Inconsistent use of CPAP

General Discussion on any topic relating to CPAP and/or Sleep Apnea.
Taheerah

Inconsistent use of CPAP

Post by Taheerah » Sun Mar 11, 2018 8:13 am

Hi all,

I am so sorry for posting so many times this week but I am worried that my husbands sleep apnea may get worse if he doesn't use the machine daily.

He is travelling a lot (40-80 % at times) and since he is not comfortable travelling with the CPAP machine, most of the time he travels he goes without it.

Whenever we travel together I insist and I take the machine with me but a few days of the month whenever he is away for work he sleeps without it.

Surely, it is not healthy but will this have any long term effects?

We had a hard year getting used to the CPAP and many times my dh slept on the couch or in the guestroom partly because I couldn't sleep or he found the mask to be very uncomfortable.

I have spoken to him today and mentioned that we should really try to get used to the machine permanently but I doubt that he will travel with it.

My question is, would it be sufficient using the machine only when he is at home? I am hoping that once we got all the settings right, and we can finally both sleep that he will so get used to it so that he will take it everywhere he goes.

Pugsy

Re: Inconsistent use of CPAP

Post by Pugsy » Sun Mar 11, 2018 8:16 am

When he doesn't use the cpap machine his sleep apnea isn't being prevented/treated.

If he was diabetic what do you think would happen in terms of blood glucose control if he didn't take the insulin when he wasn't at home?

General rule...if asleep...use the machine.
It's not "when at home use the machine".

If you want to try the Eclipse mask and want a special promo code to get a little off the price...send me a private message.

Taheerah

Post by Taheerah » Sun Mar 11, 2018 8:20 am

I totally agree with you. I will have a serious talk with him and I hope that he will finally get used to the machine so he will always wear it.

I am trying very hard to make it all as comfortable as possible for him by hopefully buying the snuggle hose and nose pads etc.

rcobourn

Post by rcobourn » Sun Mar 11, 2018 8:31 am

Your husband may benefit from a travel device like the AirMini.

Taheerah

Post by Taheerah » Sun Mar 11, 2018 8:48 am

Hi there,

Thank you so much. This looks really good. I will make sure that we invest in this as soon as he got used to the treatment.

Pugsy

Post by Pugsy » Sun Mar 11, 2018 8:59 am

I would suggest investing in the AirSense 10 AutoSet before the travel size Air Mini...

If you want to try the Eclipse mask and want a special promo code to get a little off the price...send me a private message.

Taheerah

Post by Taheerah » Sun Mar 11, 2018 9:12 am

Sure Pugsy, we will do that. I am trying to convince our insurance that they will cover sleep apnea as the previous one did. I am hoping that we can get the Airsense at some point.

As for now, I have already been on Padacheek and I am about to place an order with some products that will hopefully make it a bit easier for us.

Julie

Post by Julie » Sun Mar 11, 2018 9:30 am

Air Mini's are noisy I've heard.

Taheerah

Post by Taheerah » Sun Mar 11, 2018 10:04 am

Oh that is good to know! You know I am not good with noise. :-) I hope we can find a way for my dh to use it when travelling too. One step of a time.

Goofproof

Post by Goofproof » Sun Mar 11, 2018 12:25 pm

Taheerah wrote:
Sun Mar 11, 2018 8:20 am
I totally agree with you. I will have a serious talk with him and I hope that he will finally get used to the machine so he will always wear it.

I am trying very hard to make it all as comfortable as possible for him by hopefully buying the snuggle hose and nose pads etc.
I don't see how that will help if he doesn't take or use the machine. Maybe duct tape his machine to his baggage. Set him down and have him get a Life Ins Plan payable to you for $1,000,00.00 to cover providing for his family. Jim
Use data to optimize your xPAP treatment!

"The art of medicine consists in amusing the patient while nature cures the disease." Voltaire

D.H.

Post by D.H. » Sun Mar 11, 2018 3:18 pm

The issue is getting him comfortable with the machine and especially with the mask. You might want to analyze the mask fit and the AHI. The mask fit should be as close to 100% as possible and the AHI as close to zero as possible. That doesn't mean that 90% fit and 4 AHI are bad, so don't obsess if you're a bit short. Those are "prefect" numbers and we don't live in a "perfect" world!

In general the best fitting mask (i.e. least leaky) will be the most comfortable. Also, the lowest possible AHI will make him fell the best as a general rule.

rcobourn

Post by rcobourn » Sun Mar 11, 2018 4:07 pm

The AirMini is slightly noisier than an S9, and the noise has a slightly higher pitch. I got used to it easily.

Thomas F.

Post by Thomas F. » Mon Mar 12, 2018 1:51 pm

your husband seems like a good fit for this approach.... please click on link for flowchart

viewtopic/t165256/Possible-Flowchart-to ... ccess.html
Had UPPP and Hyoid Advancement Surgery on 10/29/2010.
midline glossectomy surgery using Da vinci robot 2/2014.
Straight CPAP 4.8 pressure

palerider

Post by palerider » Mon Mar 12, 2018 5:52 pm

Thomas F. wrote:
Mon Mar 12, 2018 1:51 pm
your husband seems like a good fit for this approach.... please click on link for flowchart

No, don't do that.

Accounts to put on the foe list: dataq1, clownbell, gearchange, lynninnj, mper!?, DreamDiver, Geer1, almostadoctor, sleepgeek, ajack, stom, mogy, D.H., They often post misleading, timewasting stuff.

jennmary

Post by jennmary » Tue Mar 13, 2018 1:07 am

palerider wrote:
Mon Mar 12, 2018 5:52 pm
Thomas F. wrote:
Mon Mar 12, 2018 1:51 pm

No, don't do that.
Agreed. Don't.