Am I the only one who thinks DreamWear nasal mask isn’t good, because....

General Discussion on any topic relating to CPAP and/or Sleep Apnea.
cub4bearin

Am I the only one who thinks DreamWear nasal mask isn’t good, because....

Post by cub4bearin » Mon Mar 12, 2018 10:36 am

... because I’m a sides sleeper and when I lay on either side of my face, the pressure from my face is blocking the air tube on that side, which totally change air pressure in the mask around the head and:
1. It can wake me up, because I can feel not enough air getting thru (usually the side with pressure on)
2. Make my resmed airsense ramp up the pressure higher because of blockage from my face of the air tube

Two things I should mention: using CPAP pillow doesn’t help, and probably makes it worst because of firmness of the pillow.
Sometimes, I will wake up sleeping on side of my hand/arm tucked under my face, and that is causing blockage as well.

I wanted to use this mask as my backup, but looks like another one bites the dust.

Ps. Before getting CPAP pillow, this happened as well, but wasn’t as severe due to using regular pillows (unless I was sleeping on my arm/hand). But then I would knock the nasal pillow out of alligment with my nostrils.

What’s your experience?

cliffspab

Re: Am I the only one who thinks DreamWear nasal mask isn’t good, because....

Post by cliffspab » Mon Mar 12, 2018 10:41 am

I love it. Only mask I've been able to use as a side sleeper. It's designed so the pressure stays constant even if you constrict one side of the airflow.

Cardsfan

Post by Cardsfan » Mon Mar 12, 2018 10:42 am

I couldn't make the dreamwear work either. Felt like I had a big hard knot on top of my head. Plus, on my side, the nose cushion dislodged.

Pugsy

Post by Pugsy » Mon Mar 12, 2018 10:42 am

I sleep primarily on my side.
Never had a problem with the DreamWear causing problems with the air flow/pressure.
Even with the recent experiment with the full face mask version of this mask.

This is just another example of that YMMV sticker that comes on all this cpap stuff.

If you want to try the Eclipse mask and want a special promo code to get a little off the price...send me a private message.

cub4bearin

Post by cub4bearin » Mon Mar 12, 2018 10:44 am

cliffspab wrote:
Mon Mar 12, 2018 10:41 am
I love it. Only mask I've been able to use as a side sleeper. It's designed so the pressure stays constant even if you constrict one side of the airflow.
Unfortunately not my experience. Pressure change if you block either side of the tubes, which I can feel.
But, glad it’s working for you.

booksfan

Post by booksfan » Mon Mar 12, 2018 12:32 pm

This was the first mask I tried and it didn't work for me. The exhaust valve on top of my head pulled on my hair and the nasal cushion leaked badly.

With more experience under my belt, I plan to try it again. I will jerry rig some kind of liner under the exhaust on top of my head to prevent hair pulling and will use the gel nasal cushions this time. Hopefully it will work better this time. :)

Mask: Bleep Eclipse/Halos
Machine: ResMed AirSense 11 AutoSet

Mikebear

Post by Mikebear » Mon Mar 12, 2018 3:03 pm

booksfan wrote:
Mon Mar 12, 2018 12:32 pm
This was the first mask I tried and it didn't work for me. The exhaust valve on top of my head pulled on my hair and the nasal cushion leaked badly.

With more experience under my belt, I plan to try it again. I will jerry rig some kind of liner under the exhaust on top of my head to prevent hair pulling and will use the gel nasal cushions this time. Hopefully it will work better this time. :)
Are you aware you can now buy Gel Pillows to replace the old "nasal hole" cushions on this mask? Everything else stays the same, the Gel Pillow just replaces the old leaky hole cushion. IMO it's MUCH better than the original leaky holes...

booksfan

Post by booksfan » Mon Mar 12, 2018 3:20 pm

Mikebear wrote:
Mon Mar 12, 2018 3:03 pm
booksfan wrote:

Are you aware you can now buy Gel Pillows to replace the old "nasal hole" cushions on this mask? Everything else stays the same, the Gel Pillow just replaces the old leaky hole cushion. IMO it's MUCH better than the original leaky holes...
Yes, I am trying it again because of the gel pillows. I really like them on the Nuance Pro, so I thought I'd give it another go. Everything arrived this afternoon, so I am all set for tonight. I ordered the fit pack + the small frame (I have a small head) because it was WAY less expensive that way--silly, isn't that? :roll:

