Am I the only one who thinks DreamWear nasal mask isn’t good, because....

General Discussion on any topic relating to CPAP and/or Sleep Apnea.
Holden4th

Re: Am I the only one who thinks DreamWear nasal mask isn’t good, because....

Post by Holden4th » Tue Mar 13, 2018 3:55 am

It's the only mask for me. As a sidesleeper and one who moves around a lot in the night the hose at the top of the head allows me 360 degrees of rotation. I've used both the nasal mask and the pillows and think that the pillows are more effective for me. I'm interested in the new FF version which might be very useful when my nose blocks up which it does occasionally.

edatlanta

Post by edatlanta » Tue Mar 13, 2018 2:20 pm

I have only used the DreamWear mask so I don't have anything to compare it to, but after 28 days of use I have zero issues with it. Even my first night it caused no issues other than working nicely. I have tightened the strap up a little a time or two as it stretches after washing, but absolutely comfortable, no leaks and works fine. I have the medium head gear and use the small gel cushion.

If anyone would like the have the M and L cushions let me know. I would be happy to mail them to you.

I am a brand new CPAP user also with 28 days under my belt. Snoring stopped dead which pleases my wife.

DreamWear Nasal Pillow headgear with Arms

cub4bearin

Post by cub4bearin » Tue Mar 13, 2018 2:30 pm

Apparently I’m the only one who can easily replicate issues from my original post.
Yesterday, before bed I decided just for fun to use it for few minutes and test few different scenarios.

Large headgear with medium cushion. Resmed set at 8-12.

After pressing on left side of the tube with my finger, I could definitely feel air pressure restriction and it was very difficult to breath comfortable without feeling of suffocation.

When I did that to the right side of the headgear, it wasn’t so bad but noticeable.

Of course this is hardcore scenario, but sleeping on firm foam pillow (CPAP pillow) or on hand tucked under side your head, certainly can this to happen, in my case.

I’m happy for everyone else who do t experience this. Wish it wasn’t happening, because I like the idea of the mask, but it’s not working for me.

DavidY

Post by DavidY » Wed Mar 14, 2018 7:31 am

Only lasted a hour or so with my Dreamwear with small cushion. Noticed that it can be quite noisy. Seemed to work the best sleeping on my back. Headgear seemed to fall off when I tried to sleep on my side....medium frame might be too small. I have the fit pack. Even my standard Eson2 was not working last night. Slept the rest of the night off the APAP. 1st time in like 6 weeks since I started on APAP. :(

mw757

Post by mw757 » Wed Mar 14, 2018 11:22 am

If they can figure out how to diffuse the gel pillow vent as well as the P10, I’ll go back to using it.

booksfan

Post by booksfan » Wed Mar 14, 2018 1:04 pm

mw757 wrote:
Wed Mar 14, 2018 11:22 am
If they can figure out how to diffuse the gel pillow vent as well as the P10, I’ll go back to using it.
:lol: The diffuser on the P10 IS amazing!

Mask: Bleep Eclipse/Halos
Machine: ResMed AirSense 11 AutoSet

ejackson1200

DreamWear nasal mask is good, because....

Post by ejackson1200 » Wed Mar 14, 2018 6:49 pm

After two nights I had soreness under the nose and a pimple! (I'm 55 years old for goodness sake.) I added a cotton cloth cut from an old tee shirt to fit the design part against my face and cut out a very small area for the air. It works like a charm now. The cotton also decreases the leaking and resulting noise and air sensations.

I'm a side sleeper and switch sides allot at night due to back/hip discomfort, the fact it just swivels and I don't have to wake up and take it with me, roll with it, is great. I literally just have it hanging off the top of the bed.

I will say I only need a pressure of 4 to go from 50 some apneas down to what is usually less than 1 an hour.

edatlanta

Post by edatlanta » Thu Mar 15, 2018 2:46 am

edatlanta wrote:
Tue Mar 13, 2018 2:20 pm
I have only used the DreamWear mask so I don't have anything to compare it to, but after 28 days of use I have zero issues with it. Even my first night it caused no issues other than working nicely. I have tightened the strap up a little a time or two as it stretches after washing, but absolutely comfortable, no leaks and works fine. I have the medium head gear and use the small gel cushion.

