New machine freaking out on me

General Discussion on any topic relating to CPAP and/or Sleep Apnea.
sleepingBear

New machine freaking out on me

Post by sleepingBear » Sun Mar 11, 2018 4:44 pm

Hello,

I could use some advice. A little background since I almost never post anywhere. I've been 100% compliant for a little over 10 years, this is my 4th's machine and overall I've done well until this week. for the past 5+ years I've used a System One Auto set 10-20 C-flex 2, heated Humid and hose. My AHI is usually between .5 and 1.5 with few exceptions, my 5 year 90% pressure is 10.6 with a few peaks each night up to about 14 and in the past 5 years I've felt good and I'm an APAP believer.
I have a little over 5 years data in sleepyhead (unfortunately had a laptop crash and lost the first 5 years of data)

Here are a couple of screen shots from sleepyhead.

Feb26 is a typical night on my System One
Feb26.jpg
Feb26.jpg (133.45 KiB) Viewed 1029 times
March 7 I received a new DreamStation APAP and therapy started going down hill

Mar7.jpg
Mar7.jpg (139.27 KiB) Viewed 1029 times
The 8th and 9th were miserable

mar8.jpg
mar8.jpg (138.39 KiB) Viewed 1029 times

Additional Comments: SleepyHead Software, previous machines Remstar PR System One 60 Series Auto, Remstar Auto M

sleepingBear

Re: New machine freaking out on me

Post by sleepingBear » Sun Mar 11, 2018 4:53 pm

Mar 9th was also terrible
Mar9.jpg
Mar9.jpg (136.72 KiB) Viewed 1023 times
on the 10th I changed all my settings to match my System One, but limited the max pressure because it high pressure has been very uncomfortable. (I forgot to mention I'm using a Swift FX nasal pillows for my mask, same mask for at least 3 years)
Mar10A.jpg
Mar10A.jpg (137.86 KiB) Viewed 1023 times
I slept for 3 hrs 20 minutes before I could not take it anymore, I got up and switched back to my System One (same mask and hose, just unhooked from one machine and plugged into the Only one)
Mar10B.jpg
Mar10B.jpg (134.71 KiB) Viewed 1023 times
Thankfully I slept well the rest of the night on the System One.

Tonight I will be using my System One.

Tomorrow I'll call my DME, as I think the machine is malfunctioning

but I was curious what people think of these graphs? and if anyone has any suggestions?

In over 10 years on the hose I have never had issues like this and have never had such a bad time sleeping on the APAP.

Additional Comments: SleepyHead Software, previous machines Remstar PR System One 60 Series Auto, Remstar Auto M

Pugsy

Post by Pugsy » Sun Mar 11, 2018 4:56 pm

No suggestions as to what to do with the DreamStation except take it back to the DME.
My first suspect is a faulty sensor of some sort. I have seen this kind of response before and it was a bad machine. Something wrong on the inside.

If you want to try the Eclipse mask and want a special promo code to get a little off the price...send me a private message.

sleepingBear

Post by sleepingBear » Sun Mar 11, 2018 5:39 pm

Thanks Pugsy, the first couple of nights I chalked it up to new machine (new algorithm) but all my research say's the algorithms are the same.

Can anyone verify they are the same algorithm?

but after last night and switching back in the middle of the night makes think a faulty machine. Hopefully the DME won't give me a mard time about replacing the machine.

I have to say that the DreamMapper app is a complete joke, I was hopeful that I since teh machine has bluetooth and wifi that i wouldn't have to pull the card all the time, but no such luck (it's annoying to me that all this data is available wirelessly, but we can't get it. thankfully we still have Sleepyhead and SD cards :)

Again Thanks Pugsy for all you do to help everyone, over the years anytime I've had an issue or question I've been able to find the answers on this forum, it's a great resource.

Pugsy

Post by Pugsy » Sun Mar 11, 2018 5:55 pm

The algorithms didn't change.
I can confirm that fact.

There's something that goes wrong with the sensors and that's why you see such a truck load of VS2 snores with the DreamStation and not the System One. The sensors are telling the machine that it needs to go god awful high to kill whatever is causing the snores but the snores aren't real but instead are a by product of something being screwed up inside the machine.

You got a lemon.

See if you can get them to give you the ResMed AirSense 10 AutoSet...much fewer lemons in that brand and model. :lol: :lol:

If you want to try the Eclipse mask and want a special promo code to get a little off the price...send me a private message.

sleepingBear

Post by sleepingBear » Sun Mar 11, 2018 6:22 pm

Thanks for confirming the algorithm's are the same.

the sensor issue makes perfect sense and does seem like what's happening.

my very first machine was a ResMed (I don't recall the model), I don't recall what the problem with it was, but I had a real hard time with it, so they switched me to a Remstar Auto M and and I took to that instantly, since then I've had 2 Model M's and then the System One. My Dr usually prescribes the ResMed, but I thought (and she agreed) that since I'd been so tolerant of the machine and done so well for so long that it made the most sense to stick with what works. but boy has this week brought that into question.

I looked at the ResMed machines, but I also don't like that they are 24v DC where as the Respironics are 12v DC.

Pugsy

Post by Pugsy » Sun Mar 11, 2018 6:31 pm

Lemons can happen with any brand but seems like I see more Respironics lemons than ResMed lemons.

