UNSATISFACTORY AIR HOSES

General Discussion on any topic relating to CPAP and/or Sleep Apnea.
chunkyfrog
Location: Nebraska--I am sworn to keep the secret of this paradise.

Re: UNSATISFACTORY AIR HOSES

Post by chunkyfrog » Wed Nov 16, 2016 10:31 am

A hairdryer would be less risky than a HEAT GUN.
Those things will set FIRES!

archangle

Post by archangle » Wed Nov 16, 2016 10:43 am

The end of air hoses fits over my kitchen sink faucet. I use it to rinse the hoses when cleaning. I've found if I run hot water through it for long enough, the hoses get less kinky.

You can get genuine Respironics air hoses pretty cheaply online, or through eBay.

Please enter your equipment in your profile so we can help you.
Click here for information on the most common alternative to CPAP.
If it's midnight and a DME tells you it's dark outside, go and check for yourself.

Useful Links.

KAldridge

Post by KAldridge » Fri Mar 09, 2018 5:47 pm

Oh, my goodness!! Thank you to whoever suggested the dryer for a stiff hose! I recently replaced mine and the new one was heavier and thicker and stiff as a board! I thought I would just have to wrestle with it (soaking in warm water did nothing!), but someone suggested throwing it in the dryer. Two minutes on delicate cycle and it's soft and supple! Although I always throw my plastic shower curtain in there for a few minutes after washing it--to remove excess water and smooth out the wrinkles, I never would have thought of it for my hose! Thank you so much!

palerider

Post by palerider » Fri Mar 09, 2018 7:24 pm

KAldridge wrote:
Fri Mar 09, 2018 5:47 pm
Oh, my goodness!! Thank you to whoever suggested the dryer for a stiff hose! I recently replaced mine and the new one was heavier and thicker and stiff as a board! I thought I would just have to wrestle with it (soaking in warm water did nothing!), but someone suggested throwing it in the dryer. Two minutes on delicate cycle and it's soft and supple! Although I always throw my plastic shower curtain in there for a few minutes after washing it--to remove excess water and smooth out the wrinkles, I never would have thought of it for my hose! Thank you so much!
That was me, and since my initial post, I've used the dryer on a couple of cpap hoses... don't do it for too long, but yeah, it works.

Accounts to put on the foe list: dataq1, clownbell, gearchange, lynninnj, mper!?, DreamDiver, Geer1, almostadoctor, sleepgeek, ajack, stom, mogy, D.H., They often post misleading, timewasting stuff.

SewTired

Post by SewTired » Sun Mar 11, 2018 12:47 pm

I wonder if in fact you received a Resmed hose? Sounds more like a knock off. I have Resmed slimline hoses that are 3 years old and they are still very supple. I had to buy them from an online supplier because the DME will only give you knock-offs unless you get the heated hose.

Airsense For Her; Settings: range 8-12, Airfit P10 (M)

Goofproof

Post by Goofproof » Sun Mar 11, 2018 1:21 pm

SewTired wrote:
Sun Mar 11, 2018 12:47 pm
I wonder if in fact you received a Resmed hose? Sounds more like a knock off. I have Resmed slimline hoses that are 3 years old and they are still very supple. I had to buy them from an online supplier because the DME will only give you knock-offs unless you get the heated hose.
The only unsatisfactory XPAP I ever saw had more than two holes in it, my SPEC's must be wrong. Jim
Use data to optimize your xPAP treatment!

"The art of medicine consists in amusing the patient while nature cures the disease." Voltaire

ChicagoGranny

Post by ChicagoGranny » Sun Mar 11, 2018 2:15 pm

SewTired wrote:
Are you talking about slimline hoses? I have only ResMed slimline hoses, and they are not at all supple.

LSAT

Post by LSAT » Sun Mar 11, 2018 5:38 pm

SewTired wrote:
My DME gave me ResMed Hose and...I agree with CG. They are not "supple".

Pugsy

Post by Pugsy » Sun Mar 11, 2018 6:00 pm

LSAT wrote:
Sun Mar 11, 2018 5:38 pm
My DME gave me ResMed Hose and...I agree with CG. They are not "supple".
I would have to agree...even name brand isn't necessarily "supple" fresh out of the package but I will say that off brand is even less "supple". :lol:
ResMed hoses that are name brand seem to "loosen up" and become more flexible over time and more quickly than generic no brand hoses.

