Took off the Humidifier

General Discussion on any topic relating to CPAP and/or Sleep Apnea.
jamisonra

Took off the Humidifier

Post by jamisonra » Mon Mar 12, 2018 9:32 am

I have been having a cough since I got on the CPAP machine about a month ago. I went to the doctor and had a mild case of broncidis (I can't spell). It has not cleared up so I took off the humidifier in hopes of having a dryer air for a few days and see what happens. It just seems to me that to much humid air in your lungs may not be so good. Do any of you go without the humid air?

Mikebear

Re: Took off the Humidifier

Post by Mikebear » Mon Mar 12, 2018 9:34 am

jamisonra wrote:
Mon Mar 12, 2018 9:32 am
I have been having a cough since I got on the CPAP machine about a month ago. I went to the doctor and had a mild case of broncidis (I can't spell). It has not cleared up so I took off the humidifier in hopes of having a dryer air for a few days and see what happens. It just seems to me that to much humid air in your lungs may not be so good. Do any of you go without the humid air?
I have the chronic bronchitis form of COPD, and I do not use a humidifier even though I've been on cpap for 20 years. I've tried a few times, but it's always been bad/makes things worse when I'm having active bronchitis issues. Drier colder air works much better for me.

Barbee

Post by Barbee » Mon Mar 12, 2018 9:57 am

jamisonra wrote:
I have chronic bronchitis and allergies and use the humidifier. I used to cough all night before cpap. Now my cough is pretty much gone. I think we all must react differently.

Mikebear

Post by Mikebear » Mon Mar 12, 2018 10:40 am

Barbee wrote:
Mon Mar 12, 2018 9:57 am
jamisonra wrote:
I have chronic bronchitis and allergies and use the humidifier. I used to cough all night before cpap. Now my cough is pretty much gone. I think we all must react differently.
What settings and temp are you using for your humidifier? Do you also have a heated hose? Maybe it's time for me to try again, now that I have an Airsense 10 Autoset machine instead of my old brick cpap machine.

booksfan

Post by booksfan » Mon Mar 12, 2018 12:36 pm

I agree that everyone is different. My husband (CPAP user for 10+ years) NEVER uses the humifier. I, on the other hand (started on CPAP mid-January), use it every night. I have terrible allergies and had septal/turbinate surgery in August. I find it much more comfortable.

Mask: Bleep Eclipse/Halos
Machine: ResMed AirSense 11 AutoSet

jamisonra

Post by jamisonra » Mon Mar 12, 2018 12:38 pm

The settings for the humidifier was at 2. (It only gave 1,2, or 3.) No, I do not have a heated hose.
I feel the cooler air was nice last night but the noice level of my breathing went up, if that makes sense.

Goofproof

Post by Goofproof » Mon Mar 12, 2018 12:45 pm

I stopped using the HH about 3 years ago, no need for it, don't use one the other 16 hours I'm awake. Find what you need, and use what you need, I'd suspect many people who use it can get by without it. I can see those using nasal masks and or mouthbreathing needing it, but stopping mouthbreathing would be a much better solution. Jim
Use data to optimize your xPAP treatment!

"The art of medicine consists in amusing the patient while nature cures the disease." Voltaire

Barbee

Post by Barbee » Mon Mar 12, 2018 12:57 pm

Mikebear wrote:
Mon Mar 12, 2018 10:40 am
Barbee wrote:
jamisonra wrote:
What settings and temp are you using for your humidifier? Do you also have a heated hose? Maybe it's time for me to try again, now that I have an Airsense 10 Autoset machine instead of my old brick cpap machine.
My humidity is set to 5 and heated hose is at 79.

ChicagoGranny

Post by ChicagoGranny » Mon Mar 12, 2018 1:06 pm

jamisonra wrote:
Do any of you go without the humid air?
I don't use a CPAP humidifier. What climate are you in, and what is your bedroom temperature?

jamisonra

Post by jamisonra » Mon Mar 12, 2018 1:42 pm

ChicagoGranny wrote:
Mon Mar 12, 2018 1:06 pm
jamisonra wrote:
Do any of you go without the humid air?
I don't use a CPAP humidifier. What climate are you in, and what is your bedroom temperature?
i live in western TN. In the summer humidity is HIGH. Our bedroom is around 65 with ceiling fan going. I am a mouth breather and use a FF mask.

BTS

Post by BTS » Mon Mar 12, 2018 1:51 pm

Barbee wrote:
Mon Mar 12, 2018 12:57 pm
Mikebear wrote:
Mon Mar 12, 2018 10:40 am
Barbee wrote:
jamisonra wrote:
My humidity is set to 5 and heated hose is at 79.
Those are my settings as well and it serves well, I have chronic bronchitis also and find this helps with sleep a lot more... Each person is different. :)

ChicagoGranny

Post by ChicagoGranny » Mon Mar 12, 2018 2:07 pm

jamisonra wrote:
Mon Mar 12, 2018 1:42 pm
i live in western TN. In the summer humidity is HIGH. Our bedroom is around 65 with ceiling fan going. I am a mouth breather and use a FF mask.
If your nasal passages aren't dry, you probably don't need the humidifier. Could your cough be due to early spring pollens? Not sure what the weather has been like in Tennessee.

D.H.

Post by D.H. » Mon Mar 12, 2018 2:17 pm

Whatever works best for you is fine. Try it both ways. If neither is good, try a compromise (humidifier with a lower stetting).

palerider

Post by palerider » Mon Mar 12, 2018 5:50 pm

jamisonra wrote:
. It just seems to me that to much humid air in your lungs may not be so good.
You'd be very wrong about that. One of the primary functions of your nose is to humidify the air you breath... your lungs are a very wet environment, you can see it every time you exhale in cold weather, there's a lot of humidity in the air you breath out. That's why you can breath on a mirror and fog it up. If your lungs aren't damp enough, they HURT and don't perform gas exchange like they should.
jamisonra wrote:
. Do any of you go without the humid air?
I normally don't put any water in my humidifier, About the only time I DO put water in (and turn it on) is when I'm sick, sinus problems, cough, chest cold, bronchitis, etc. the added moisture helps to loosen up the crud, and helps me sleep better, much like the effect of taking a steamy hot shower, except all night long.

Accounts to put on the foe list: dataq1, clownbell, gearchange, lynninnj, mper!?, DreamDiver, Geer1, almostadoctor, sleepgeek, ajack, stom, mogy, D.H., They often post misleading, timewasting stuff.