Bug Discussion - Upgraded PHPbb Forum Software

General Discussion on any topic relating to CPAP and/or Sleep Apnea.
Goofproof

Re: Bug Discussion - Upgraded PHPbb Forum Software

Post by Goofproof » Sat Mar 03, 2018 4:20 pm

Pugsy wrote:
Sat Mar 03, 2018 3:45 pm
SewTired wrote:
Sat Mar 03, 2018 3:21 pm
Notification bug? I received a notification of a reply to both a new thread and a very old thread. The old thread is from 2016 and there is no CURRENT replies. Not a big deal, but seems to be a bug.
That old thread notification may have been my fault so disregard it unless it happens again.
2 possibles....first one is there was a new reply in an old thread this morning and I saw a duplicate post. I swear I saw a duplicate of the same post so I was just going to clean things up a bit and I removed one of them but then something happened and it ended up that I removed the only post. Still not sure how that happened. It wasn't spam but just 2 of the same post contents.
So that changed may have prompted your notifications since I essentially altered the thread.
The post removed was made by someone who only has 2 posts so a newbie and I remember who it is and I will send appropriate apology.
The person wasn't asking for help though...was one of those "I experienced that also" type of comments. I can't figure out how to put it back. :lol:

The other possibility is that I have been cleaning up some bad words in some of the threads...where someone quotes someone who has said something really bad. Often the offending words get quoted in a response or by multiple people responding so I was doing some bad word clean up last night in some of those old threads and again since that is a change to a post/thread it may have triggered the notification thing.

So that may have been what triggered your notifications. If it happens again we might dig deeper.
HINT: Bad Word "POLL"! :lol: Jim

Feel free to remove all! :lol:
Use data to optimize your xPAP treatment!

"The art of medicine consists in amusing the patient while nature cures the disease." Voltaire

Jay Aitchsee

Post by Jay Aitchsee » Sat Mar 03, 2018 4:23 pm

ChicagoGranny wrote:
Sat Mar 03, 2018 8:05 am
Pugsy wrote:
Sat Mar 03, 2018 7:46 am
If you go to compose a new private message there is a link for finding a member.
Ahh, a good trick.

Wondering why there is not a name search box on the members list. Seems basic omission.
Clicking on "username" at the top left of the member list will provide an alphanumeric sort which makes finding someone a little easier. Otherwise, I believe the default sort is by date joined.

Pugsy

Post by Pugsy » Sat Mar 03, 2018 4:35 pm

Goofproof wrote:
Sat Mar 03, 2018 4:20 pm
HINT: Bad Word "POLL"! :lol: Jim

Feel free to remove all! :lol:
No, no....but every time I saw where someone had spam reported someone for starting a poll I did think of you and yes...I know that you never spam deleted someone for starting a poll but I am pretty sure you wanted to. :lol: :lol:

I know poll is a 4 letter word to you but it's not really bad enough for me to go deleting those. :lol:
Mostly I was cleaning up the really bad personal attack 4 letter word stuff. The ones that make me cringe and it takes a lot of bad words to make me cringe since I have my own potty mouth issues.
Just some really nasty stuff that was started by people who no longer seem to hang out here and someone happened to quote it so it was stuck out there for everyone to see.
Now that spam and those bad words are no longer hidden I just didn't want the really nasty words out there and I was stuck at home taking care of hubby.

I will say this while doing some house cleaning of those old posts...the people who got blamed for spam deleting something were rarely the offenders. They got the blame but they didn't do it. I had to chuckle a bit over that. 98% of the people getting the blame weren't the guilty parties.

If you want to try the Eclipse mask and want a special promo code to get a little off the price...send me a private message.

chunkyfrog
Location: Nebraska--I am sworn to keep the secret of this paradise.

Post by chunkyfrog » Sat Mar 03, 2018 10:15 pm

When I click on a thread, my tablet opens a new tab--EVERY TIME except this thread.
Is this a "feature", now? I hate it.

edfreeman

Post by edfreeman » Sun Mar 04, 2018 9:01 am

chunkyfrog wrote:
Sat Mar 03, 2018 10:15 pm
When I click on a thread, my tablet opens a new tab--EVERY TIME except this thread.
On the bug list already. A twist to this is when I click on the symbol by the thread title to go to the first unread post of any thread, it stays in the same window. If I click on the thread title, a new tab is opened. This is on my laptop.

One other thing I noticed was the user option to set "posts per page" is absent.

chunkyfrog

Post by chunkyfrog » Sun Mar 04, 2018 10:40 am

Thank you, Ed.

Soothest Sleep

Post by Soothest Sleep » Sun Mar 04, 2018 11:56 am

Add me to those who are not enjoying the open-thread-in new-tab thing. It's definitely a pain. Yes, I can close the new tab and return to the original tab where I left the index displayed, but then I have to refresh that tab to see what changes have occurred in the index since I last read it. That whole process is do-able but very awkward on the desktop machine (especially when I forget to close-then-refresh and multiple tabs are left), and I haven't figured out how to do it on the tablet without closing the browser app and beginning a new session, which is way too cumbersome a manoeuvre.

I prefer the previous format where threads would open in the same tab I started; then when I click on the "return to index" link, the index is automatically updated and I also don't have to close a new tab.

