Respironics DreamWear Full Face Mask Review

General Discussion on any topic relating to CPAP and/or Sleep Apnea.
Pugsy

Re: Respironics DreamWear Full Face Mask Review

Post by Pugsy » Sun Mar 18, 2018 8:12 pm

jtech1 wrote:
Sun Mar 18, 2018 7:44 pm
Thanks! I did see the pics... but was hard to tell. The piece that plus into the nasal pillow looks similar to the picture. And I saw another review that said it appeared to use the same frame... but may be it was wrong.
Frame and headgear 2 different things.

The frame is the silicone part that goes around the head and hooks to the long hose at the top of the frame.
And the frame is interchangeable.

The headgear is the stretchy cloth like part of things that hold the frame onto the head and hopefully in place..
The headgear for the full face mask is specific to the full face mask.
The headgear for the under the nose only cushion and gel pillows will work with either the cushion or the pillows but will NOT work with the cushion that is needed for the full face mask.

So you have to understand what someone is talking about when they say "frame" and "headgear".

I use whatever Respironics seems to call the items....thus frame for the silicone part and headgear for the material like stretchy parts.

If you want to try the Eclipse mask and want a special promo code to get a little off the price...send me a private message.

jtech1

Post by jtech1 » Sun Mar 18, 2018 9:20 pm

USMCVet wrote:
Sun Mar 18, 2018 8:00 pm
Frame is the same headgear is different. So yes the mask part plugs into same frame but you need different headgear strap.
Updated... looked at pictures on page 1 again and answered my own question... so the strap is different between the two. Got it.

Now the question is... if I buy only the full face inserts does it come with the strap? Hmmm.. SecondWind shows DreamWear strap on their full face mask ad, but the old strap is pictured...

USMCVet

Post by USMCVet » Sun Mar 18, 2018 10:02 pm

jtech1 wrote:
Sun Mar 18, 2018 9:20 pm
USMCVet wrote:
Sun Mar 18, 2018 8:00 pm
Frame is the same headgear is different. So yes the mask part plugs into same frame but you need different headgear strap.
Updated... looked at pictures on page 1 again and answered my own question... so the strap is different between the two. Got it.

Now the question is... if I buy only the full face inserts does it come with the strap? Hmmm.. SecondWind shows DreamWear strap on their full face mask ad, but the old strap is pictured...
I'm still waiting on email back from them regarding that very question. Seriously doubt new strap comes with insert.
You should email them as well and let me know if they reply to you. Last I heard was this last week he should get then in the mail and would let me know then.

Pugsy

Post by Pugsy » Sun Mar 18, 2018 10:12 pm

Per secondwind
The DreamWear Full Face CPAP System FitPack 1133400 Bundle contains one medium silicone frame, fabric wraps, headgear with 4 Full Face Cushions, (Small, Medium, and Large)
Or you may be able to buy just a cushion if you already have the frame BUT you are still going to need the full face headgear.
The picture shown of the headgear for $35 at the link on page 1 is for the original headgear and NOT the headgear for the full face mask.
I have no idea what the price is for the full face headgear...probably about the same as the original.

When in doubt...call them.
For all I know they put the wrong picture up for the headgear.
We can't confirm product numbers because it's not available anywhere else to check part numbers.

Here's a place with a better picture of the headgear on the full face mask with cushion and frame all put together.
https://www.sleepapnea.com/products/mas ... /full-face

If you want to try the Eclipse mask and want a special promo code to get a little off the price...send me a private message.

weroberts75

Post by weroberts75 » Tue Mar 20, 2018 4:10 pm

I chatted with the folks at the link that Pugsy provided.
They confirmed that the headgear they had was for the full mask, not the nasal mask, and they removed the photo that showed the Dreamwear nasal headgear.
They also said that Respironics suggested using the same template as that of the Dreamwear nasal mask until a new template was available.

QueSera

Post by QueSera » Wed Mar 21, 2018 11:05 am

I was able to get this mask from Second wind; I got the fit pack because it looked like the only way to get the headgear. I've had it for a couple of weeks, I think, and it's finally adjusted to me (and I to it) and I can keep it on all night, and my results are good. I'm really happy with it; here's my review.

First, let me say that the original Dreamwear was previously my favorite mask, but I was getting a lot of mouth leaks, especially after I was switched to the Aircurve ASV machine. I tried taping but it didn’t work well for me, so I wanted a good full-face mask. (The Amara View had given me very mixed results in the past.)

Okay. The DW/FF uses the same frame as the original DW so it has the same benefits. For me, this means that the side arms fit well, even if I’m on my side, and the top hose-connection is perfect, and keeps the hose off me all night.

The mask part is one piece, including the hard shell on the outside and the softer part that touches the face. It has a low profile compared to other FF masks I’ve tried, that is, the hard plastic shell doesn’t stick out far from the face. (Did that make sense?) It’s also glasses friendly, which is important to me.

