HELP!

General Discussion on any topic relating to CPAP and/or Sleep Apnea.
janelle14

HELP!

Post by janelle14 » Sat May 10, 2014 10:14 pm

I need help. I have a respironics PR system 1 REMstar 60 series BiPAP Auto with bi-flex. I am looking for an adapter cord for DC use so I can go camping and use a 12volt battery and I have looked on the internet and the ones listed say they are not compatible with this new machine. We camp at primitive sites with no electricity and the cabins are expensive, we also enjoy the privacy of these sites because they are not in with the RV's which is a very busy area. I am about to abort my annual camping trip, which is my sanity recharger for the year, and a pseudo family reunion. I soooo dont want to cancel. I am also being a brat not wanting change the accomadations. HELP! I have moderate apnea on my sides and severe osa on my back, I cant and wont skip the machine. Any help would be greatly appreciated, Janelle

archangle

Re: HELP!

Post by archangle » Sat May 10, 2014 10:38 pm

https://www.cpap.com/productpage/dc-pow ... hines.html

You'll also need a battery to cigarette lighter jack adapter.

Be sure your battery will power your machine for enough nights to cover your trip. What kind of battery do you have?

Please enter your equipment in your profile so we can help you.
Click here for information on the most common alternative to CPAP.
If it's midnight and a DME tells you it's dark outside, go and check for yourself.

Useful Links.

janelle 14

Post by janelle 14 » Sat May 10, 2014 10:54 pm

no battery yet, was investigation the whole process last two nights. Thought I had it all figured out and almost ordered it all but then I saw the words "not compatible"

janelle14

Post by janelle14 » Sat May 10, 2014 11:04 pm

I found the right battery for the job to cover the stay and a solr breif case battery charger to keep it charged, the only problem is the battery inverter adapter for the actual machine. They apparently are new enough that the old cord isnt compatible.

Nozzelnut

Post by Nozzelnut » Sun May 11, 2014 1:28 pm

This one doesn't work?

https://www.cpap.com/productpage/dc-pow ... hines.html

You'd also need this from the battery to the adapter cable

https://www.cpap.com/productpage/respir ... cable.html

archangle

Post by archangle » Sun May 11, 2014 3:53 pm

janelle14 wrote:I found the right battery for the job to cover the stay and a solr breif case battery charger to keep it charged, the only problem is the battery inverter adapter for the actual machine. They apparently are new enough that the old cord isnt compatible.
Be careful about depending on a solar array to keep your battery charged for CPAP. It can be done, but it's harder than many people think.

A CPAP draws enough power that you may need a fairly large solar array to keep it charged.

You don't get full power from a solar array all day long as the sun moves through the sky even on a clear sunny day. Depending on where you are, you may only get 4 hours equivalent sunshine, even if you have the panels angled at the correct angle. If the panels lie flat on the ground, you get even less. It also varies with the seasons and your latitude.

Consider cloudy days. Will your camping area be in full sun all day long? Will you be able to leave your array set up from dawn to dusk, etc.? What's the efficiency of your solar array, charge controller, and charge/discharge cycle be?

If it's midnight and a DME tells you it's dark outside, go and check for yourself.

Useful Links.

janelle 14

Post by janelle 14 » Mon May 12, 2014 1:06 am

thanks for all the good ideas. I found the cord on line today. I have the solar panel and the cords and now for the battery. Does a battery always need a battery box or if its sealed is it fine? All these things I have never had to look for or know so confusing! And wow, I hope the solar panels arent that much of a challenge! I just thought it would be better than relying on my truck battery to do all the work. We dont drive around camp that much which means it would be drained rather quickly. Thanks for pointing the solar panel issues out!

rogerkoger1

Post by rogerkoger1 » Mon May 12, 2014 1:13 am

You don't need a battery box but it could come in handy for moving around . They make them out of plastic for the boating industry.

archangle

Post by archangle » Mon May 12, 2014 3:07 am

janelle 14 wrote:thanks for all the good ideas. I found the cord on line today. I have the solar panel and the cords and now for the battery. Does a battery always need a battery box or if its sealed is it fine? All these things I have never had to look for or know so confusing! And wow, I hope the solar panels arent that much of a challenge! I just thought it would be better than relying on my truck battery to do all the work. We dont drive around camp that much which means it would be drained rather quickly. Thanks for pointing the solar panel issues out!
Even a sealed battery can leak, and battery boxes are cheap. It also gives some degree of protection for the battery. Even the sealed batteries have a vent that can vent some liquid if there's a problem, but it's fairly uncommon.

If you've got the truck, you can use a jumper cable and connect it to the battery when the truck is running if you need to charge it.

Useful Links.

janelle14

Post by janelle14 » Tue May 13, 2014 12:12 pm

Thanks! I didn't think about the direct to the battery deal either.