I am happy to have links embedded in posts open in a new tab, though. I think of them as detours from the thread and thus apart from the flow of navigating conversations.

Ben, thanks for your work on improving the user experience!

Jean
O soft embalmer of the still midnight,
Shutting, with careful fingers and benign,
Our gloom-pleas'd eyes, embower'd from the light,
Enshaded in forgetfulness divine
-- John Keats

ChicagoGranny

Post by ChicagoGranny » Sun Mar 04, 2018 1:11 pm

Jay Aitchsee wrote:
Sat Mar 03, 2018 4:23 pm

Clicking on "username" at the top left of the member list will provide an alphanumeric sort which makes finding someone a little easier. Otherwise, I believe the default sort is by date joined.
Search for member "Rukel" and see how many pages of Rs you have to page through. Time consuming. Even using the jump-to-page feature at the bottom, you have to click, click, click ... and keep clicking.

chunkyfrog

Post by chunkyfrog » Sun Mar 04, 2018 4:59 pm

Soothest Sleep wrote:
Sun Mar 04, 2018 11:56 am
Add me to those who are not enjoying the open-thread-in new-tab thing. . . .

Ben, thanks for your work on improving the user experience!

Jean
Jean: as edfreeman indicated, clicking on the title will open a new tab,
but Ben has programmed the icons to open the thread in the same tab.
For multiple pages, click on the last page tab.
On a single page, click on the page icon just ahead of the title.
I am a bit behind the brilliant people, but hopping like mad to catch up.

RogerSC

Post by RogerSC » Mon Mar 05, 2018 2:37 am

Another vote for killing the "read a thread, get a new tab" behavior. That is so confusing, no reason for it, no other forum I've used acts that way.

Thanks!

jsielke

Post by jsielke » Mon Mar 05, 2018 8:41 am

Guess it still isn't very good at filtering the Chinese Spam, either.

bendauphinee

Post by bendauphinee » Mon Mar 05, 2018 9:22 am

prodigyplace wrote:
Fri Mar 02, 2018 7:50 pm
I also see that same behavior with Safari on the iPhone.
ChicagoGranny wrote:
Fri Mar 02, 2018 4:43 pm
It saves having to open the index page again after reading a thread. #accustomedtomultipletabs
USMCVet wrote:
Fri Mar 02, 2018 7:19 pm
I have 48 tabs open lol , I don't need one for every thread.
Pugsy wrote:
Fri Mar 02, 2018 7:52 pm
Ahhh...Okay....I see what you mean now. I rarely ever use the clicking on the page number thing but you are correct...I just tried it and I got a new tab with each of the couple that I just tried.
edfreeman wrote:
Fri Mar 02, 2018 8:27 pm
Not a fan of having a new tab for every thread opened...
chunkyfrog wrote:
Sat Mar 03, 2018 10:15 pm
Soothest Sleep wrote:
Sun Mar 04, 2018 11:56 am
Add me to those who are not enjoying the open-thread-in new-tab thing. It's definitely a pain. ...
RogerSC wrote:
Mon Mar 05, 2018 2:37 am
Another vote for killing the "read a thread, get a new tab" behavior. ...
I've caught up to this thread, and heard your many posts loud and clear.

I've pushed a change to that behavior to make it stop. My fault, I misunderstood earlier requests, and took it to mean all thread links, including the threads themselves, should open new tabs.

prodigyplace

Post by prodigyplace » Mon Mar 05, 2018 11:01 am

bendauphinee wrote:
Mon Mar 05, 2018 9:22 am

I've pushed a change to that behavior to make it stop. My fault, I misunderstood earlier requests, and took it to mean all thread links, including the threads themselves, should open new tabs.
Thank you for your response.

Here is something I have noticed here different from other forums. On other forums, when you quote a posting you just get the text of that posting and not the quotes from that posting. This behavior could shorten many postings instead of the nested quotes.

What do others here think of this idea for change?

Please visit our sponsor, CPAP.com at https://www.cpap.com/ for all your CPAP needs.

Pugsy

Post by Pugsy » Mon Mar 05, 2018 11:08 am

prodigyplace wrote:
Mon Mar 05, 2018 11:01 am
bendauphinee wrote:
Mon Mar 05, 2018 9:22 am

Thank you for your response.

Here is something I have noticed here different from other forums. On other forums, when you quote a posting you just get the text of that posting and not the quotes from that posting. This behavior could shorten many postings instead of the nested quotes.

Not sure I know what you mean but if you don't want everybody else's post quoted you can highlight and edit out or not quote the prior posts..
Like this one where I just quote what you said by using the highlight and quote button.
prodigyplace wrote:

Or this one where I actually edited out before posting the post from bendauphinee.
prodigyplace wrote:

If you want to try the Eclipse mask and want a special promo code to get a little off the price...send me a private message.

bendauphinee

Post by bendauphinee » Mon Mar 05, 2018 11:13 am

Soothest Sleep wrote:
Thu Feb 22, 2018 10:26 pm
The emails I receive to alert me to new posts ... The URLs are there, but all run together within one paragraph ...
I've released a fix which should correct this. Please let me know if you spot any more issues with this.