Low AHI, only hypopneas, could CPAP be worthwhile anyway?

General Discussion on any topic relating to CPAP and/or Sleep Apnea.
musculus

Re: Low AHI, only hypopneas, could CPAP be worthwhile anyway?

Post by musculus » Fri May 09, 2014 8:40 pm

how do you feel now with arousal index 18?
echo wrote:Ok i was curious so i found back my sleep study results:

33.8 arousal index
38.3 arousal + awake index

35.4 AHI
39.3 AHI Non REM sleep
5.9 AHI REM sleep

Total: 2 central apneas, 2 mixed apneas, 0 obstructive apneas, 194 hypopneas (average duration 14.6 sec), minimum desat 93%.

Sleep was 12% REM sleep and 19% SWS.

From titration study: 28 arousal index (ahi of around 10).

After 3 years on cpap:
18.0 total awake episode index (arousals?)
0 events of any kind
SPO2 ave 98%
Lots of sigma-activity / sleep spindles (edited)
19% REM & 14.5% SWS sleep

Hope that helps.

hypopniatic

Post by hypopniatic » Fri May 09, 2014 10:31 pm

Colombia wrote: I would appreciate comments from anyone else having a low Vitamin D/Serum Level count.
I actually tested my vitamin D levels about a year ago and wasn't quite in the optimal reference range (my D3 was 27.7 ug/l, the optimal range is 30-80). I went a little crazy on the vitamin D3 supplementation (taking around 15-20k IU a day) and I had gotten my levels up to 108 ug/l after two months!

I can't say I felt much different at any point. I stopped the supplements for a while and now I'm taking around 3-5k IU per day hoping it keeps me around the optimal range but probably can't be bothered to test it again to make sure.

hypopniatic

Post by hypopniatic » Sat May 10, 2014 1:15 am

wut wrote:About how many hours of sleep do you usually get per night, and are you a light sleeper?

Your situation is too familiar. I've been diagnosed with UARS and haven't yet found the machine effective. MD thinks I need very high pressures, even though AHI as measured by the machine is usually 1 or less. On APAP, my machine never went higher than 11, and on BiPAP, rarely above 17 IPAP. If I could tolerate more pressure without aerophagia, I would increase IPAP more...
I get 8 hours of sleep on average and I wake up 1-2 times a night to go to the bathroom plus a few more just for no apparent reason but go back to sleep quickly. I'm assuming I get micro arousals a lot more frequently than that as I did in the sleep study but there is no way to know as I'm not going to remember them.

I've had similar experiences with the APAP it seems, as my pressure has never gone above 12.

I've had noticable aerophagia almost every night and I'm farting a lot throughout the night and in the morning. Gonna bring that up next time with the doc. I'm guessing the aerophagia could be doing more harm to my sleep quality than the CPAP is doing good.