Apria after me for cost of stolen CPAP

General Discussion on any topic relating to CPAP and/or Sleep Apnea.
chartle

Re: Apria after me for cost of stolen CPAP

Post by chartle » Fri Apr 13, 2018 8:28 am

D.H. wrote:
Thu Apr 12, 2018 7:50 pm
Are you in possession of the machine? If so, I suggest that you remove the modem (don't make it easy for them you know if that you're using it or where it is).
I would assume not using it (based on whats posted assuming its no longer in possession of the OP) is reason they asked for the machine back in a letter that again at least OP says they never got.

But going on what you wrote if you got a check from the Insurance agency covering the cost of the machine yes you need to give that portion you got to the Insurance provider.

But here is the catch, I'm in the initial 3 month "rental" period so I effectively don't own the machine. i won't for a year.

D.H.

Post by D.H. » Fri Apr 13, 2018 8:34 am

chartle wrote:
Fri Apr 13, 2018 8:28 am
D.H. wrote:
Thu Apr 12, 2018 7:50 pm
Are you in possession of the machine? If so, I suggest that you remove the modem (don't make it easy for them you know if that you're using it or where it is).
I would assume not using it (based on whats posted assuming its no longer in possession of the OP) is reason they asked for the machine back in a letter that again at least OP says they never got.

But going on what you wrote if you got a check from the Insurance agency covering the cost of the machine yes you need to give that portion you got to the Insurance provider.

But here is the catch, I'm in the initial 3 month "rental" period so I effectively don't own the machine. i won't for a year.
Ironically, if the thief were using it, the patient would be seen as "compliant." Funny, isn't that!

Last edited by D.H. on Fri Apr 13, 2018 12:02 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Isoruku

Post by Isoruku » Fri Apr 13, 2018 8:41 am

Thanks for the feedback, everyone. It's early in this process, and I'll try to contact Apria directly today. I have a feeling that I'm stuck for the $1900. To answer a couple of questions posted: I'm not paying rent for it, my insurance company is. But I don't yet know if I'm being charged for the full retail value or the balance. And it was taken while on a trip out of state, so it's doubtful that homeowner's insurance would apply, but I suppose I can ask.

Will post again if and when this is resolved or at least more defined.

chartle

Post by chartle » Fri Apr 13, 2018 8:59 am

D.H. wrote:
Fri Apr 13, 2018 8:34 am
Ironically, if the thief were using it, the patient would be seen as "compliant." Ironic, isn't that!
:D
Isoruku wrote:
Fri Apr 13, 2018 8:41 am
Thanks for the feedback, everyone. It's early in this process, and I'll try to contact Apria directly today. I have a feeling that I'm stuck for the $1900. To answer a couple of questions posted: I'm not paying rent for it, my insurance company is. But I don't yet know if I'm being charged for the full retail value or the balance. And it was taken while on a trip out of state, so it's doubtful that homeowner's insurance would apply, but I suppose I can ask.

I'm pretty sure my homeowners covers stuff like this but how long ago was the incident and how long had you been using the machine?

LSAT

Post by LSAT » Fri Apr 13, 2018 12:00 pm

Isoruku wrote:

HO policy should cover personal items stolen...may be a $$ limit unless you have specific items listed.

D.H.

Post by D.H. » Fri Apr 13, 2018 12:04 pm

Deleted - Duplicate.

Last edited by D.H. on Fri Apr 13, 2018 4:51 pm, edited 1 time in total.

D.H.

Post by D.H. » Fri Apr 13, 2018 12:06 pm

D.H. wrote:
Fri Apr 13, 2018 12:04 pm
LSAT wrote:
Fri Apr 13, 2018 12:00 pm
Isoruku wrote:

HO policy should cover personal items stolen...may be a $$ limit unless you have specific items listed.
If you had travel insurance (the type call "trip cancellation/interruption") it might cover that.

Also, if the thief(ves) have the machine and have it plugged in, it can be located!

Last edited by D.H. on Fri Apr 13, 2018 4:52 pm, edited 1 time in total.

chunkyfrog
Location: Nebraska--I am sworn to keep the secret of this paradise.

Post by chunkyfrog » Fri Apr 13, 2018 12:34 pm

You no doubt filed a police report at the time.
Sometimes, there is a crime victims' fund that could help.
Medical equipment might push you to the head of the line.
If the perps are apprehended, there is a possibility of restitution.
Check with the police department in the location of the theft.

prodigyplace

Post by prodigyplace » Fri Apr 13, 2018 12:47 pm

D.H. wrote:
Fri Apr 13, 2018 12:06 pm
Also, if the thief(ves) have the machine and have it plugged in, it can be located!
If the machine has connected by cellular, Apria should be able to narrow down their search area to a cellular tower coverage area.

