CPAP Noise is back

General Discussion on any topic relating to CPAP and/or Sleep Apnea.
Taheerah

Re: CPAP Noise is back

Post by Taheerah » Sun Mar 11, 2018 7:48 am

Thanks so much Pugsy, that is good to know. We will experiment with it all to see if it works.

Last night I could feel a vibrating snore that kept me awake again. Do you have any suggestion what I could do?

We increased the pressure from 14-20 already. Its been 1 year and we still didn't get used to it which is worrying me.

Pugsy

Post by Pugsy » Sun Mar 11, 2018 8:07 am

I have no idea how to help your sleep...you are apparently extremely sensitive to the least little sounds from your husband's machine or his snoring....which is apparently minimal and he sleeps through it all.

I wish you had got a ResMed AirSense 10 AutoSet machine...it's quieter and more responsive to those minimal snores.
For most people the Respironics machines are quiet enough...but for people (either the cpap user or the spouse) who are extra sensitive to anything then I think the ResMed machine is maybe a better choice.

I have used both brands..so I have personal experience with both brands and I think the ResMed responds faster and is a bit more quiet with the motor noise.

If you want to try the Eclipse mask and want a special promo code to get a little off the price...send me a private message.

Taheerah

Post by Taheerah » Sun Mar 11, 2018 8:19 am

Thanks Pugsy, I also don't know how we can sort this out. I am not giving up though, and I will try our humidifier as a white noise hoping that it will help me to be able to sleep though these snores.

Do you think we should experiment with the pressure at all?

It's good to know that the ResMed Airsense is quieter. It might be worth investing in whenever we are due for a new devise. I have a feeling that they don't have a great choice of machines and masks here as we didn't really get a lot to choose from. It might be better to make the next purchase in Europe or the US to be able to try different products.

Pugsy

Post by Pugsy » Sun Mar 11, 2018 8:25 am

You can get a ResMed machine right now if you want and are willing to pay for it.
Secondwindcpap.com will sell it to you and ship to you wherever you are in the world.

No...I don't see anything in the current settings to tweak that would maybe help. Sorry.
He's sleeping fine...you aren't and his reports don't point to massive snores or anything that urgently needs fixing.
What I see is a spouse who is extremely sensitive to the least little thing and I don't know how to fix you. :lol:

If you want to try the Eclipse mask and want a special promo code to get a little off the price...send me a private message.

Taheerah

Post by Taheerah » Sun Mar 11, 2018 8:34 am

Haha. That is unfortunately true. I have always been a light sleeper but I do sleep well when alone. I will try my very best to find ways to get used to it though, as I don't like sleeping in separate rooms and I really want this to work for us both.

In terms of buying a new machine, I think it is best to wait as I doubt that my dh will be happy about spending money on a new one right now.

Barb (Seattle)

Post by Barb (Seattle) » Sun Mar 11, 2018 9:13 am

I need to clarify. I keep the foam one in, just don't add the extra filter that snaps on.

I can't use it, the squeal keeps me awake :?
USED to be on DreamStation..now on S9 VPAP ADAPT
21 years on CPAP

Mirage Quattro Air Small

Barb (Seattle)

Post by Barb (Seattle) » Sun Mar 11, 2018 9:16 am

Last edited by Barb (Seattle) on Sun Mar 11, 2018 9:17 am, edited 1 time in total.
21 years on CPAP

Mirage Quattro Air Small

Taheerah

Post by Taheerah » Sun Mar 11, 2018 9:17 am

Thanks Barb, that is great to know.

So it is safe to take out the small light blue filter that clicks into it?

Barb (Seattle)

Post by Barb (Seattle) » Sun Mar 11, 2018 9:19 am

I don't use it. I can't. Too noisy lol I had the idea though that it was for a dusty area as added protection?

maybe someone else knows more :)
21 years on CPAP

Mirage Quattro Air Small

Barb (Seattle)

Post by Barb (Seattle) » Sun Mar 11, 2018 9:24 am

found this googling and it gave me a chuckle.

some CPAP machines have such small intake openings that an unwary mosquito may get sucked in if there is no filter.) After all, people who sleep without CPAP do not wear filters in their noses.
21 years on CPAP

Mirage Quattro Air Small

Pugsy

Post by Pugsy » Sun Mar 11, 2018 9:28 am

With Respironics machines..

The foam filter that is gray/black and obviously foam...it's not optional...it needs to be used at all times.

What is optional is the white fine filter that is separate from the foam filter.

Taheerah

Post by Taheerah » Sun Mar 11, 2018 9:30 am

lol. Especially for us who sleep with an open mouth. I know I do. :D

Let's see what everyone else says. How often do we have to replace the filter by the way? I really wish we would have been briefed to begin with.

Over here, it is impossible to get all the information from the physicians. It is like a very grey area unfortunately.

Taheerah

Post by Taheerah » Sun Mar 11, 2018 9:31 am

We have a dark blue big filter and a light blue smaller one attached to it. I am guessing that the bigger one is the foam filter?

Pugsy

Post by Pugsy » Sun Mar 11, 2018 9:36 am

The gray foam filter...I just washed it once a month...it can be used for many, many months before it needs to be replaced...like maybe a couple of years. You will know when it starts to degrade and fall apart.

The white fine filters...I replaced once a month or whenever they started getting yucky looking and not white.
How long those can be used will vary depending on environment.
I know people using one and it lasts 6 months...and mine barely last 1 month but then my house is about 70 years old...old furnace...dust in vents...pets in house...live out in the country where things are just dusty in general.

Yes...the bigger filter is the foam filter. Should be quite obvious.
With my Respironics machines the filters were
foam...gray/black
fine filter...white

Soothest Sleep

Post by Soothest Sleep » Sun Mar 11, 2018 9:52 am

Taheerah wrote:
Sun Mar 11, 2018 9:30 am
How often do we have to replace the filter by the way? I really wish we would have been briefed to begin with.
Were you given the user manual with the machine? Page 24 gives information about cleaning/replacing the filters.

Briefly, the reusable filter can be cleaned: detach the ultrafine (light blue frame) filter from it and set that aside, flip the reusable filter upside down and run warm tap water through it. Shake off excess water and let filter dry completely before returning to machine. Do this at least every 2 weeks; recommended replacement of this filter is every 6 months, although I've been using mine for 16 months now. Check the ultrafine filter for tears or dirt. Don't clean it; it will disintegrate. Replace the ultrafine filter if necessary and dispose of the old one.

The machine will give you a reminder every 30 days to check filters and replace if necessary. The light on top of the on/off bar will flash slowly; press the round button/dial to view the reminder notice on the LCD screen, then press again to clear the message.

Pugsy, FYI, the Respironics foam filters are now white (in darker blue frame); I don't know about generic brands made to fit, as I don't use them.

Jean
O soft embalmer of the still midnight,
Shutting, with careful fingers and benign,
Our gloom-pleas'd eyes, embower'd from the light,
Enshaded in forgetfulness divine
-- John Keats