Mask: Bleep Eclipse/Halos
Machine: ResMed AirSense 11 AutoSet

loggerhead12

Post by loggerhead12 » Mon Mar 12, 2018 3:58 pm

cub4bearin wrote:
Mon Mar 12, 2018 10:36 am
. . . the pressure from my face is blocking the air tube on that side, which totally change air pressure in the mask around the head and:
1. It can wake me up, because I can feel not enough air getting thru (usually the side with pressure on)
2. Make my resmed airsense ramp up the pressure higher because of blockage from my face of the air tube

What’s your experience?
I use Dreamwear with nasal pillows exclusively and haven't experienced any of that. When the VAUTO wants to crank the pressure right up to 25 it has no trouble doing so, even with me sleeping on my side. It's designed that way - you can block either side without affecting pressure or airflow. The nostril openings are less than inch apart with no separation between them. Any pressure differential between them would be extremely small. It's more likely that you're experiencing fluid shift in your sinuses due to gravity, which will tend to swell the tissue and reduce airflow to whichever nostril is lower at the moment.

DavidY

Post by DavidY » Mon Mar 12, 2018 4:13 pm

Mikebear wrote:
booksfan wrote:

Do you know if the gel pillows are similar to the P10 nasal pillows? I got sores immediately after using the P10 mask.

I just got my DreamWear with cushions earlier today....really hope that they will work well tonight. My Eson2 were quite leaky when I was tossing and turning last night.

Dave

Mikebear

Post by Mikebear » Mon Mar 12, 2018 4:37 pm

DavidY wrote:
Mon Mar 12, 2018 4:13 pm
Mikebear wrote:
booksfan wrote:

Do you know if the gel pillows are similar to the P10 nasal pillows? I got sores immediately after using the P10 mask.

I just got my DreamWear with cushions earlier today....really hope that they will work well tonight. My Eson2 were quite leaky when I was tossing and turning last night.

Dave
I think they are softer than the Airfit P10. I first tried the medium size gel cushion, and quickly realized I needed the large size so it wouldn't try to climb inside my nostrils. I use this as one of my backup masks at the moment.

DavidY

Post by DavidY » Mon Mar 12, 2018 5:17 pm

Mikebear wrote:
Mon Mar 12, 2018 4:37 pm
DavidY wrote:
Mikebear wrote:
booksfan wrote:

Dave
I think they are softer than the Airfit P10. I first tried the medium size gel cushion, and quickly realized I needed the large size so it wouldn't try to climb inside my nostrils. I use this as one of my backup masks at the moment.
What is the equivalent P10 size to large in the gel version of the Dreamwear?

palerider

Post by palerider » Mon Mar 12, 2018 5:38 pm

cub4bearin wrote:
Mon Mar 12, 2018 10:36 am
Re: Am I the only one who thinks DreamWear nasal mask isn’t good...
No, but you're in the minority.

Accounts to put on the foe list: dataq1, clownbell, gearchange, lynninnj, mper!?, DreamDiver, Geer1, almostadoctor, sleepgeek, ajack, stom, mogy, D.H., They often post misleading, timewasting stuff.

Mikebear

Post by Mikebear » Mon Mar 12, 2018 6:01 pm

DavidY wrote:
Mon Mar 12, 2018 5:17 pm
Mikebear wrote:
Mon Mar 12, 2018 4:37 pm
DavidY wrote:
Mikebear wrote:
booksfan wrote:

Dave
What is the equivalent P10 size to large in the gel version of the Dreamwear?
The large Dreamwear Gel pillow is slightly larger than the P10 large pillow. You might as well think of them as the same size for fit sizing purposes.

Rob K

Post by Rob K » Mon Mar 12, 2018 6:10 pm

I think it is a good mask, but not for me. I have the older style. Really liked the top of the head hose connection. Had a lot of leaks when side sleeping though. The sides were somewhat rigid and would cause the nasal pillow to move a lot. Didn't want to use a cpap pillow so I looked elsewhere. P10 works real well for me except for the sore nose thing from the nasal pillows. Would like to try the new pillows for the Dreamwear. I'm sure they will work better than the old style.