Anyway, don't blame you if you want to stay with the algorithm that you know works well for you but I will tell you that the ResMed new algorithm now (it got changed with the S9 models) is totally different than what you probably tried some years ago.
Maybe see if your DME will let you try one and see if you like it better now?

Of course that doesn't change the 24 volt vs 12 volt thing....and I don't blame you if you like to do a lot of camping because the converter for the ResMed costs about $90 I think.

And I do know that there are a few people who have used both brands and do end up preferring one brand over another for any number of reasons and that's fine.
I have used both brands and in fact my very first machine was a M series Auto cpap with CFlex and then I got a slightly newer one with AFlex. I liked AFlex a lot better than CFlex.
Over the years I have tried several models in both Respironics and ResMed and I ended up preferring the algorithm of the ResMed..it suits my needs better but I totally understand that for some people the Respironics algorithm suits their needs better.

Good luck tomorrow with the DME...

MrsRinPDX

Post by MrsRinPDX » Sun Mar 11, 2018 8:07 pm

Interesting that you posted this. It must be a quality control problem.

My DreamStation is just about 4 months old and my doctor's office thinks a sensor has broken on my BiPAP. It is not reporting all of the data. Working fine one day and then not the next. It is not the card, it is not the cellular modem. After investigating, Philips believes it is the actual machine, and will probably be sending out a new one next week.

Additional Comments: Pressures: IPAP 18/ EPAP 14; Secondary mask - Nuance Pro Nasal Pillow

sleepingBear

Post by sleepingBear » Mon Mar 12, 2018 10:22 am

I called my DME this morning, they took a look at my data and said "it looks good to us, it looks like the machine is working properly", they don't see any problems except that Saturday night I only used it for 3hr20 minutes.

After much discussion and me telling them I flat out will not use the machine again, they finally relented and I have an appointment with the RT tomorrow morning to look at the machine.

I think I'll bring my laptop to show all of my data since all they are looking at is half a week on this new machine and they fell that those numbers are good.

Why is it always a fight with DME's?

Thankfully with Sleepyhead we can read our own data, I feel bad for anyone that has to rely on the DME's reading the data and providing feedback.

I would also return my machine if it didn't reliably collect the data.

MrsRinPDX

Post by MrsRinPDX » Mon Mar 12, 2018 10:54 am

sleepingBear wrote:
Mon Mar 12, 2018 10:22 am
I called my DME this morning, they took a look at my data and said "it looks good to us, it looks like the machine is working properly", they don't see any problems except that Saturday night I only used it for 3hr20 minutes.

After much discussion and me telling them I flat out will not use the machine again, they finally relented and I have an appointment with the RT tomorrow morning to look at the machine. ...
Good Job!

Additional Comments: Pressures: IPAP 18/ EPAP 14; Secondary mask - Nuance Pro Nasal Pillow

Matt00926

Post by Matt00926 » Mon Mar 12, 2018 11:58 am

I noticed on earlier charts you were using a pressure range of min 10, max 20. Then later on, corresponding with a higher AHI, you were using 8-20, and then for whatever reason 8-17.

Did you try using 10-20 like you were originally?

I don't think it would matter that much, I think there is something wrong with your machine. Worth a shot though.
Machine: ResMed AirCurve 10 ST
Mask: Fisher & Paykel Simplus FFM

ChicagoGranny

Post by ChicagoGranny » Mon Mar 12, 2018 12:23 pm

sleepingBear wrote:
Mon Mar 12, 2018 10:22 am
I called my DME this morning, they took a look at my data and said "it looks good to us, it looks like the machine is working properly",
"The fan is working. What are you complaining about?"

D.H.

Post by D.H. » Mon Mar 12, 2018 2:21 pm

Matt00926 wrote:
Mon Mar 12, 2018 11:58 am
I noticed on earlier charts you were using a pressure range of min 10, max 20. Then later on, corresponding with a higher AHI, you were using 8-20, and then for whatever reason 8-17.

Did you try using 10-20 like you were originally?

I don't think it would matter that much, I think there is something wrong with your machine. Worth a shot though.
I won't say that this is likely the problem. However, it is the thing that's obliviously different, so try making that the same.

sleepingBear

Post by sleepingBear » Mon Mar 12, 2018 6:22 pm

I limited the max setting because my chest hurt after spending the night at 17, I looked back through the past years data and saw that i rarely ever got up to 15, so I set that the final night I used the machine trying to limit the max pressure.

Last night i used my system one all night and I feel so much better today and as the data shows I slept well and as usual I had periodic spikes to around 12, then it drops back to 10, for me it's just not normal to have the pressure go so high and stay there.

Breathing not detected for 10-15 minutes at a time is also not right, I would not be posting if I hadn't been breathing for 10 minutes :)
Mar11.jpg
Mar11.jpg (181.03 KiB) Viewed 884 times

MrsRinPDX

Post by MrsRinPDX » Mon Mar 12, 2018 6:33 pm

sleepingBear wrote:
Mon Mar 12, 2018 6:22 pm
Breathing not detected for 10-15 minutes at a time is also not right, I would not be posting if I hadn't been breathing for 10 minutes :)

Mar11.jpg
That is exactly what my faulty machine is doing. No breathing volume detected at all. Like dropping off a cliff. Must be a sensor.