Dreamwear Frame Measurements

General Discussion on any topic relating to CPAP and/or Sleep Apnea.
BleepingBeauty

Dreamwear Frame Measurements

Post by BleepingBeauty » Sun Dec 06, 2015 10:02 am

I asked my DME for the DreamWear back in early October. They told me it wasn’t even in their system yet, and it might be awhile. I finally received it this week. They sent me the complete FitPack with all the frame sizes included, so I figured I’d measure the frames for anyone who might be interested in getting a different size and wondering just how much difference there is between them. Here they are lined up (S/M/L):

This is how I measured the frames. The tape measure runs from the outside of the O on the very top of the mask to the outside end of the silicone tube (where the nasal cushion would attach). As you can see, the frame curves toward the front, so the measurements are the best I could do when laying the tube flat:

S 8.5”
M 9.25”
L 10”

So there's about 3/4" difference between each one. Not sure how helpful that info will be to anyone; just figured I'd put it out there.

Happy sleeping.
Veni, vidi, Velcro. I came, I saw, I stuck around.

Dx 11/07: AHI 107, central apnea, Cheyne Stokes respiration, moderate-severe O2 desats. (Simple OSA would be too easy. ;))

PR S1 ASV 950, DreamWear mask, F&P 150 humidifier, O2 @ 2L.

Zzz chick

Re: Dreamwear Frame Measurements

Post by Zzz chick » Tue Feb 16, 2016 10:36 am

This is much needed info. I like the seal on the small mask pillow but need the fit of the medium wide. Switching to the large frame looks like overkill i wish they made adjuster/adapters that clicked in between the pillow and the frame to give you just a little more room when needed. If i use the small it works great but is short enough to leave me a good mark under my nose pretty bad. The medium wide leaves no marks but i have to more intentionally get the seal going. It stays sealed. Anyway, great mask.

SleepyVegas

Post by SleepyVegas » Tue Feb 16, 2016 10:43 am

Great stuff! My trials with the Dreamware, is that the medium frame is just a bit too big, and the small is just a bit tight. The nose part, is somewhere between a medium wide to a large. The large leaks too much for my liking, while the medium wide blocks part of a nostril.

palerider

Post by palerider » Tue Feb 16, 2016 3:08 pm

BleepingBeauty wrote:so the measurements are the best I could do when laying the tube flat::
if you feel like revisting it, you could use a sewing measuring tape, or take a piece of string, and follow the contours, then measure the string.

Accounts to put on the foe list: dataq1, clownbell, gearchange, lynninnj, mper!?, DreamDiver, Geer1, almostadoctor, sleepgeek, ajack, stom, mogy, D.H., They often post misleading, timewasting stuff.

Jenk2k

Post by Jenk2k » Tue Feb 16, 2016 10:01 pm

I tried this mask/pillow and it never sealed against my nose. I actually contacted Philips directly and gave them some feedback. The design itself is actually pretty great. It just wouldn't stay sealed to my nose. It's also somewhat loud, compared to a swift FX. They never reimbursed me for the cost of it, so FYI to anyone looking to "try" this out, it will be at your own risk cost wise.

Other than that, it seems like with some modifications this could be a really great solution.

Thatgirl

Post by Thatgirl » Tue Feb 16, 2016 11:57 pm

I got the fit pack from my DME, but mine only came with the cushion sizes and a medium frame. I found the small cushion for best, but then when I called them to order my 6 month supply, I accidentally ordered medium cushions. So then I tried the medium cushions. The medium cushion worked just as well as the small, if not even a bit better. However, I consistently had problems with the headgear riding up in the back. I ordered a large frame online and tried that. I had to tighten it quite a bit, but no more riding up! And remarkably, even being tightened, I hardly feel it on my face! With my buckwheat pillow, no leaks. The biggest issue is that it seems to just love to trap humidity in the tube, but with the dry winter air that's okay. Lanolin protects my skin.

Usually ~EPAP 6, IPAP 12
Loving Sleepyhead!

Sonnyboy

Post by Sonnyboy » Wed Feb 17, 2016 1:16 am

Jenk2k wrote:I tried this mask/pillow and it never sealed against my nose. I actually contacted Philips directly and gave them some feedback. The design itself is actually pretty great. It just wouldn't stay sealed to my nose. It's also somewhat loud, compared to a swift FX. They never reimbursed me for the cost of it, so FYI to anyone looking to "try" this out, it will be at your own risk cost wise.

Other than that, it seems like with some modifications this could be a really great solution.
I really like this mask. For me, it is comfortable, quiet, and most important - solved my leak problem.
Check with Cpap.com and ask about their 30 day return policy.

BigNortherner

Post by BigNortherner » Mon Mar 12, 2018 3:32 pm

ZZZ chick, it appears that Respironics' scheme is to use the back straps to adjust vertical height of the frame by changing its curve - note in side view that the frame is not straight vertical.

IMJ it is poor design, made worse by the back straps being far to high on the head.

You might try wrapping towel material around the top of the gram each side of the hose, securing it somehow.

Definitely buy on the large side then adjust/pad.

The opening in the cushion is not high enough for me.

One good thing about this design is that it comes with an MW cushion size for round nostrils.

As for sealing of:
- cushion, that general type of cushion is tricky, you have to get the vertical force correct by adjusting the frame with back straps.
- pillows version, you have to get the ends of the pillows into your nostrils, I pull the assembly away from my face a bit and bend it to spread the tips of the pillows apart then insert then relax.

BigNortherner

Post by BigNortherner » Wed Jul 25, 2018 1:38 pm

Tip: I find that the cushion needs to be further out the nose than feels right, in order to seal.

Caution: The cushion interface will not be good for long noses, they should have made an XL cushion.

As for pillows, the Swift II works better for me than the Dreamwear pillows, both take fiddling during the night. (I should design better headgear for the Swift II. I am working on a concept for supplemental headgears.)