Struggling

General Discussion on any topic relating to CPAP and/or Sleep Apnea.
Imogen

Struggling

Post by Imogen » Thu Aug 14, 2014 3:24 am

I have just begun using a cpap machine and I am having such a struggle with it I dread going to bed at night . I have read many of the posts but can't seem to get it right. Initially I was waking up with nose so blocked I just couldn't breathe with the mask on at all . I turned the humidifier up to 4 and it was slightly better but still a battle I turned the humidifier up to 5 which was much better but woke with huge amount of moisture in the mask and on my face . I have read about making a wick with a tissue but not sure if I should . I feel so tired and frustrated with it all Is this normal Feel like giving it up Is this normal when first using a cpap machine
I am using a F&P ICOON + with a Phillips Wisp Nasal Mask

Julie

Re: Struggling

Post by Julie » Thu Aug 14, 2014 4:49 am

Hi, it would help us to help you a lot if you'd register, so then you can click to 'User Control Panel' (tiny letters!) under the logo of main page and then go to Profile, put in the full name (see top of machine) and model number (on machine bottom - but Don't turn machine over til water's poured out or humidifier detached!) of your machine. Then say what mask and type you have. Also put down your pressure settings. That way your info will appear automatically under all your posts (see blue under mine) and everyone will have something to go by when advising you.

What part of the country do you live - is it near water (i.e. NW, or not far from water anywhere) because you may not even need humidity right now, even tho' you said you've put it up high... if you're in Arizona or Colorado though it might be needed. I don't know what you refer to about 'wicking'... explain please?

If your machine is located on a table higher than your head, you'll get water in the mask, so put it somewhere level or lower... water won't run uphill.

Humidity is a comfort feature, and not 'therapy', so how much you use, if any, is up to you, but a lot of people get very congested with it, or at least when it's on a higher setting like yours is.

Do you use the ramp feature? Your pressure settings may be too low or high for you to breathe at - do you know what your prescribed setting is supposed to be?

With some of that info, we'll try to help.

Are you using any software to track your overnight progress?

Sclark08

Post by Sclark08 » Thu Aug 14, 2014 5:03 am

Get yourself some saline spray for your nose. It really helped me. If it doesn't maybe your Dr could suggest some nose sprays. I constantly have to adjust my humidity setting depending on the weather.
Last night was a little dryer so I adjusted up from 0 to 3. I was on. 0 all those days when we had all that rain and humidity.
You just have to take all that stuff into account and deal with getting used to the machine itself. Just hang in there and best of luck

JDS74

Post by JDS74 » Thu Aug 14, 2014 6:36 am

Imogen:

If the nasal congestion is often and prevents breathing through you nose, you might consider an Oracle 2 mask like I use.
There is a link in my signature block that discusses issues in using this mask. If you have detailed questions or want help in trying this mask, send me a PM and I'll try to help.

Since you are new to CPAP therapy there are some helpful things to do:

1. Get a copy of your sleep study and your sleep titration study. They have interesting information that will help in understanding your therapy

2. Get a copy of your prescription for your own records. It will be necessary if you choose to change DME's or order online

3. Post your equipment. There is a link on how to do this in my signature block below. Please select TEXT as a display choice as many CPAP machines and masks appear similar but are significantly different

4. If you need to post images of your reports, there is a link in my signature block on how to post using PhotoBucket.com

5. While the LCD display is somewhat useful, it is better to use one of the reporting software programs to get detailed information on your therapy. The two available for Respironics machines are: Encore (Basic or Pro) and SleepyHead.
If you have a ResMed machine, the SleepyHead and ResScan are the programs of choice. Encore and ResScan are both Windows only programs. SleepyHead can be used for Windows and for Mac OS.

Oracle 452 Lessons Learned Updated
DSX900 AutoSV with HC150 extra humidifier and Hibernite heated hose
Settings: EPAP Min-10.0, EPAP Max-17, PS Min-3, PS Max-10, Max Pressure-20, Rate-Auto, Biflex-1.
Sleepyhead and Encore Pro 2.21.

tmr

Post by tmr » Thu Aug 14, 2014 6:42 am

You can solve this, search "rainout"

Day_Dreamer

Post by Day_Dreamer » Thu Aug 14, 2014 7:16 am

Imogen wrote:I have just begun using a cpap machine and I am having such a struggle with it I dread going to bed at night . I have read many of the posts but can't seem to get it right. Initially I was waking up with nose so blocked I just couldn't breathe with the mask on at all . I turned the humidifier up to 4 and it was slightly better but still a battle I turned the humidifier up to 5 which was much better but woke with huge amount of moisture in the mask and on my face . I have read about making a wick with a tissue but not sure if I should . I feel so tired and frustrated with it all Is this normal Feel like giving it up Is this normal when first using a cpap machine
I am using a F&P ICOON + with a Phillips Wisp Nasal Mask

