New to CPAP

General Discussion on any topic relating to CPAP and/or Sleep Apnea.
eddie57

New to CPAP

Post by eddie57 » Sat Jun 28, 2014 4:01 pm

Hi,

I have only tried using my CPAP a few times but I have not been able to fall asleep while even after trying to do so for up to 3 hours.. Without the CPAP machine I fall asleep within minutes. Does anyone have any idea what I can do to fall asleep with my CPAP machine?

PS: When I have it on, the air flow seems to keep me awake and alert.

Thanks

LSAT

Re: New to CPAP

Post by LSAT » Sat Jun 28, 2014 5:34 pm

eddie57 wrote:Hi,

I have only tried using my CPAP a few times but I have not been able to fall asleep while even after trying to do so for up to 3 hours.. Without the CPAP machine I fall asleep within minutes. Does anyone have any idea what I can do to fall asleep with my CPAP machine?

PS: When I have it on, the air flow seems to keep me awake and alert.

Thanks
Fill in your Equipment profile so we know what machine and mask you are using.. Your pressure will also be helpful

Tatooed Lady

Post by Tatooed Lady » Sat Jun 28, 2014 5:35 pm

you may want to beat the rush...go to the user control panel and enter your unit info. What machine, mask, humidifier (if any)...and also let them know what pressure your machine is set for.

As Bette Davis famously said, “Old age ain’t for sissies.”
I'm with the band.
So.Many.TOYS!

Pesser

Post by Pesser » Sat Jun 28, 2014 5:37 pm

I can’t imagine anyone having a worst time of it than me. Here’s the first thing I did…..I started reading with it. I was always going to bed at 3:00. So I started going to bed at 1:00 and with the machine (if you’re not a reader, then watch TV with it). After about a week the machine’s noise was a comforting sound. Other people on this forum will want you to give more information about your settings and equipment. One of your concerns is pressure relief on your equipment. The good people on this forum will be along any minute. I hope you take their advice to heart. They know a great deal!!!!!!!!!!!

kteague

Post by kteague » Sat Jun 28, 2014 10:07 pm

Part of it is conditioning, and that takes time and use for the brain to accept the new sensations and relax about it enough to sleep. However, that adjustment phase should include being in tune to anything specific about the treatment that is interfering with sleep. Is anything particularly uncomfortable? Are there masks leaks? One thing I've heard quite a few times on here is when the ramp feature is being used and the starting pressure is so low it's suffocating. That would certainly keep the brain on alert.

SleepWellCPAP

Post by SleepWellCPAP » Sun Jun 29, 2014 6:42 am

You may also consider a sleep aid medication to help you get over the initial acclimation period. Either over the counter or Rx, provided you doctor agrees of course.

I have had many clients use Ambian, Lunesta, etc., on a short term basis to adapt to xPAP with a fair amount of success.

Good luck!
Jim Swearingen
Author of the book Sleep Well & Feel Great with CPAP, a definitive guide
For a free copy inquire with your local county librarian
CPAPtalk featured - Also available through Barnes & Noble Booksellers

gdgiles

Post by gdgiles » Sun Jun 29, 2014 7:53 am

I'm just in my 2nd week of CPAP but Pugsy shared this link with me

http://adventures-in-hosehead-land.blog ... er_19.html

and it helped me a TON in wrapping my brain about CPAP and sleep. Last night was the quickest I've fallen asleep so far and I'd say it was less than 20 minutes. Not the less than 5 I'm used to but I'm slowly getting there. I find when I first hook up my breathing is deeper and faster than it needs to be. Maybe a way my brain needs to know I'm not going to suffocate? It seems I have to calm myself down to regulate my breathing so I start to think about anything that will take my mind off my breathing.

In a world full of locks, love is the key. God is love.

eddie57

Post by eddie57 » Fri Jul 04, 2014 1:29 pm

Thank you to everyone that replied. Sorry I hadn't replied earlier, but I had out of town guests and they took all my time and just left. I will post the information requested as soon as I research it. Thanks

Eddie

PS: According to my sleep study results it seems I only go into sleep stage II and never beyond that. Could that be the cause for my low energy levels? Still new to all this.

Nick Danger

Post by Nick Danger » Fri Jul 04, 2014 1:38 pm

Low energy levels are part of the deal with untreated sleep apnea. Your energy levels should improve as you use your CPAP more.

eddie57

Post by eddie57 » Fri Jul 04, 2014 1:53 pm

Thanks Nick.

eddie57

Post by eddie57 » Fri Jul 04, 2014 2:40 pm

Hi gdgiles,

Thank you for posting that link. Great information.