Is the disposable filter a "must" ?

General Discussion on any topic relating to CPAP and/or Sleep Apnea.
palerider

Re: Is the disposable filter a "must" ?

Post by palerider » Sun Mar 11, 2018 4:08 pm

Barb (Seattle) wrote:
Sun Mar 11, 2018 4:04 pm
I am using the filter. NOT The ultrafine. Pretty sure the 2nd is optional.
Just making sure...
Barb (Seattle) wrote:
Sun Mar 11, 2018 9:42 am
works even quieter without the foam one too,

Accounts to put on the foe list: dataq1, clownbell, gearchange, lynninnj, mper!?, DreamDiver, Geer1, almostadoctor, sleepgeek, ajack, stom, mogy, D.H., They often post misleading, timewasting stuff.

Barb (Seattle)

Post by Barb (Seattle) » Sun Mar 11, 2018 4:08 pm

palerider wrote:
Barb (Seattle) wrote:
Sun Mar 11, 2018 4:04 pm
I am using the filter. NOT The ultrafine. Pretty sure the 2nd is optional.
Just making sure...
Barb (Seattle) wrote:
Sun Mar 11, 2018 9:42 am
works even quieter without the foam one too,

Sent from my SM-G950U using Tapatalk

USED to be on DreamStation..now on S9 VPAP ADAPT
21 years on CPAP

Mirage Quattro Air Small

Goofproof

Post by Goofproof » Sun Mar 11, 2018 4:58 pm

All the filters are optional, in this world everything is optional, that doesn't make everything a good idea! :lol: Jim
Use data to optimize your xPAP treatment!

"The art of medicine consists in amusing the patient while nature cures the disease." Voltaire

Barb (Seattle)

Post by Barb (Seattle) » Sun Mar 11, 2018 6:20 pm

Goofproof wrote:All the filters are optional, in this world everything is optional, that doesn't make everything a good idea! Image Jim
ImageImage

Sent from my SM-G950U using Tapatalk

21 years on CPAP

Mirage Quattro Air Small

SnoringInOregon

Post by SnoringInOregon » Tue Mar 13, 2018 11:36 am

If you carefully examine the fine filter when you remove a used one, you can see that it has become darker because of fine contaminants it has filtered from the air. Dust, pollen, smoke, whatever.

If you omit using the fine filter, then that dust winds up in the interior of your machine where it coats the air pump and the rest of the air path. Or it winds up in your lungs.

How much does it cost to replace a lung? How does that compare to the cost of a filter?

I'm probably overly sensitive about this, but I don't even want to use knockoff fine filters, e.g. what cpap.com sells. I only want the name brand Respironics ones I buy from my DME.

Goofproof

Post by Goofproof » Tue Mar 13, 2018 12:36 pm

You may not be built like the Detroit Diesel V-16 Engine's I worked on, but Two Tablespoons of Dirt and dust thru the intake system was enough to destroy them. A over $80,000 Rebuilt engine, weighting a few tons, But is sure you could live longer if you filtered dust out of your air intake too. Then again the filters for them cost about $ 1,000 hours a set (4).

I won't complain about my XPAP Filters! Jim

"The art of medicine consists in amusing the patient while nature cures the disease." Voltaire

palerider

Post by palerider » Tue Mar 13, 2018 1:30 pm

SnoringInOregon wrote:
Tue Mar 13, 2018 11:36 am
If you carefully examine the fine filter when you remove a used one, you can see that it has become darker because of fine contaminants it has filtered from the air. Dust, pollen, smoke, whatever.

If you omit using the fine filter, then that dust winds up in the interior of your machine where it coats the air pump and the rest of the air path. Or it winds up in your lungs.

How much does it cost to replace a lung? How does that compare to the cost of a filter?

I'm probably overly sensitive about this, but I don't even want to use knockoff fine filters, e.g. what cpap.com sells. I only want the name brand Respironics ones I buy from my DME.
You are... unless you wear a mask with the equivalent of fine filters all day when not sleeping.

The course filter is enough to keep the larger dust and contaminants out of the cpap, and those are what will clog IT up.