If anyone would like the have the M and L cushions let me know. I would be happy to mail them to you.

I am a brand new CPAP user also with 28 days under my belt. Snoring stopped dead which pleases my wife.
Both the M and L cushions have been claimed. I have been traveling and will mail both of them to the claimants this morning.

DreamWear Nasal Pillow headgear with Arms

Holden4th

Re: DreamWear nasal mask is good, because....

Post by Holden4th » Thu Mar 15, 2018 3:31 am

ejackson1200 wrote:
Wed Mar 14, 2018 6:49 pm
After two nights I had soreness under the nose and a pimple! (I'm 55 years old for goodness sake.) I added a cotton cloth cut from an old tee shirt to fit the design part against my face and cut out a very small area for the air. It works like a charm now. The cotton also decreases the leaking and resulting noise and air sensations.

I'm a side sleeper and switch sides allot at night due to back/hip discomfort, the fact it just swivels and I don't have to wake up and take it with me, roll with it, is great. I literally just have it hanging off the top of the bed.

I will say I only need a pressure of 4 to go from 50 some apneas down to what is usually less than 1 an hour.
Something for Respironics to think about maybe? I'll give this a try.

ShinRyoku

Post by ShinRyoku » Thu Mar 15, 2018 6:21 am

mw757 wrote:
Wed Mar 14, 2018 11:22 am
The DreamWear Gel Pillows is my favorite mask right now, but the vent is a real weakness. If it had the P10 diffuser, it would be pretty much perfect.
-Amin
Owner/editor: https://www.sleepapneagroup.com/
Nothing I say on the forum should be taken as medical advice.

NateB209

Post by NateB209 » Sun May 27, 2018 8:57 am

I have been through several full face as well as nasal pillow type masks. The full face masks are a no go for me, too uncomfortable. Interestingly, during my sleep test the nurse told be I was a mouth breather so had to use a full face mask. BS !! Luckily the CPAP.com rep suggested trying the nasal pillows, and I am DEFINATELY not a mouth breather as the nasal type masks are comfortable and achieve 100 percent seal .

The two I've had the best success with though are the Mirage Swift II and the Phillips Dreamwear ( non gel older one slit type). The Dreamwear really doesn't look like it would be effective , but so unobtrusive I had to try as my first mask. I then went thru a half a dozen more of all types over the past two years. In the end , I am using the Dreamwear and it works well for me. The issue I have with the other nasal pillow types masks is they have nasal prongs which while effectively making a seal leave me with sore nostrils. The Dreamwear achieve a great air seal and super comfortable .

chunkyfrog
Location: Nebraska--I am sworn to keep the secret of this paradise.

Post by chunkyfrog » Sun May 27, 2018 9:30 am

One thing we should always remember:
Nobody but the PATIENT can properly decide which mask is the right mask.
---Especially people who do not use cpap.

randyd501

Post by randyd501 » Sun May 27, 2018 12:54 pm

Always wore a Full face Mask but was getting horrible redness and puffy under eyes. I could never get used to nasal masks mouth breather. My doctore swore by the DreamWear mask and so I gave it a try and it is best thing I ever done, It is true if you sleep on your side it could get messed up but best thing do is to adjust your pillow

NateB209

Post by NateB209 » Mon May 28, 2018 1:04 pm

chunkyfrog wrote:
Sun May 27, 2018 9:30 am
One thing we should always remember:
Nobody but the PATIENT can properly decide which mask is the right mask.
---Especially people who do not use cpap.
I agree. The two overnight sleep tests cost a fortune and the recommendation that I had to use a full face mask was absolute BS.

The choice of mask ( whatever configuration) is super subjective , no one type fits all for certain. But Phillips really got something right on their Dreamwear nasal mask. I'm a single man and this doesn't scare the crap out of my girlfriend, and it actually works for me better than my very expensive very highly rated full face mask.

Of course, YMMV.

dreamingofdreaming

Post by dreamingofdreaming » Tue May 29, 2018 6:29 am

I normally use the nasal mask, but it has started sliding around and causing leaks lately. I think it's summer and sweat causing it to slide. I tried the pillow as it fits into the same mask and definitely less leaks. I don't think it's as comfortable as I don't like the feeling of something in my nose. I'm sure I'll get use to it.