Newbie - Help with Full Face Mask Please ---

General Discussion on any topic relating to CPAP and/or Sleep Apnea.
flyingwithoutwings

Re: Newbie - Help with Full Face Mask Please ---

Post by flyingwithoutwings » Thu Jun 12, 2014 1:05 pm

They even have them on ebay for as little as $8.09 with free shipping.
Walgreens has a similar one, adjustable, for $9.99 - no waiting.
We cannot direct the wind, but we can adjust the sails!

Luthie2006

Post by Luthie2006 » Thu Jun 12, 2014 1:11 pm

Thank you M'ohms: I ordered one on Amazon.com and expedited 2 day shipping for Saturday. Shipping was almost as much as the collar!
Thank you very much. I will try the Listernine strips too. One half on each side of the lips to close them up>? Thank you so much.

hyperlexis

Post by hyperlexis » Thu Jun 12, 2014 1:55 pm

I have gone through a bunch of FFMs and there are several excellent versions out there -- check on cpap.com and look for rankings of users as a good start. Like nasal masks it all depends on fit and, second, features.

I have had good, comfortable, and quiet results with the new F&P Simplus, the Amara GEL version, the older standard Quattro FFM, the Hans Rudolph V2, and the Quattro FX. Some people really like the new Quattro Air, too.

The new Airfit FFM looks really good, and has no forehead bar, which is a nice feature.

Whatever you do, buy the mask insurance and don't be afraid to return them. Don't settle on something that may be a bad fit for you.

Luthie2006

Post by Luthie2006 » Thu Jun 12, 2014 4:23 pm

Thank you Hyperlexis. That mask does look interesting. I ordered the cervical collar and if that doesn't keep my lips closed while I am reclining upward in bed, I will try your mask. Thank you very much.

TDotGrrrl

Post by TDotGrrrl » Thu Jun 12, 2014 7:36 pm

I don't know if this has been said as I didn't have time to read the whole thread but I am a MOUTH BREATHER as well but I firmly believe that FF masks are the worst ones for mouth breathers and I don't understand why they continue to give them out automatically.

In any event I could not get used to mine, although i have a very nice one but I woke up after 1-2 hours with a very dry mouth which felt as if someone had stuffed it full of cotton batten but had I been left with that, without a doubt I would have given up on my Sleep Apnea.

I was fortunate in that i just happened to have someone else's brand new Nasal Mask that had not been used lying around and i tried it and right away I knew it was the mask for me.
I never suffered from any feel of claustrophobia with the full face mask but it did take me a bit of fiddling to get used to the nasal mask. When I put it on the first time the pressure was on full so I was overwhelmed and for a few minutes couldn't get used to breathing in my nose and I opened my mouth and almost choked but it was due to the high pressure.
All I did to change that was i put it on RAMP and I got used to it as it went up and on over a 15 minute period so by the time it went on at full pressure i was completely relaxed and it was perfect and has been since.

I have slept with my mouth open since i was a kid and i thought it would never close LOL

Anyhow i have never once opened my mouth in the 2 weeks I have used this nasal mask and I sleep like a baby. All though my sleep study they kept putting FF masks on me and none of them fit, the leaking was atrocious.
I would suggest to any Mouth Breather to give a nasal mask a go and hopefully you will take to it like I did!!!

library lady

Post by library lady » Thu Jun 12, 2014 8:17 pm

I really like my AirFit F10. I went to it from Quattro Air, which I also like, but I like my F10 better. The Air is now my backup mask, and F10 my main mask. I love having interchangeable cushions.

Now using AirFit F10 mask; Quattro Air is backup mask. RemZzzz mask liners with both.

49er

Post by 49er » Fri Jun 13, 2014 4:25 am

Luthie2006 wrote:49'r: What is an elan cloth mask? Thank you.
Hi Luthie2006.

Here is a link to it on cpap.com

https://www.cpap.com/productpage/single ... -mask.html

49er

zoocrewphoto

Post by zoocrewphoto » Fri Jun 13, 2014 4:40 am

TDotGrrrl wrote:I don't know if this has been said as I didn't have time to read the whole thread but I am a MOUTH BREATHER as well but I firmly believe that FF masks are the worst ones for mouth breathers and I don't understand why they continue to give them out automatically.

