Plastic smoky smell

General Discussion on any topic relating to CPAP and/or Sleep Apnea.
sleepyb

Plastic smoky smell

Post by sleepyb » Sun May 18, 2014 1:29 pm

For awhile I have been smelling a chemical plastic type smell that increased to a icky smoky smell.
I though it was the machine so I tried my backup machine and the smell was less, but it was still there.
I finally figured it out. I keep the machine in a drawer by my bed. Open of course at night, but I close it during the day to keep furry friends out.
Evidently the heater on the machine is heating up the bottom of the drawer which after several hours starts out gassing causing the headache that I have
been getting in the morning as well as the smell.
The scary thing is that I have had this setup for over a year and it wasn't until I raised the humidity from 2 to 3 that I noticed it.
I wonder how many toxic fumes I inhaled during that time!

What I have done to hopefully fix the issue is I put down an old towel and put a piece of tile over the towel. The machine is on top of that. I think this should work.
I remembered reading a warning about the heater being on certain material, but I thought that these are shown on a nightstand so that should be ok.

Anyway, just wanted to warn folks about this issue.

needtosleep51

Re: Plastic smoky smell

Post by needtosleep51 » Sun May 18, 2014 2:13 pm

thanks - glad you have a sense of smell

i was using an s8 and the smell i had in my nose was like old socks each morning

chunkyfrog
Location: Nebraska--I am sworn to keep the secret of this paradise.

Post by chunkyfrog » Sun May 18, 2014 4:37 pm

I have moved the hamper to the other end of the room.

HoseCrusher

Post by HoseCrusher » Sun May 18, 2014 4:45 pm

My machine sits on a Sil-Eco silicon cookie sheet. I pre conditioned it in the oven at 350 F for 20 minutes before using it and have had no odor problems and have no concerns about the humidifier going wild and trying to burn things up.