[After the first night, I’ve been using a mask liner, first a purchased one, and then home-made ones with a pattern I adapted.]

My worst leaks were along the sides of my nose. The actual nose part is less flexible than on the original DW (because it’s all one piece, the nasal part attached to both the hard plastic shell and the mouth area along its bottom edge.) This means (CON) that the leaks were able to happen, but it also means (PRO) that the whole thing isn’t sliding upward as I sleep so that I wake up in the morning with my nose mashed flat and sore. Since the leaks have improved (due to the liner, I think), that CON is gone.

It is very, very comfortable to wear, and I can even speak a little bit with it on.

One of the big issues with the original DW is the forceful venting in the front. It is much more diffused on the FF; I barely notice it.

I also find it to be quiet, but I have very compromised hearing, so YMMV on the noise. I don’t hear anything at all from this mask (or from my machine, for that matter.)

I like that, since I have acquired quite the collection of DW frames, I will only have to buy the occasional mask part and headgear from now on, once they become available.

Keeping my fingers crossed that this is the mask I’ve been waiting for since I started my CPAP journey 2 years ago. At this point, I’m very encouraged.
It's always something. Roseanne RoseannaDanna
I was a victim of a series of circumstances, as are we all. Malachi Constant

Pugsy

Post by Pugsy » Wed Mar 21, 2018 12:02 pm

Thank you for the review QueSera.

Once the mask gets released to the public in mass...people will be able to buy the parts individually and make their own mask and probably save a bit of money in the process but that's not going to happen just yet.
First it will be offered everywhere in the mask package with the individual parts following just behind. That's the way it has always been when any new mask gets released.

I got a chance to speak with my DME about it yesterday when I gave him a delayed phone call that I had promised him with my experience with the new mask.
For a full face mask...I like it and I can make it work. Will it ever replace my preference for nasal pillows...No, of course not but I have no need to replace my primary mask.
Now my DME is a cpap user himself so he has first hand experience...and he's no different than anyone here...some masks he hates and some he loves. He hated the DreamWear FF mask. :lol: Was totally surprised when I said I liked it because I am one tough nut to crack when it comes to full face masks.

This new mask is going to be like every other mask out there. Some people will love it and some people will hate it and the ones that hate it will wonder what in the world is wrong with the ones that love it. It is just the life of a cpap mask of any kind.

All masks have pros and cons...all of them...there's no perfect mask out there. Even for the masks that we might use and really like there's always some little something that could maybe be better.

Everyone has their own very individual preferences and need for any number of reasons.
Some people have preferences and needs that make a "pro" in their mind about a mask that ends up being a "con" in my mind because I have a different set of preferences and needs that I want met. It's just a fact of life.

The ONLY way for a person to really know that they will like a mask or not like a mask is to try it. You can't make the decision based on how someone else feels about it. You have no idea of their preferences and needs mimic yours.

The DreamWear Full Face mask isn't going to be a mask that the decision will necessarily be an easy decision based on one night's use unless you just hate it so bad you don't ever want it to touch your face again (kinda what my DME felt :lol: )
It took me at least an hour of fitting prior to bedtime to get it close...and then some fitting during the night and then the second and third night I fine tuned the fitting more.
Now part of it is I discovered that the small frame is still a bit too large for my head/face.

So don't ask me if you will like it or have success with it....I have no way of knowing what your own personal preferences or needs might be. If it looks interesting to you and you want to try it...then try it. Wanting to is a good enough reason in my book.
You will always learn something...even if all you learn is what a bad idea that was :lol: :lol: .
I tried the Wisp once...lasted 90 minutes with it during the night and it was the longest 90 minutes of my life.
Bad idea to try it but I learned something...I learned I hated it and it would never ever darken my face again and it got returned to my DME. Then I tried the Swift FX Nano which is a very similar cushion...to be honest I full expected it to be like the Wisp and I would hate it but to my amazement I did quite well with it and I actually used it for over a week in various configurations (like it will work with the Bella Loops).

My point...you just have to try something with an open mind to see if it will work or not.

JimW159

Post by JimW159 » Sat Mar 24, 2018 10:56 pm

Pugsy,

Would wearing the S frame over a surgical scrub cap help in fitting? It seems one could fit the cap over something like microfiber shop towels to give it some bulk without too much added weight or heat.