I keep mine @ 5 as well

I use a humidifier in my bedroom year round

I keep the hose elevated above the machine

I still get rained on occasionally but no big deal

Pugsy

Post by Pugsy » Thu Aug 14, 2014 7:28 am

Condensation in the mask is called rain out. It can happen simply from the moisture in our own exhaled breath cooling in the mask.
Setting the machine on the floor won't prevent rain out in the mask from exhaled breaths. It's going to pool in the mask and be annoying. It's just annoying though..won't hurt you.
See this thread posts number 2 and 3 about various ways to deal with rain out.
viewtopic/t94035/Pugsys-Pointers-3Deali ... -road.html

If your nasal congestion is improved with the higher humidity levels then your nasal mucosa just happens to like more moisture.
Humidity needs varies among the individuals and it doesn't matter where you live. If you nose wants more moisture it wants more moisture.

You need to warm up the air in the mask so it doesn't cool and release the water.
Hose cozy, warmer bedroom temps or heated hose.

If you want to try the Eclipse mask and want a special promo code to get a little off the price...send me a private message.

Imogen

Post by Imogen » Fri Aug 15, 2014 8:17 am

Thank you all so much for the replies I am afraid I finger it all a bit overwhelming but will try and read and do things suggested

Slartybartfast

Post by Slartybartfast » Fri Aug 15, 2014 9:34 am

I'd like to reiterate the recommendation for the use of a saline nasal spray. My sleep doc said that he could not overemphasize how important using a saline spray is to keeping the nose clear at night. It's just saltwater, like a day at the beach. You spray while inhaling until you can taste the saltwater going down the back of your throat. I've been using it and never a problem.

Imogen

Post by Imogen » Sat Aug 16, 2014 12:39 am

Thanks for info re saline spray ? Just wondered do use it only at night ? I tried it last night and it seemed much better . Wonder if I will ever get used to this but I guess it must improve.

Julie

Post by Julie » Sat Aug 16, 2014 3:40 am

Before bed.

mikerrt

Post by mikerrt » Sat Aug 16, 2014 7:54 am

The nasal mucosais swelling in response to low humidity, nasal saline spray will help initially, as long as the humidifier is propetly set to pick up the slack once it warm up. Preheat your humidifier and seeif there is a difference.

Pugsy

Post by Pugsy » Sat Aug 16, 2014 8:17 am

I use the saline spray especially at night but often also use it first thing in the AM if the nasal mucosa seem a little dry.
You can use it as often as you wish though.

If you want to try the Eclipse mask and want a special promo code to get a little off the price...send me a private message.

Imogen

Post by Imogen » Sat Aug 16, 2014 11:28 pm

I have now filled in all details on my profile as suggested. Hope it is OK I have tried the saline spray as suggested and it did help me get to sleep plus I haven't had the problem with the moisture again . However this morning I once again woke with my nose so blocked I could not breathe I can't tell you the relief I felt when I took the mask of and could breathe.
I have the humidifier on 5 Tried 4 and just could get enough air I thought I would try 6 tonight . Sorry to sound so painful but I am really having a battle with this .
When I had the sleep study the Dr told me I was having 50 episodes an hour and prescribed a setting if 7 I think from memory.
The diagnosis was a shock and I really don't want to bother my family too much with this as my husband to whom I am a full time carer is battling with terminal cancer and my children are carrying me enough at the moment since my son and daughter in law were killed some months ago. I am wring this not to sound poor me or for sympathy but to explain my need for advice and assistance outside my usual support network if that makes sense .
I am just finding it difficult with this machine on top of everything else

Julie

Post by Julie » Sun Aug 17, 2014 3:45 am

Imogen - sounds like you believe higher humidity (already at its highest apparently) will help you breathe better, but maybe the problem's that your pressure is just not set high enough. That's the setting that delivers enough air to keep your throat open (and what Cpap's all about). It's nothing to do with humidity, which is not therapy, only a comfort feature. We can help you to adjust it if necessary but need more information - what pressure(s) is your machine set at (low and high)? If it's too low, all the humidity in the world won't help as you're just not getting enough air from the machine.

There's also another issue - if you're fighting to breathe, it's very possible your mouth is opening when asleep... but that lets out more of the therapy air that needs to go towards opening your airway, and one way of preventing that is to wear a full face mask rather than the nasal one you have now, so that even if you're mouth breathing while asleep, you won't lose that air to the breeze. If you think that's possible (and it sounds likely), you need to try various masks (check out the full face ones on cpap.com for pictures, reviews, etc.). The size etc. is important though, so leaks don't occur, but if you can't afford them outright, there are ways to get help with that as well.