If you want to try the Eclipse mask and want a special promo code to get a little off the price...send me a private message.

palerider

Post by palerider » Sun Mar 11, 2018 6:10 pm

Pugsy wrote:
Sun Mar 11, 2018 6:00 pm
ame brand seem to "loosen up" and become more flexible over time and more quickly than generic no brand hoses.
Or after a couple minutes in the dryer ;)

Accounts to put on the foe list: dataq1, clownbell, gearchange, lynninnj, mper!?, DreamDiver, Geer1, almostadoctor, sleepgeek, ajack, stom, mogy, D.H., They often post misleading, timewasting stuff.

Pugsy

Post by Pugsy » Sun Mar 11, 2018 6:24 pm

palerider wrote:
Sun Mar 11, 2018 6:10 pm
Yep and I was thinking that but forgot to type it. I had to go feed the horses and my mind got side tracked.

If I had a hose that wouldn't cooperate ....it would go in the dryer for just a little bit of time at low heat.

If you want to try the Eclipse mask and want a special promo code to get a little off the price...send me a private message.

palerider

Post by palerider » Sun Mar 11, 2018 7:03 pm

Pugsy wrote:
Sun Mar 11, 2018 6:24 pm
palerider wrote:
Sun Mar 11, 2018 6:10 pm
Yep and I was thinking that but forgot to type it. I had to go feed the horses and my mind got side tracked.

If I had a hose that wouldn't cooperate ....it would go in the dryer for just a little bit of time at low heat.
I was brave(foolish)? and threw in a new one for a couple minutes on high... I'd probably go for a little less, and check it often, but it came out ok...

The stiff one is a 'before' and the uninterested one the 'after'. (I'd bought a couple spare 10 foot hoses, gave one a spin, and kept the other out for comparison purposes.)

Twice now, the 10 foot one has come in handy when I was in the OR for some minor procedure, and used my spare cpap when they weren't doing full anesthesia. .. the extra hose length let them get the machine out of the way.

Pugsy

Post by Pugsy » Sun Mar 11, 2018 7:13 pm

palerider wrote:
Sun Mar 11, 2018 7:03 pm
I was brave(foolish)? and threw in a new one for a couple minutes on high
I would start with low heat and just add more time as needed...I wouldn't want to risk melting my $40 ClimateLine. :lol: :lol:
Now if I had a cheap $6 hose...might not lean towards the extra caution.
Remember I am the dummy who dropped the water chamber and broke it and that was just a fall of maybe 3 feet max...Murphy's Law...if the least little boo boo can screw something up or break it or melt it...guaranteed to happen to me.

palerider

Post by palerider » Sun Mar 11, 2018 8:33 pm

Pugsy wrote:
Sun Mar 11, 2018 7:13 pm
palerider wrote:
Sun Mar 11, 2018 7:03 pm
I was brave(foolish)? and threw in a new one for a couple minutes on high
I would start with low heat and just add more time as needed...I wouldn't want to risk melting my $40 ClimateLine. :lol: :lol:
Now if I had a cheap $6 hose...might not lean towards the extra caution.
Remember I am the dummy who dropped the water chamber and broke it and that was just a fall of maybe 3 feet max...Murphy's Law...if the least little boo boo can screw something up or break it or melt it...guaranteed to happen to me.
I DID SAY FOOLISH!!! :D

But, yeah, if it were a spendy hose, I'd be more careful... but this was a 10$ 10 foot hose... and I had another one

SnoringInOregon

Post by SnoringInOregon » Tue Mar 13, 2018 11:28 am

Yeah, the stiffness of my "name brand" Respironics hoses has varied from sample to sample. It's a bit annoying.

Another problem, which the DME guy agreed with, is that they are delicate. They can develop small leaks at the ends where the transparent hose material transitions into the hard end pieces. Watch out for that. The size of the leak hole can vary as the hose is flexed. The SleepStation can easily compensate for a small leak, so it's more of an annoyance than a serious concern. You don't necessarily need to see it, if you listen to the hose at that point you might be able to hear the air leak.

I used electrical tape to fix mine the first time it happened. Which in retrospect I think was a mistake, because I certainly don't want the glue and other residue from the tape in my cleaning bowl when I wash my hose.