Buying used machines?

General Discussion on any topic relating to CPAP and/or Sleep Apnea.
jennmary

Buying used machines?

Post by jennmary » Thu Mar 08, 2018 10:58 pm

I need to get a new machine. Mine is 12+ years old now and I am not in love with some of the noises it is making.

I started searching local sale sites and found one for a price that is insane. A local woman selling a Resmed Airsense auto for Her.......for $100. Claims it was only used once. This seems way too good to be true. I am a little scared of going to pick it up and being robbed with a price that low.

All of that being said, I have never purchased a used machine before. I would love any insight as to what I should be looking for. Can someone tell me how to check the hours on that particular machine? Anything I should be looking out for with used equipment?

Anyone ever find a deal that was too good to be true and have it actually work out? Or should I expect to be robbed or kidnapped? lol

jennmary

Re: Buying used machines?

Post by jennmary » Thu Mar 08, 2018 11:01 pm

Dang it. Nevermind on that particular machine. She just got back to me and let me know it has been sold. :(

But the questions still stand. I am still looking for that particular machine locally.

palerider

Post by palerider » Thu Mar 08, 2018 11:18 pm

jennmary wrote:
Thu Mar 08, 2018 10:58 pm
I need to get a new machine. Mine is 12+ years old now and I am not in love with some of the noises it is making.

I started searching local sale sites and found one for a price that is insane. A local woman selling a Resmed Airsense auto for Her.......for $100. Claims it was only used once. This seems way too good to be true. I am a little scared of going to pick it up and being robbed with a price that low.

All of that being said, I have never purchased a used machine before. I would love any insight as to what I should be looking for. Can someone tell me how to check the hours on that particular machine? Anything I should be looking out for with used equipment?

Anyone ever find a deal that was too good to be true and have it actually work out? Or should I expect to be robbed or kidnapped? lol
I've bought several machines on craigslist, and I've never been unhappy with one I got. my best deal was an ASV (usually 3500-4000$ online) that I paid 375$ for. roughly similar to getting an autoset for 85$...

What experience has taught me to do is meet at a neutral, public place, that has power available. Some have suggested libraries, i like coffee shops. Examine the machine, look it over, pop the filter cover, and give a GOOD sniff, both of the inlet and outlet, see if you smell cigarette smoke, or any other objectionable smells... a light perfumey smell is fairly common, I believe it's from some of the silicone seals in the machine... it'll fade quickly with use. If you do the sniff test while it's running, the rush of air will dilute all but the most horrible smells.

After giving it a physical once over, plug it in, check the run hours (download a providers manual beforehand). turn it on, and listen to it, put your finger over the outlet so only a little bit of air flows, and listen, it should be nearly silent. You can get providers manuals via email from a link at the top of apneaboard.com.

If you don't spot anything that makes you go "woah"... then it's highly likely you're good to go... hand 'em some cash, wait for 'em to leave... have a coffee/tea... and then take your new machine home.

Accounts to put on the foe list: dataq1, clownbell, gearchange, lynninnj, mper!?, DreamDiver, Geer1, almostadoctor, sleepgeek, ajack, stom, mogy, D.H., They often post misleading, timewasting stuff.

cpap626

Post by cpap626 » Fri Mar 09, 2018 12:03 am

I have bought a bunch of stuff on craigslist and Offerup. I always meet them at a local starbucks, they have pretty good video cameras just in case and they also have outlets to test the eqpt. Offerup is good because there are some users that are verified and people review their past transactions.

Mikebear

Post by Mikebear » Fri Mar 09, 2018 6:47 am

jennmary wrote:
Thu Mar 08, 2018 11:01 pm
Dang it. Nevermind on that particular machine. She just got back to me and let me know it has been sold. :(

But the questions still stand. I am still looking for that particular machine locally.
You need to grab cheap ones like that VERY fast. It'll probably go back for sale at $300 by the person who bought it.

Cardsfan

Post by Cardsfan » Fri Mar 09, 2018 8:17 am

To check the RUN HOURS on the Resmed Airsense 10'
Hold in the Home button and the round knob at the same time for about 5 seconds. That unlocks it, a little padlock icon will appear at the top right corner of the screen. Click on SETTINGS. Scroll all the way down to ABOUT. Click on ABOUT. Scroll down to RUN HRS.
When you meet to try it, take your own mask with you. I've bout a few off CR, I like to meet at our Library. It is quiet, and has plenty of tables with outlets.

jennmary

Post by jennmary » Fri Mar 09, 2018 2:03 pm

Score! Found one new in package for $300....asked if she would take $250 and she said yes. I am picking it up Sunday. Comes with new heated hose too. I have to drive 2 hours to get there, but worth it if I am getting a brand new machine for that price.

Cardsfan

Post by Cardsfan » Fri Mar 09, 2018 4:03 pm

What machine?

LSAT

Post by LSAT » Fri Mar 09, 2018 4:58 pm

jennmary wrote:
Fri Mar 09, 2018 2:03 pm
Score! Found one new in package for $300....asked if she would take $250 and she said yes. I am picking it up Sunday. Comes with new heated hose too. I have to drive 2 hours to get there, but worth it if I am getting a brand new machine for that price.
Make sure it is the Autoset....I have seen a lot of New CPAP models on Craigslist

DavidY

Post by DavidY » Fri Mar 09, 2018 5:06 pm

No luck with my hunt for a backup...postings in Kijiji in my area are way overpriced, even those that are discontinued like the S9 and older. I can buy a new one cheaper than most of the postings.

Dave

Pugsy

Post by Pugsy » Fri Mar 09, 2018 5:30 pm

Cardsfan wrote:
Fri Mar 09, 2018 4:03 pm
What machine?
I think she was targeting the ResMed AirSense 10 AutoSet for Her model. At least that is what she asked me about.
For sure at least the regular AutoSet.

If you want to try the Eclipse mask and want a special promo code to get a little off the price...send me a private message.

jennmary

Post by jennmary » Fri Mar 09, 2018 8:10 pm

The one I am buying is a resmed airsense autoset, the "for her" model. I figure $250 is terrific for the machine, heated hose, regular hose, and a mask.....all brand new in package. Part of me is sad that they didn't at least give it a try. The other part is extremely thankful that I am able to scoop it up at a price I can afford.

jennmary

Post by jennmary » Fri Mar 09, 2018 8:11 pm

And I will be picking it up tomorrow. My mom is coming with me. Lol. She had nothing better to do and I can always use some backup in case it turns out to be a kidnapping scheme.😂😂

jennmary

Post by jennmary » Fri Mar 09, 2018 8:13 pm

DavidY wrote:
Fri Mar 09, 2018 5:06 pm
No luck with my hunt for a backup...postings in Kijiji in my area are way overpriced, even those that are discontinued like the S9 and older. I can buy a new one cheaper than most of the postings.

Dave
No joke. I have seen people asking some seriously stupid prices for things like the S8 base model.

palerider

Post by palerider » Fri Mar 09, 2018 9:13 pm

jennmary wrote:
Fri Mar 09, 2018 8:11 pm
My mom is coming with me. Lol. She had nothing better to do and I can always use some backup in case it turns out to be a kidnapping scheme.😂😂
Stop or my mom will shoot?

Accounts to put on the foe list: dataq1, clownbell, gearchange, lynninnj, mper!?, DreamDiver, Geer1, almostadoctor, sleepgeek, ajack, stom, mogy, D.H., They often post misleading, timewasting stuff.