AHI jumping to scary levels with new machine.

General Discussion on any topic relating to CPAP and/or Sleep Apnea.
Ron AKA

Re: AHI jumping to scary levels with new machine.

Post by Ron AKA » Thu Apr 12, 2018 12:57 pm

Pugsy wrote:
Thu Apr 12, 2018 7:11 am
Unless your current machine is the DreamStaton ASV machine I can tell you right now why it is NOT dealing with your central apneas.
It can't. It's the wrong machine to give to someone with central apnea.
It's not the machines's fault because it was never designed to treat centrals (unless you have the ASV model and I don't think you do).
If you are having a lot of central apneas....you need a machine designed to breathe for you and deal with those centrals.
Regular cpap/apap can't do it.
And IF your current machine is the ASV model...it's not doing its job because someone set it up incorrectly,
The current information and the past information indicates there are NO CENTRAL APNEAS to treat. Zero. If there is a problem with the machine, it is that it is maxed out at 20 cm of pressure and can't deliver more. An ASV machine is not the correct choice. If anything the poster needs a BiPAP machine that can deliver more than 20 cm pressure. Another poster here is offering one that may be suitable for $600. It appears to be the ResMed AirCurve VAuto, which is capable of 25 cm pressure. I have no connection at all with this poster. I just noticed it in that other thread which discussed this particular BiPAP.
grayghost4 wrote:
Thu Apr 12, 2018 12:11 pm
If you are still looking for a new one I have several of these $600 shipped to us address

https://sfbay.craigslist.org/eby/hab/d/ ... 92352.html
And the other issue that needs to be mentioned is that perhaps there is more going on than a lack of pressure, such as leaks, or sleeping position. A current daily detail screenshot would be very helpful.

palerider

Post by palerider » Thu Apr 12, 2018 1:06 pm

gwc2795 wrote:
Thu Apr 12, 2018 4:20 am
Did you also change mask? I notice that your 90% leak rate has increased to 72. This leak rate could be causing the CPAP to misdiagnose the AHI's because of the pressure leaks.
That's not necessarily a bad leak on the OP's machine, which is different than yours.

Accounts to put on the foe list: dataq1, clownbell, gearchange, lynninnj, mper!?, DreamDiver, Geer1, almostadoctor, sleepgeek, ajack, stom, mogy, D.H., They often post misleading, timewasting stuff.

Pugsy

Post by Pugsy » Thu Apr 12, 2018 1:32 pm

I give up trying to reason with some people who just won't listen.
Might as well be arguing with that stump in my back yard.

To Barb...you know what you need and why. That's why you had the most recent sleep study and did indeed confirm the presence of central apneas and you already know full well that plain bipap/bilevel isn't the answer in your situation which is why you had this recent repeat sleep study done in the first place.

To the OP here...Sleepingbettercpap...see my post directed at you.

To everyone else...Ron is the most scary kind of dangerous newbie...best to just ignore him because he won't listen to reason because in his mind he knows it all already. Scary thing...he's got it wrong about some real important stuff and is potentially dangerous in his advice and unwilling to learn.

If you want to try the Eclipse mask and want a special promo code to get a little off the price...send me a private message.

SleepingBetterCPAP

Post by SleepingBetterCPAP » Thu Apr 12, 2018 2:19 pm

So I adjusted my mask a little and leak rate was really good and then I had a horrible 4 hours of sleep. AHI 23 concluded with a central (can't remember last time I had that) + waking up gasping. Really at my wits end here. I'm willing to try pretty much anything. If someone says sleeping on the floor will help, I'll do that.

No idea what was going on with all the PB and the obstructions. I went to sleep on my side but I don't know what position I was in when that stuff was going on.

Pugsy

Post by Pugsy » Thu Apr 12, 2018 2:43 pm

How about adding a soft cervical collar in an effort to keep the airway more open?

Try to make sure you stay on your side as much as possible to at least rule in or out if supine sleeping is part of the problem.

When is the last time you saw a doctor about your sleep apnea therapy?

If you want to try the Eclipse mask and want a special promo code to get a little off the price...send me a private message.

palerider

Post by palerider » Thu Apr 12, 2018 4:57 pm

Ron AKA wrote:
Thu Apr 12, 2018 10:16 am
Pugsy wrote:

Unless your current machine is the DreamStaton ASV machine I can tell you right now why it is NOT dealing with your central apneas.

It's not the machines's fault because it was never designed to treat centrals (unless you have the ASV model and I don't think you do).
If you are having a lot of central apneas....you need a machine designed to breathe for you and deal with those centrals.

And IF your current machine is the ASV model...it's not doing its job because someone set it up incorrectly,
Pugsy, did you actually look at the data sheet? The clear airway events (central apneas) are essentially zero, and have been for months. The problem is obstructive apneas and hypopneas, not centrals.
Ron, did you actually read the message posted? In the one you're harping about, Pugsy wasn't even talking the OP, she was talking to Barb, who crashed the thread with her own problems, kind of like you do.

You're completely out of line, as so often happens.

Is this a sample of the management style your victims are so glad not to have to deal with anymore?

Accounts to put on the foe list: dataq1, clownbell, gearchange, lynninnj, mper!?, DreamDiver, Geer1, almostadoctor, sleepgeek, ajack, stom, mogy, D.H., They often post misleading, timewasting stuff.

palerider

Post by palerider » Thu Apr 12, 2018 5:00 pm

Ron AKA wrote:
Thu Apr 12, 2018 12:57 pm
Pugsy wrote:
The current information and the past information indicates there are NO CENTRAL APNEAS to treat.
Someone should take you by the hand and lead you through these tricky things....