Considering that I do NOT breathe through my nose when I am horizontal (even if my nose is clear), I would never be able to sleep with a nasal mask. I actually put off the sleep study for several years because I thought nasal masks were the only option. If full face masks were not an option, I would still be untreated.

I tried to breathe through my nose once while wearing my mask, and I thought the sensation of air in my nose was horrible.

Good thing we have different options. I hate nasal masks of any type just as much as you hate full face masks. Maybe more. I would be thrilled just to have a bubble around my mouth and nothing on my nose. I do have the oracle mask, and I like it, but I have not mastered sleeping more than an hour and a half with it even though I like it very much. I don't even need the nasal plugs.

Who would have thought it would be this challenging to sleep and breathe at the same time?

Luthie2006

Post by Luthie2006 » Fri Jun 13, 2014 6:56 am

Thank you for all the wonderful replies and answers what helps you. I still am not sure what the Elan cloth is supposed to do?? Is this an actual mask or is this the cushion that you put over a nasal mask to make the nasal mask softer? I am not quite sure, if someone can enlighten me. I have already bought many things of CPAP.com and love the site!! And their delivery!!

Like I wrote in this post, I had no problem with the WISP nasal mask for 3 straight weeks, except there is no way to make that air vent exhalation holes to not blow somewhere on your face or eyebrows or hair. I have not figured that out. But unfortunately, I have terrible coughing at night which I am going to get checked out on Monday with an upper endoscopy and I can no longer lay on my side. Laying on my back still makes me cough but I think not as much, and the WISP did not work because on my back my mouth opened up. I ordered the soft cervical collar that M'ohrs really loves for keeping the jaw closed and lay on my back and put Listernine strips on my lips and hope that keeps my mouth closed so I can start using the machine again. I don't know if you have ever coughed with a nasal mask on but all this force of air comes out of your mouth and it's not very good. I am trying to figure out which way to put the Listerine strips cut in half, vertically on my lips or horizontally to keep them temporarily closed. This site is amazing to be able to get such good information from everyone. Does anyone have an idea or use these Listerine strips to keep your mouth closed? Thank you.

flyingwithoutwings

Post by flyingwithoutwings » Fri Jun 13, 2014 7:10 am

Luthie2006 wrote:I still am not sure what the Elan cloth is supposed to do?? Is this an actual mask or is this the cushion that you put over a nasal mask to make the nasal mask softer? I am not quite sure, if someone can enlighten me.
Follow the link to the Elan. I tried it but couldn't control the leaks and it was the only mask I experienced rainout with. So, I returned it.

https://www.cpap.com/productpage/single ... -mask.html

Even though I am not a mouth breather I use a full face mask. After using the Wisp and the Mirage FX for 6 months, I suddenly starting feeling like I couldn't breathe as soon as I put them on. Now with the FFM I have no problems.
Last edited by flyingwithoutwings on Fri Jun 13, 2014 7:11 am, edited 1 time in total.

49er

Post by 49er » Fri Jun 13, 2014 7:10 am

Unfortunately, I had the wrong selection in my profile. Here is the right one.

https://www.cpap.com/productpage/sleepw ... -mask.html

http://www.circadiance.com/sleepweaver-elan/

But yes, it is an actual cloth mask that goes over your nose. Instead of your nose rubbing against plastic, it rubs against cloth.
Luthie2006 wrote:Thank you for all the wonderful replies and answers what helps you. I still am not sure what the Elan cloth is supposed to do?? Is this an actual mask or is this the cushion that you put over a nasal mask to make the nasal mask softer? I am not quite sure, if someone can enlighten me. I have already bought many things of CPAP.com and love the site!! And their delivery!!