Law enforcement could then likely locate it closer.

Please visit our sponsor, CPAP.com at https://www.cpap.com/ for all your CPAP needs.

Pugsy

Post by Pugsy » Fri Apr 13, 2018 1:05 pm

prodigyplace wrote:
Fri Apr 13, 2018 12:47 pm
D.H. wrote:
If the machine has connected by cellular, Apria should be able to narrow down their search area to a cellular tower coverage area.

Well, if I had bought that stolen machine off Craigslist the first thing I would do is turn on airplane mode. :lol: :lol:

If you want to try the Eclipse mask and want a special promo code to get a little off the price...send me a private message.

Janknitz

Post by Janknitz » Fri Apr 13, 2018 1:20 pm

I doubt the thieves are using the machine. It's probably sitting on some pawn shop shelf.

Most cpaps don't cost that much brand new retail so something smells. Don't pay anybody anything without proof of the debt.

Now that it's with the collection agency, if you pay Crapria you will STILL be on the hook with the collection agency because they bought the debt from Crapria. The debt doesn't belong to Crapria anymore. Crapria will be happy to take your money, but the collection agency will still demand payment.

Depending on where it was stolen, there are many insurances which may be involved--hotels and carriers have insurance, your own insurance may cover it if it was in a vehicle you were driving or in your possession and you have homeowners or rental insurance.

But the fact that it is already with collections suggests that some time has passed. You may be out of luck because of that. If you had reported it to your health insurance company when it happened, they might have worked out a replacement between you and Crapria. And you would need a police report to deal with insurance agencies. Did you make one?

If worse comes to worse, negotiate with the collections agency. Once they prove how much you really owe, offer them 1/3 and expect them to get down to about 50% "if you pay today". If they won't go down that low, hang up, and let more time pass.

My guess is you only owe somewhat less than $1000 and it's not worth their time and money to sue you for that amount. However, it will negatively affect your credit.
What you need to know before you meet your DME http://tinyurl.com/2arffqx
Taming the Mirage Quattro http://tinyurl.com/2ft3lh8
Swift FX Fitting Guide http://tinyurl.com/22ur9ts
Don't Pay that Upcharge! http://tinyurl.com/2ck48rm

palerider

Post by palerider » Fri Apr 13, 2018 6:19 pm

prodigyplace wrote:
D.H. wrote:

Apria can't narrow down anything to a cellular tower anymore than YOU can if someone calls YOU from a cell phone. :roll:

Accounts to put on the foe list: dataq1, clownbell, gearchange, lynninnj, mper!?, DreamDiver, Geer1, almostadoctor, sleepgeek, ajack, stom, mogy, D.H., They often post misleading, timewasting stuff.

prodigyplace

Post by prodigyplace » Fri Apr 13, 2018 6:43 pm

palerider wrote:
Fri Apr 13, 2018 6:19 pm
prodigyplace wrote:
D.H. wrote:

Apria can't narrow down anything to a cellular tower anymore than YOU can if someone calls YOU from a cell phone. :roll:
They could report it as stolen along with the cellular information. Law enforcement can then get the location information.
If I had my missing phone call me I should be able to get information since I am the account owner.

Please visit our sponsor, CPAP.com at https://www.cpap.com/ for all your CPAP needs.

palerider

Post by palerider » Fri Apr 13, 2018 7:02 pm

prodigyplace wrote:
Fri Apr 13, 2018 6:43 pm
palerider wrote:
Fri Apr 13, 2018 6:19 pm
prodigyplace wrote:
D.H. wrote:

They could report it as stolen along with the cellular information. Law enforcement can then get the location information.
If I had my missing phone call me I should be able to get information since I am the account owner.
Law enforcement can get a warrant and get info from the cellular companies... yes. I doubt that the cell carrier will tell you, without a warrant... because they're like that. I could be wrong, of course.

Accounts to put on the foe list: dataq1, clownbell, gearchange, lynninnj, mper!?, DreamDiver, Geer1, almostadoctor, sleepgeek, ajack, stom, mogy, D.H., They often post misleading, timewasting stuff.

chunkyfrog
Location: Nebraska--I am sworn to keep the secret of this paradise.

Post by chunkyfrog » Fri Apr 13, 2018 7:28 pm

Just an observation, but law enforcement tend to try harder when
something expensive is taken from someone with money-
-not so much when poor folk lose old stuff.