8 days on machine & not up to insurance requirements...

General Discussion on any topic relating to CPAP and/or Sleep Apnea.
32blownhemi

8 days on machine & not up to insurance requirements...

Post by 32blownhemi » Fri Mar 09, 2018 10:00 pm

My machine is confusing me! I know for sure it doesn't complete my days at midnight. I just now realized my machine is counting my 24 hour days sometime in the afternoon. How strict are insurance companies for the first month? My first two days were terrible & not close to 4 hours a day (until I realized from what you folks said it was my mustache so I trimmed it). You would think the guy who gave me the machine would have know this.. Especially since I told him the nose mask bothered me. Now I have a lump on the inside of my top lip which makes my nose mask uncomfortable. Do they give you any slack? My machine says I've used it 8 out of 8 days (I picked it up last Friday afternoon). Days +4 hours 4/8. Average usage 4.6 hours. Used hours is 44.9... Oh, I ordered on-line a Air Fit F10 FF mask kit but it's not here yet... Just paid for it myself, though this would be quicker... Thank You! Bill

Julie

Re: 8 days on machine & not up to insurance requirements...

Post by Julie » Fri Mar 09, 2018 10:40 pm

Most machines track your time from noon to noon, so you have to look at reports prior to noon to get the previous night's results.

And what machine do you use - fullest name/#'s possible please.

Goofproof

Post by Goofproof » Fri Mar 09, 2018 11:30 pm

32blownhemi wrote:
Fri Mar 09, 2018 10:00 pm
My machine is confusing me! I know for sure it doesn't complete my days at midnight. I just now realized my machine is counting my 24 hour days sometime in the afternoon. How strict are insurance companies for the first month? My first two days were terrible & not close to 4 hours a day (until I realized from what you folks said it was my mustache so I trimmed it). You would think the guy who gave me the machine would have know this.. Especially since I told him the nose mask bothered me. Now I have a lump on the inside of my top lip which makes my nose mask uncomfortable. Do they give you any slack? My machine says I've used it 8 out of 8 days (I picked it up last Friday afternoon). Days +4 hours 4/8. Average usage 4.6 hours. Used hours is 44.9... Oh, I ordered on-line a Air Fit F10 FF mask kit but it's not here yet... Just paid for it myself, though this would be quicker... Thank You! Bill
I would have thought since you were sporting a mustache for more than one day, you would have figured hair wasn't air tight. So I can't see that excuse flying.

BTW: 4 hours daily is compliance, but it isn't treatment, just a get out of jail card... If you want to live it's all the time you lie down, every time. Then only after you get your treatment working correctly are you doing yourself good. Jim
Use data to optimize your xPAP treatment!

"The art of medicine consists in amusing the patient while nature cures the disease." Voltaire

32blownhemi

Post by 32blownhemi » Sat Mar 10, 2018 12:24 am

Thanks for the replies! Is the info I put up complete enough? Or should I write #'s in comments? Oh, the hair is air tight, that wasn't the problem. The problem was the mash was pushing the hair into my face & hurting. Didn't realize what was happening until someone posted about facial hair & CPAP's... Ok, if it doesn't fly, what does? I don't think noon is when my 24 hours ends but I check again tomorrow. I thought I had it figured out but by the time I realized I didn't it already calculated. It's really hard to wear all night with the sore on my lip... I told the guy giving me the test I'd like a FF, I told the guy when I picked up the machine I wanted a FF. I had no idea I should have contacted by regular doctor... No one listens. This is my first rodeo for this, live & learn... Thanks again! Bill

Julie

Post by Julie » Sat Mar 10, 2018 12:56 am

Oh, your info is fine - must not have seen it. I hope you're not wearing the mask too tight trying to stop leaks etc... it can't do its job that way so let it out a bit if it's overtightened. And if you can't find a mask that works with your hair you might have to shave, but try other masks, properly fitted and sized before that. There are very many full face and otherwise masks out there - see Cpap.com for pix, reviews, etc. and they will let you try most for a few wks for a small insurance fee, but don't expect your MD to know zip about masks (or even machines) otherwise, but if you want a prescription for a specific one, you'll need to give him the name.

32blownhemi

Post by 32blownhemi » Sat Mar 10, 2018 1:32 am

Thank You Julie! Well, you didn't see it because it wasn't there Lol... I didn't think to put it up until after you asked... My mustache doesn't cause my mask to leak & once I trimmed it it doesn't hurt except for the sore under my lip... I'll get it sooner or later... Thanks again! Bill

ajack

Post by ajack » Sat Mar 10, 2018 2:57 am

jump up and down, with DME and doctor, get a FFM
or just buy the f20 yourself
you always keep the mask on when you lay down, no excuses, or it just drags out getting use to cpap.

Mogy

Post by Mogy » Sat Mar 10, 2018 10:32 am

At the beginning, to get used to wearing your mask, and for insurance requirements, you can use your machine while awake. Watch TV in the evening for a couple of hours while using your machine to bump up your hours.
Using weight loss, general exercise, and tongue/throat exercises I managed to get my AHI down to approx 5.
Not using a machine currently.

D.H.

Post by D.H. » Sat Mar 10, 2018 10:35 am

For the purpose of insurance, you need to be using the machine 4 hours per each elapsed 24 hour period; 70% of the time. If you're using it every night, you will log enough time, regardless of when the cutoff is!

BTW, "enough" time for insurance is not "enough" time for the best therapeutic results. You should use the machine every time you sleep or even take a nap.

32blownhemi

Post by 32blownhemi » Mon Mar 12, 2018 12:04 am

Thank You Everyone! I just bought a F10 FF, it came yesterday & I wore it last night. And Julie, as I'm sure you already know, you were right, it goes to a new 24 hour period at noon... I now realize I won't have any problems meeting the requirements. The last 2 nights I've worn my mask for my entire time asleep. I'm at 70% with 20 days to go & no way I'm sleeping without my mask. I have to feel better... Bill

Julie

Post by Julie » Mon Mar 12, 2018 4:48 am

Terrific!

D.H.

Post by D.H. » Mon Mar 12, 2018 9:08 am

Glad to hear that you're "compliant" (which is an insurance term) and "adherent" (which is a medical term).