Accounts to put on the foe list: dataq1, clownbell, gearchange, lynninnj, mper!?, DreamDiver, Geer1, almostadoctor, sleepgeek, ajack, stom, mogy, D.H., They often post misleading, timewasting stuff.

Goofproof

Post by Goofproof » Tue Mar 13, 2018 3:34 pm

If you Nose Breath, your Nose hair handles the course stuff, the sinus & mucus handled the moisture, and clean out. Low tech, your body is, but it's all we have... Jim

Barb (Seattle)

Post by Barb (Seattle) » Tue Mar 13, 2018 5:40 pm

true, but if it makes enough noise that your sleep is disturbed...then, I'll stick with
my blue filter and leave the ultra one off either that or sleep without it, or earplugs (which make my inner ears break out :mrgreen:

SnoringInOregon wrote:

21 years on CPAP

Mirage Quattro Air Small

Goofproof

Post by Goofproof » Tue Mar 13, 2018 5:51 pm

Barb (Seattle) wrote:
Tue Mar 13, 2018 5:40 pm
true, but if it makes enough noise that your sleep is disturbed...then, I'll stick with
my blue filter and leave the ultra one off either that or sleep without it, or earplugs (which make my inner ears break out :mrgreen:

SnoringInOregon wrote:

I could lend you a few million of my Cicada I have to listen to all the time i'm awake, the only time they sleep is when I go to sleep, then my tubes plug up and silence is good. Jim

SnoringInOregon

Post by SnoringInOregon » Wed Mar 14, 2018 7:44 am

No I don't wear a filter or mask during the day. So I am exposing myself to plenty of pollution. But if I use my fine filter at night, I probably cut down my overall daily exposure by 25% or more over someone who doesn't. Also, fortunately, as far pollution as the USA goes, Oregon is pretty good (except when there are nearby forest fires).

Fine particulates are a serious health concern. Since they are mostly caused by the (very recent in evolutionary terms) industrial revolution, we haven't evolved to deal with them. Cilia and nose hairs don't filter them out. The really fine ones will actually pass through the lungs and into the bloodstream. I'm sure the fine filter lets a lot of that stuff through, but it probably also filters a lot out.

Anyone who wants to learn more can easily read Wikipedia: https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Particula ... th_effects

palerider

Post by palerider » Wed Mar 14, 2018 7:12 pm

SnoringInOregon wrote:
Wed Mar 14, 2018 7:44 am
No I don't wear a filter or mask during the day. So I am exposing myself to plenty of pollution. But if I use my fine filter at night, I probably cut down my overall daily exposure by 25% or more over someone who doesn't. Also, fortunately, as far pollution as the USA goes, Oregon is pretty good (except when there are nearby forest fires).

Fine particulates are a serious health concern. Since they are mostly caused by the (very recent in evolutionary terms) industrial revolution, we haven't evolved to deal with them. Cilia and nose hairs don't filter them out. The really fine ones will actually pass through the lungs and into the bloodstream. I'm sure the fine filter lets a lot of that stuff through, but it probably also filters a lot out.

Anyone who wants to learn more can easily read Wikipedia: https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Particula ... th_effects
Freaking out about the importance of the fine filter, and then breathing completely unfiltered air during the day is rather disingenuous.

Goofproof

Post by Goofproof » Wed Mar 14, 2018 7:34 pm

palerider wrote:
Wed Mar 14, 2018 7:12 pm
SnoringInOregon wrote:
Wed Mar 14, 2018 7:44 am

Freaking out about the importance of the fine filter, and then breathing completely unfiltered air during the day is rather disingenuous.
Maybe pollen doesn't come out at night, it could be afraid of the dark, I hope mold is too. Jim

PaulKTF

Post by PaulKTF » Wed Mar 14, 2018 8:28 pm

The filters are so cheap there's no reason not to use them.

-Paul.

Barb (Seattle)

Post by Barb (Seattle) » Mon Mar 26, 2018 8:56 pm

PaulKTF wrote:
Wed Mar 14, 2018 8:28 pm
The filters are so cheap there's no reason not to use them.
the ultrafine filter makes noise. I will not use it. I use the other filter that comes with the machine.
21 years on CPAP

Mirage Quattro Air Small