Like I wrote in this post, I had no problem with the WISP nasal mask for 3 straight weeks, except there is no way to make that air vent exhalation holes to not blow somewhere on your face or eyebrows or hair. I have not figured that out. But unfortunately, I have terrible coughing at night which I am going to get checked out on Monday with an upper endoscopy and I can no longer lay on my side. Laying on my back still makes me cough but I think not as much, and the WISP did not work because on my back my mouth opened up. I ordered the soft cervical collar that M'ohrs really loves for keeping the jaw closed and lay on my back and put Listernine strips on my lips and hope that keeps my mouth closed so I can start using the machine again. I don't know if you have ever coughed with a nasal mask on but all this force of air comes out of your mouth and it's not very good. I am trying to figure out which way to put the Listerine strips cut in half, vertically on my lips or horizontally to keep them temporarily closed. This site is amazing to be able to get such good information from everyone. Does anyone have an idea or use these Listerine strips to keep your mouth closed? Thank you.

zoocrewphoto

Post by zoocrewphoto » Fri Jun 13, 2014 7:51 am

Luthie2006 wrote: But unfortunately, I have terrible coughing at night which I am going to get checked out on Monday with an upper endoscopy and I can no longer lay on my side. Laying on my back still makes me cough but I think not as much, and the WISP did not work because on my back my mouth opened up.
Do you have GERD, post nasal drip, allergies, and/or asthma? Other than cold/flu, those are the typical causes of cough.

A couple years ago, I came down with 2 weeks of severe coughing. My doctor had no idea, and prescribed cough syrup with codeine. It tastes nasty and only lasted 3 hours (had to wait 4 before taking again), and I was using it non-stop along with cough drops to keep from coughing at work (I work with food) and to sleep at night. A few weeks later, it started up again and went 6 weeks. Another bottle or cough syrup and no solution. When it started again several months later, my doctor prescribed a pill instead which worked better, lasted longer, and didn't taste nasty. But it still didn't cure the cough issue.

I finally discovered that my cough was an allergy/asthma reaction to a spill chemical in the car that I was being exposed to on longer trips. I figured this out after my dad commented that I kept coming home sick, and I defiantly listed all the times I did NOT get sick and realized they were all in somebody else's vehicle. My doctor never figured this out and never adjusted any of my allergy or asthma medications.

When I changed doctors, she reviewed my medications and made several changes. One of my blood pressure medications was making my asthma worse. Two of my OTC medications and the cough medications were raising my blood pressure. One of my asthma medications is designed to work with daily usage, but I was told to use it only when I had a problem. She increased that one and increased it again later. My blood pressure is better. I sleep better. My asthma is better. My allergies are better. And the cough is gone. As my doctor explained it, these 4 things cause cough, and you have all 4. How about we treat those, and you won't need the cough pills anymore? Works for me

Hopefully, they will find an explanation and help get you treated so that you can sleep better. If you have any of those 4 problems, I would definitely make sure they are being successfully treated. I completely understand how frustrating it is to cough all night. As a full face mask user, I could handle some single coughs, but with a full blown coughing spasm (almost like whooping cough), I couldn't get enough air in, and the mask would come off as I gasped for air. My sleep was really messed up during that time. It is the main reason I changed doctors. I was tired of my problems getting worse.

Who would have thought it would be this challenging to sleep and breathe at the same time?

Luthie2006

Post by Luthie2006 » Fri Jun 13, 2014 9:58 am

Zoocrewphoto: Thank you for the suggestions. I believe my chronic coughing at night is related to GERD, so impossible unfortunately to wear the mask now.
I am going for a scope on Monday morning and hopefully I will have some more answers. I am on blood pressure med (10 mg Lisinopril) and take it in the morning but don't cough at work. Only when I lay down and even sitting propped up last night, was a little better but not much. Oh, the things we do to get a good night's sleep. I was doing so well on the mask and machine but the coughing is pretty bad, so I will find out more on Monday what to do.
But unfortunately for right now (and being a Newbie) I cannot use the machine and mask and cough with the nasal mask on or any mask for that matter as it is chronic.... thank you for suggestions.

flyingwithoutwings

Post by flyingwithoutwings » Fri Jun 13, 2014 10:26 am

Luthie2006 wrote:I am on blood pressure med (10 mg Lisinopril) and take it in the morning but don't cough at work.
I used to be on Prinivil and had to stop taking it because of the coughing. After a few years I was put on Lisinopril and again had to get off them because of the coughing.

Bama Rambler

Post by Bama Rambler » Fri Jun 13, 2014 10:41 am

Lisinopril is an ACE inhibitor and one of the most common side effects of ACE inhibitors is dry cough. If you cough when using one ACE inhibitor you'll cough when using another. There are several meds that replace ACE inhibitors that don't have that side effect. Check with your doc and see if you can switch to something that won't cause the cough.