Sticky about recent spam bot attacks

General Discussion on any topic relating to CPAP and/or Sleep Apnea.
jnk...

Re: Sticky about recent spam bot attacks

Post by jnk... » Tue Mar 13, 2018 1:21 pm

Yeah, I'm a little sticky about it too.
-Jeff (AS10/P30i)

Accounts to put on the foe list: Me. I often post misleading, timewasting stuff.

chunkyfrog
Location: Nebraska--I am sworn to keep the secret of this paradise.

Post by chunkyfrog » Tue Mar 13, 2018 2:38 pm

Try flushable wipes.

jnk...

Post by jnk... » Tue Mar 13, 2018 2:42 pm

chunkyfrog wrote:
Tue Mar 13, 2018 2:38 pm
Try flushable wipes.
:lol: :lol: :lol:

One more instance of excellent fellow-patient advice on a sticky medical subject!

Thanks, CF. Laugh was needed.
-Jeff (AS10/P30i)

Accounts to put on the foe list: Me. I often post misleading, timewasting stuff.

DxRxTx

Post by DxRxTx » Tue Mar 13, 2018 2:56 pm

The spammer is KOREAN, not Chinese. There is a difference.

Pugsy

Post by Pugsy » Tue Mar 13, 2018 3:02 pm

DxRxTx wrote:
Tue Mar 13, 2018 2:56 pm
So it makes it less annoying if it's not Chinese?

BTW...I took copies of the text from recent spam and plugged it into 3 different online translators...they all said it was Chinese to English...not Korean to English.

If you want to try the Eclipse mask and want a special promo code to get a little off the price...send me a private message.

chunkyfrog
Location: Nebraska--I am sworn to keep the secret of this paradise.

Post by chunkyfrog » Tue Mar 13, 2018 5:02 pm

More than likely, it is some unemployed programmer in the US,
Put out of work by foreign outsourcing.
Either that or a group in a russkie warehouse, developing ransomware.

lathnos46

Post by lathnos46 » Tue Mar 13, 2018 6:52 pm

Pugsy, you are doing a great job because I have not seen any spam on here. I don't come on here every day but enough that I would think I would have seen some. I'm sorry about the loss of Vivian. Was she a family member or a pet, if I may ask? (I am a pet lover with a dog and a cat and daughter's dog in residence). All the best!

lathnos46

Post by lathnos46 » Tue Mar 13, 2018 7:10 pm

Sorry, I now see that Vivian was 49er on this forum. I am so sorry for her passing. RIP.

RaveledSleave

Post by RaveledSleave » Wed Mar 14, 2018 4:47 am

DxRxTx wrote:
Tue Mar 13, 2018 2:56 pm
Not sure why you think that? The posts are all in Simplified Chinese. Korean looks very different.

chartle

Post by chartle » Wed Mar 14, 2018 4:50 am

Wow I stopped at 7 to 9 pages.

I guess a nuclear bomb hit last night. Your only solution is to maybe close The forum to all new users for awhile.

Or all new users must be manually approved.

Pugsy

Post by Pugsy » Wed Mar 14, 2018 6:28 am

I knew he would be back last night but not do anything until very late after I went to bed.
The night before I stayed up (for most of the night) and stopped a lot just as he registered but I couldn't do it last night.

Ben got here early this morning and cleaned things up. Then the bot registered again and I just not blocked it and removed the handful of posts.

He may try again this morning but the pattern as been once he realizes that he is going to be immediately blocked he quits registering.

If you want to try the Eclipse mask and want a special promo code to get a little off the price...send me a private message.

chartle

Post by chartle » Wed Mar 14, 2018 7:01 am

Pugsy wrote:
Wed Mar 14, 2018 6:28 am
I knew he would be back last night but not do anything until very late after I went to bed.
The night before I stayed up (for most of the night) and stopped a lot just as he registered but I couldn't do it last night.

Ben got here early this morning and cleaned things up. Then the bot registered again and I just not blocked it and removed the handful of posts.

He may try again this morning but the pattern as been once he realizes that he is going to be immediately blocked he quits registering.
I just joined but has it always been this bad?

It now appears to be some sort of retaliation to your blocking efforts. I'm on forums maybe 100 times more active than this one and they get very little spam like this.

Pugsy

Post by Pugsy » Wed Mar 14, 2018 7:22 am

chartle wrote:
Wed Mar 14, 2018 7:01 am
I just joined but has it always been this bad?
No. This is recent...last 10 days maybe.

Had a prior attack last May (or early June) of last year. Much worse than this. Shut the forum down for about 4 days.
This recent stuff is nothing compared to what happened last year.
New security protocols went into place and pretty much stopped it until recently.

Looks like the bots (and the human behind the bots) has figured out how to get around the new security protocols.
So time for more security protocols. The powers that be are working on figuring out the best way to stop the spam without making it too difficult for the legit humans here.

In the meantime...I know this looks massive but it really is nothing compared to what happened last year.
Last year we were getting a full page of spam within 2 minutes....so imagine a new page every 2 minutes X 4 days......and really couldn't stop it until new registrations were just halted.
Last year the number of people with the powers to block the new accounts from posting and then remove the spam posts was really limited. I didn't have those powers back thing.
I do now....and bendauphinee (shortened to Ben because I hate typing such a long name) also can remove the spam and of course the forum owners.

Since the spam bot has figured out that no one is watching closely during the wee hours of the morning that's when he likes to strike but I have seen him test to see if someone is watching during the middle of the day.
His new accounts that he creates are fairly easy to spot and block. I watch the new member list often to spot those accounts.

This Chinese whatever ese spam...it's not just happening here. It's happening in forums all over the internet. It's happening to emails too. I have been doing some reading and this same type of spam is popping up ... briefly until it gets removed...in many forums.

So bear with us if you come here early in the morning and he's active because no one is awake to block him.
Rest assured that as soon as Ben or myself or someone else with the powers to put a stop to it and clean it up arrives here...it will go away.

I had to sleep in a bit this morning. The night before I didn't get much sleep and I can't function like that.
After battling the bot all night Monday night...he didn't even try a new account all day yesterday...not until I went to bed.
I knew he would be back though and I was right.

Anyway...just bear with the forum owners and Ben until a new security protocol is put in place to stop it.

chartle

Post by chartle » Wed Mar 14, 2018 7:49 am

I know in that other forum, The Dis Boards, they have at least one admin/moderator in the UK so they can monitor stuff in what is the USA's early morning.

Pugsy

Post by Pugsy » Wed Mar 14, 2018 7:57 am

chartle wrote:
Wed Mar 14, 2018 7:49 am
I know in that other forum, The Dis Boards, they have at least one admin/moderator in the UK so they can monitor stuff in what is the USA's early morning.
That's probably true but here on this forum we don't have that option available at this time.
It's just fairly recently that I was given moderator powers to help out and it was a big deal for the forum owners to do that along with some of the other stuff that happened at the same time that happened before you joined us.

Please everyone....just try to be patient.

I know the spam is annoying...trust me...I want to shoot the bastard. :lol: