, maybe I can help. PM me if you like.

djhall

Post by djhall » Sun Mar 23, 2014 11:41 pm

Joe_0206 wrote:In my opinion the BMI is wrong. I think the idea is sound.
Honestly, I think the idea is mostly useless. If you are obese enough to be certain from nothing more than height and weight then you know it and so does everyone else. Under that range, what matters isn't weight but the proportion of bone mass, muscle mass, and fat. A 6ft / 200lb man with big bones and muscles and 5% body fat is completely different than a 6ft / 200lb man with tiny thin bones, no muscles, and gobs of fat. BMI doesn't even recognize the possibility of a difference.

digitalepiphany

Post by digitalepiphany » Sun Mar 23, 2014 11:51 pm

I'm not sure what chart you were looking at, but the upper limit of normal BMI is 24.9. That would put you at 164lbs. That would mean that you'd need to lose 47lbs. Not far off from what you said you probably need to lose. You'd be surprised at how much body fat you actually have. If you can afford a DEXA scan, get one. That will be your best indicator of how much body fat you need to lose.

https://www.nhlbi.nih.gov/guidelines/ob ... mi_tbl.htm

But, yes, BMI is outdated. The difficulty, however, is how do we update it? We're all so fat, how do we get a good baseline? For now, it's the best we have.

chunkyfrog
Location: Nebraska--I am sworn to keep the secret of this paradise.

Post by chunkyfrog » Mon Mar 24, 2014 6:19 am

Muscle mass and water content of tissues is essential to a realistic measure.

Todzo

Post by Todzo » Mon Mar 24, 2014 6:22 am

It is interesting that 20% of those with fatty liver disease are of "normal" BMI. BMI is perhaps too little information.

I agree that your “need to loose” from the BMI information is more like 50 pounds with the numbers you gave.

But really BMI is known as a very simple way to establish what looks like it may be healthy.

Of course body builders, for example, have very high BMIs but tend to be healthy as they do take good care of their bodies which is how they became both strong and heavy with muscle.

Percentage of body fat is perhaps a better measure of over all metabolic health (see: http://www.builtlean.com/2010/07/13/5-w ... ercentage/ ) but more difficult to do accurately.

I think what we all want is health and in today's world that means pretty much DIY.
May any shills trolls sockpuppets or astroturfers at cpaptalk.com be like chaff before the wind!

Joe_0206

Post by Joe_0206 » Mon Mar 24, 2014 6:28 am

digitalepiphany wrote:For now, it's the best we have.
Agreed.

I've used online versions and my employer has used the same math and we come up with the same number.

--------------------

Joe_0206

Post by Joe_0206 » Mon Mar 24, 2014 6:30 am

Doing some sort of aerobic exercise is important too.

--------------------

Sludge

Post by Sludge » Mon Mar 24, 2014 6:48 am

Joe_0206 wrote:Doing some sort of aerobic exercise is important too.
Yeah, but not as far as weight loss is concerned:

http://well.blogs.nytimes.com/2012/08/0 ... blogs&_r=0
You Kids Have Fun!!

Todzo

Post by Todzo » Mon Mar 24, 2014 6:53 am

Donnelly JE1, Smith B, Jacobsen DJ, Kirk E, Dubose K, Hyder M, Bailey B, Washburn R.
Best Pract Res Clin Gastroenterol. 2004 Dec;18(6):1009-29. The role of exercise for weight loss and maintenance.

Abstract

Exercise provides a means of increasing energy expenditure and may help adjust energy balance for weight loss and maintenance. At least 30 minutes a day of moderate intensity aerobic exercise per day is recommended for weight loss and maintenance but greater amounts appear to increase the magnitude of weight loss and maintenance. Resistance training has recently been shown to have positive effects on body composition but does not typically show significant decreases in weight. Regardless of weight loss, both aerobic exercise and resistance training have been shown to diminish risk factors for cardiovascular disease and diabetes. Since exercise is only effective if sustained, behavioural strategies such as self-monitoring, goal setting, social support, etc. are used to help individuals start and maintain exercise programs and show improved results compared to exercise programs without behavioural strategies. The available evidence indicates that exercise is an important component of weight loss and perhaps the best predictor of weight maintenance.
May any shills trolls sockpuppets or astroturfers at cpaptalk.com be like chaff before the wind!

Therapist

Post by Therapist » Mon Mar 24, 2014 7:10 am

should a 160+ year old method of calculating someone’s healthy weight still be relevant today?
Who attacks the validity of BMI? Mostly people who intend to keep on eating their unhealthy way and/or intend to remain sedentary.

If you are a successful weight lifter, OK, BMI is not for you. But go somewhere else and shut up. Don't tell the overeating couch potatoes that BMI is not a good measure. You are doing them no favors.

BMI has been around for 160 years (Has it?) because when used with a little discretion it is an excellent measure.

In the meantime look down at that pooch of a belly - there is the danger.

49er

Post by 49er » Mon Mar 24, 2014 7:42 am

Hi Joe,

I wouldn't go by BMI or any so called official standard. Instead, I would start by aiming to lose 5 pounds and then see how you feel. Chances are you will want to keep losing more weight. When you get to around 20 or 30 pounds, do a reevaluation and see if you want to lose weight or stabilize where you are at.

Even small amounts of weight loss can make all the difference in your health. Taking an all or nothing approach can be very non productive.

Best of luck.

49er
Joe_0206 wrote:Hello again fellow x-PAPers,

In my opinion the BMI is wrong. I think the idea is sound; it’s the numbers that drive me nuts. Am I overweight? Yes. I'm a 55 year old male, weight 211 at 5’8”. But according to the BMI, to be healthy I need to lose close to 100 lbs. I can see 20 – 30 lbs., but 100? That’s crazy.
Defined by Wikipedia:
  • The body mass index (BMI), or Quetelet index, is a measure for human body shape based on an individual's mass and height.

Devised between 1830 and 1850 by the Belgian polymath Adolphe Quetelet during the course of developing "social physics", it is defined as the individual's body mass divided by the square of their height – with the value universally being given in units of kg/m2.
So, should a 160+ year old method of calculating someone’s healthy weight still be relevant today?

All the doctors believe in it. My health insurance believes in it. I guess I’ll have to believe in it too. Exercise, low carbs, no sugar, blah blah blah.

Are any of you trying methods of weight loss that seem to work? What about replacing a meal with Slim Fast or Ensure?

What works for you?

Joe

Denial Dave

Post by Denial Dave » Mon Mar 24, 2014 7:51 am

Personally I think the way that BMI is calculated needs to be refined....If I'm not mistaken, some of it is based upon neck circumference.

When I was really thin & playing in numerous sports in high school & college, my neck was big due to genetics.

In the Navy, I was 5' 10" and weighed 190lbs.... but going by their calculations, I needed to lose 20 lbs.

if you don't know where you are going... any road will take you there.... George Harrison

Therapist

Post by Therapist » Mon Mar 24, 2014 8:09 am

the way that BMI is calculated needs to be refined. If I'm not mistaken, some of it is based upon neck circumference.
SMH. For God's sake, neck circumference is not a factor in BMI.