John1409

Post by John1409 » Tue Mar 27, 2018 8:51 am

I've only been on cpap (apap) for just over 6 months. My pressure averages less than 10 and my exhale pressure is set 3 lower or runs about 6.5. I have a deviated septum so I'm susceptible to blockage. Those nights of significant congestion require a full face mask so I can breathe thru my mouth.
My favorite mask is the Dreamwear nasal cushion mask. I cannot stand nasal pillows. I always wear a halo chinstrap with the Dreamwear nasal cushion. When I have significant congestion I switch to the Amara View which has the similar nasal cushion scheme.
The Amara View is kinda large and clunky and you wrestle with the hose so I thought the Dreamwear full face mask may be the perfect merge, however ...
Looking at my Dreamwear cushion it appears that the cushion will just sit on top of the box (of the full face mask) which will go over your mouth. It appears that there would be no pathway for the supplied air to enter the space over your mouth. It does not appear that it is possible to breathe thru your mouth with this mask. If this is true then I do not see how this mask provides any advantage to me.
Please tell me if I'm wrong.

Pugsy

Post by Pugsy » Tue Mar 27, 2018 9:02 am

John1409 wrote:
Tue Mar 27, 2018 8:51 am
You are wrong.

The cushion you are now using isn't used at all if you use the full face mask cushion and there is an opening at the top of the cushion very similar to the opening on the cushion you are now using for you to be able to breathe either through your nose or you can use the larger over the mouth interface.

Go back and look closely at the cushion pictures I took and you can see that opening at the top of the cushion that will rest against the nostrils.

I have used this mask. A person can easily breathe through their nose or mouth with this mask.

heyslick

Post by heyslick » Tue Mar 27, 2018 6:05 pm

pugsy, if a person mouth breaths with the dw ff mask would this cause large leaks. I want this mask to work for me but i was getting very loud noises that woke me up, so i made a liner for it which stopped the loud noises, but still have super large leaks. I don't know what else i can do. I am not sure how to up load sleepy head, i did it once , but it was by pure luck.

Pugsy

Post by Pugsy » Tue Mar 27, 2018 6:36 pm

heyslick wrote:
Tue Mar 27, 2018 6:05 pm
pugsy, if a person mouth breaths with the dw ff mask would this cause large leaks. I want this mask to work for me but i was getting very loud noises that woke me up, so i made a liner for it which stopped the loud noises, but still have super large leaks. I don't know what else i can do. I am not sure how to up load sleepy head, i did it once , but it was by pure luck.
Mouth breathing won't be a cause of any large leaks with the DreamWear Full face mask.
It's mask seal or mask movement that is the culprit and part of why I had larger leaks and tried so hard to snug the frame up....the mask moved around just enough to break the seal at times. Not all the time but enough of the time to be annoying.
It's just a wee bit too big...the frame that is...and that's the small frame at that.

Just how big are your leaks and are you seeing Mr Frowny?
Are you sleeping soundly for the most part?

heyslick

Post by heyslick » Tue Mar 27, 2018 7:48 pm

the leak is around 40, sleepyhead says to talk to my provider. I have it tighten enough it leaves deep marks on my face. Been tired since using this mask, but i also have had other things going on out of my control. This should be the last night of a messed up scheduled, so i will keep trying, not ready to give up yet. Also my AHI number is way higher.9.

John1409

Post by John1409 » Tue Mar 27, 2018 7:54 pm

Pugsy wrote:
Tue Mar 27, 2018 9:02 am
John1409 wrote:
Tue Mar 27, 2018 8:51 am
You are wrong.

The cushion you are now using isn't used at all if you use the full face mask cushion and there is an opening at the top of the cushion very similar to the opening on the cushion you are now using for you to be able to breathe either through your nose or you can use the larger over the mouth interface.

Go back and look closely at the cushion pictures I took and you can see that opening at the top of the cushion that will rest against the nostrils.

I have used this mask. A person can easily breathe through their nose or mouth with this mask.
Thanks for your quick response. I thought I could use the "old" frame AND cushion. I didn't understand that the cushion was different and was attached to what I called the box. The frame then attaches to the box and not the end of the cushions as it does on the dreamwear nasal mask.

Pugsy

Post by Pugsy » Tue Mar 27, 2018 8:12 pm

heyslick wrote:
Tue Mar 27, 2018 7:48 pm
the leak is around 40, sleepyhead says to talk to my provider. I have it tighten enough it leaves deep marks on my face. Been tired since using this mask, but i also have had other things going on out of my control. This should be the last night of a messed up scheduled, so i will keep trying, not ready to give up yet. Also my AHI number is way higher.9.
We really need to see those SleepyHead detailed reports.
If the 40 is the 95% number all it means is at OR BELOW 40 for 95% of the time and while it sounds horrible...we don't know how long it was really horrible. It might have been only 30 minutes or it might have been 3 hours.
Really need to see the detailed data.
And the AHI...if you are waking often fiddling with the mask and leaks then some of that AHI might be sleep/wake/junk events.

We can now do attachments here at the forum....take a screen shot of your detailed report (save it to where you can easily find it) and then compose a post and click on "attachments" and then go to that saved screen shot and double click on it and it will show up at the bottom of your post as an attached image.

Might should also start a new thread and not have it get lost in this thread.