New to forum; 2nd night from CPAP concern

General Discussion on any topic relating to CPAP and/or Sleep Apnea.
JenniC9182

New to forum; 2nd night from CPAP concern

Post by JenniC9182 » Sat Jul 12, 2014 1:51 pm

For the most part I believe I've got everything under control. I don't fill the line of the distilled water over the fill line, so my concern how did I hear the moisture in the tube and feeling it on my face from my mask? This didn't happen my 1st night using the machine.

zoocrewphoto

Re: New to forum; 2nd night from CPAP concern

Post by zoocrewphoto » Sat Jul 12, 2014 2:01 pm

This is called rain out, and this usually occurs when the temp of the room is cooler than the water from the humidifier and condensation occurs in the hose. There are some things to reduce and prevent this. Keep your machine lower than the bed as that will keep the water from making it to the mask and your face. your hose may still gurgle though. Usually, the best ways to prevent this are to use a heated hose or a cozy around a non-heated hose. I only have this problem when I share a hotel room with my sister or stay at her place since she likes the temp lower than I do. I normally prefer cooler air on my face, but when staying with her, I boost my temp setting about 8 degrees, and that prevents the water in the hose.

Who would have thought it would be this challenging to sleep and breathe at the same time?

Wulfman...

Post by Wulfman... » Sat Jul 12, 2014 2:03 pm

JenniC9182 wrote:For the most part I believe I've got everything under control. I don't fill the line of the distilled water over the fill line, so my concern how did I hear the moisture in the tube and feeling it on my face from my mask? This didn't happen my 1st night using the machine.
It's called "rainout". You can do a forum search (above) and find many, many discussions about it.
Basically, it amounts to the fact that your humidity setting is creating more warm, humid air (water vapor) than can be carried. When the warm water vapor gets into the cooler hose and mask, it condenses back into water and that's what you're experiencing. In some cases, it can pool in the hose and make thumping noises....."water hammer"......because the air can't get past the water that's backed up.

Basically, two fixes exist.......either turn down your Heated Humidifier setting until it stops.......or warm up the environment so the humidity doesn't condense back into water. Heated hoses come in handy to accomplish that.

Den

JenniC9182

Post by JenniC9182 » Sat Jul 12, 2014 2:07 pm

So the excess moisture in the hose and coming in through the mask is not such a big deal or concern? I should of thought about how cool the bedroom would cause the condensation to come through. Is not really a bother. Just liking to know I won't mess anything up using my machine. I've it set on top a wooden TV dinner table. My A/C in the bedroom is set to 72 degrees F. I'm from Dallas, Tx.

Wulfman...

Post by Wulfman... » Sat Jul 12, 2014 2:12 pm

JenniC9182 wrote:So the excess moisture in the hose and coming in through the mask is not such a big deal or concern? I should of thought about how cool the bedroom would cause the condensation to come through. Is not really a bother. Just liking to know I won't mess anything up using my machine. I've it set on top a wooden TV dinner table. My A/C in the bedroom is set to 72 degrees F. I'm from Dallas, Tx.
Well, it can be if too much of it accumulates or if it disturbs your sleep.

Den

palerider

Post by palerider » Sat Jul 12, 2014 2:15 pm

JenniC9182 wrote:So the excess moisture in the hose and coming in through the mask is not such a big deal or concern? I should of thought about how cool the bedroom would cause the condensation to come through. Is not really a bother. Just liking to know I won't mess anything up using my machine. I've it set on top a wooden TV dinner table. My A/C in the bedroom is set to 72 degrees F. I'm from Dallas, Tx.
hello fellow dfwian.

you can set the machine lower so that the water can drain back down the hose and into the humidifier.

you can get, or make, a hose sock/cozy that gives a bit of insulation to the hose.

some machines offer a heated hose option.

fill out your equipment section in your profile so we can offer better advice

Accounts to put on the foe list: dataq1, clownbell, gearchange, lynninnj, mper!?, DreamDiver, Geer1, almostadoctor, sleepgeek, ajack, stom, mogy, D.H., They often post misleading, timewasting stuff.

JenniC9182

Post by JenniC9182 » Sat Jul 12, 2014 2:33 pm

I have a RESmart CPAP with a integrated heated humidifier. Can't tell from editing my machine type into my profile. I'm still getting a hang of the forum being new and getting the hang of the lingo here which would help me. I suppose I do like the tubing sock idea. But, adjusting the temperature of my humidifier will also help

palerider

Post by palerider » Sat Jul 12, 2014 4:15 pm

JenniC9182 wrote:I have a RESmart CPAP with a integrated heated humidifier. Can't tell from editing my machine type into my profile. I'm still getting a hang of the forum being new and getting the hang of the lingo here which would help me. I suppose I do like the tubing sock idea. But, adjusting the temperature of my humidifier will also help
you'll probably have to put that in a comment for your equipment.. the equipment selections here are ... iffy when you use the pulldown menus, but you have to pick something, like the mask, to even make the comment show up.

resmart isn't one of the more common units here'abouts

Accounts to put on the foe list: dataq1, clownbell, gearchange, lynninnj, mper!?, DreamDiver, Geer1, almostadoctor, sleepgeek, ajack, stom, mogy, D.H., They often post misleading, timewasting stuff.