Pugsy was not talking to the OP.

palerider

Post by palerider » Thu Apr 12, 2018 5:09 pm

SleepingBetterCPAP wrote:
Thu Apr 12, 2018 2:54 am
So, I made a thread in December 2017 viewtopic.php?f=1&t=157643&p=1211348when my AHI start jumping from it's usual <2 to 4 or 5. Felt like my old machine wasn't really doing its job and the humidifier was broken. I decided to finance a new machine and wound up getting the DreamStation Auto CPAP Machine.
Ok, First thing I was *strongly* suggest, ignore posts from "RonAKA", he's a self proclaimed "ex vice president" with all of the ignorance and know-it-all-ness that comes with a title, no doubt earned by the peter principle. He has no concept at all about the limits of his "knowledge".

Listen to Pugsy, she's wise, has a long medical background, and she knows all too well what she doesn't know.

Now, first question... What was your old machine, and what were it's settings?
I don't have insurance coverage for my CPAP so I have to pay out of pocket for everything. The Dreamstation was a big expense but I was *hoping* the new machine + working humidifier would help get my numbers down. Instead, the numbers have gone from bad to horrible. I also switched masks in December from the Quatro to the Liberty Hybrid.
When exactly did you get the new machine? (trying to establish a timeline here... switched masks in December... new machine?)
For the last few weeks I've been really congested and thought maybe there was an issue with that.
As Julie mentioned, it's possible that you might be using too much humidity for your needs... some people like a lot, some people do better with little, or no added humidity, it's very individualized.
Is there some sort of inverse-relationship between Obstructions and Hypopneas?
Not really.. a hypopnea is a partial reduction in airflow, an apnea is a near total, or total reduction... if you were having hypopneas and started having apneas, then that just means your throat is closing all the way, instead of partially... (ie, you won't get a hypopnea and an apnea scored at the same time).

Barb (Seattle)

Post by Barb (Seattle) » Thu Apr 12, 2018 5:33 pm

Ron AKA wrote:
Pugsy wrote:

Pugsy, did you actually look at the data sheet? The clear airway events (central apneas) are essentially zero, and have been for months. The problem is obstructive apneas and hypopneas, not centrals.

She was replying to me I think...
USED to be on DreamStation..now on S9 VPAP ADAPT
21 years on CPAP

Mirage Quattro Air Small

Barb (Seattle)

Post by Barb (Seattle) » Thu Apr 12, 2018 5:37 pm

palerider wrote:
Thu Apr 12, 2018 4:57 pm
Ron AKA wrote:
Pugsy wrote:

Ron, did you actually read the message posted? In the one you're harping about, Pugsy wasn't even talking the OP, she was talking to Barb, who crashed the thread with her own problems, kind of like you do.

You're completely out of line, as so often happens.

Is this a sample of the management style your victims are so glad not to have to deal with anymore?

So sorry 🙄🙄
21 years on CPAP

Mirage Quattro Air Small

Barb (Seattle)

Post by Barb (Seattle) » Thu Apr 12, 2018 5:40 pm

Feel free to delete my posts, moderator. I just thought the OP would appreciate the fact he wasn't alone and i identified with the fact someone elsehad problems with the dream machine. You all are rude.
21 years on CPAP

Mirage Quattro Air Small

palerider

Post by palerider » Thu Apr 12, 2018 5:42 pm

Barb (Seattle) wrote:
Thu Apr 12, 2018 5:37 pm
So sorry 🙄🙄
No biggie... but if you do keep your stuff together in a thread, it makes it a lot easier to help you...

palerider

Post by palerider » Thu Apr 12, 2018 5:43 pm

Barb (Seattle) wrote:
Thu Apr 12, 2018 5:40 pm
Feel free to delete my posts, moderator. I just thought the OP would appreciate the fact he wasn't alone and i identified with the fact someone elsehad problems with the dream machine. You all are rude.
The only real problem was when Ron, the DK poster boy, decided to jump in and try to put down Pugsy, while she was responding to you.

prodigyplace

Post by prodigyplace » Thu Apr 12, 2018 5:52 pm

Barb (Seattle) wrote:
We do appreciate that fact.
A few rude and clueless people combined with some truthful but tactless ones make it appear that we are all rude.
(Oops. I think I insulted all the regulars except Pugsy)

Please visit our sponsor, CPAP.com at https://www.cpap.com/ for all your CPAP needs.

Pugsy

Post by Pugsy » Thu Apr 12, 2018 6:03 pm

Barb (Seattle) wrote:
Absolutely no need to remove your posts. I know what you were trying to do and so does everyone else except for one person here.
Don't worry about it.
You certainly weren't the first person to ever interject their own personal experience in a thread and I know you won't be the last.
It's not a big deal.

My comments were mainly so that people don't go assuming that it is the DreamStation itself as in all DreamStations that is the problem.
You would be having the same problem if you were using a ResMed or any of the other brands because it appears that you need a different type of machine if indeed the issues are centrals. The regular cpap/apap machines can't do what some people need for central apnea.

And...one thing about the M series...it didn't flag centrals. It couldn't. I have owned 3 of them myself. It wasn't until Respironics came up with the PR S1 that central flagging was available as its own classification of apnea.
If your DreamStation is flagging centrals now...you might have been having them on the M series and not even know it.
I have no way of knowing if you developed a new problem or not but M series machines didn't flag centrals.
The only apnea classifications were OA and hyponeas. People could have been having a bunch of centrals but no flagging when using the M series and older models. Old technology...vs new technology.